By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - EA won't "Gimp" 360 game despite tough PS3 development

"well the C&C ont he n64 was made by westwood and that was before 2002"

Yes Redwood is the main EA location, Westwood was the developer that made C&C and is now the Los Angeles studio of EA. Westwood != Redwood Studios

Around the Network

ok so westwood=/=redwood studios

why did bring ssj12 bring C&C in this then?=]

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Kyros said:
"well the C&C ont he n64 was made by westwood and that was before 2002"

Yes Redwood is the main EA location, Westwood was the developer that made C&C and is now the Los Angeles studio of EA. Westwood != Redwood Studios

How?

Redwood Shores is near San Fran.

EA LA (which you could call westwood but I wouldn't.  To me they're different.) is a different studio all together. 

kirby007 said:

ok so westwood=/=redwood studios

why did bring ssj12 bring C&C in this then?=]

mixing up EA's studios that have wood in the titles

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

X-Man said:
Talk about a spin, the OP is an obvious fanboy.

Yeah, I sort of pushed the boundaries with the title to make sure this thread would be read...

sue me!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

Also. The way they phrase it... it seems like the PS3's code being optimized has no advantage or disadvantage to the 360 and won't improve the 360 version at all, the code just needs to be written differently for it to work best on the PS3 because the PS3 is a pain in the ass to program for.

Makes you understand why more and more companies are starting with the PS3 as the lead console. Mainly because you have to or otherwise you have to redo a lot of work you've already done.

I'm not sure about the "not gimping" it thing though.  All that extra time optimizing code is time taken away from perfecting gameplay and other aspects. (Or even lengthning games.)

I think that explains a lot about the PS3's early library, that thankfully should start getting resolved once people figure out how to optimize the code, and how to do it quickly.

gebx said:
X-Man said:
Talk about a spin, the OP is an obvious fanboy.

Yeah, I sort of pushed the boundaries with the title to make sure this thread would be read...

sue me!

+11 for honesty :P I was just so confused because I just played Burnout Paradise >_>;; and I saw no such "gimping", in fact I don't think I've played a game on the 360 that was open sandbox, 60 frames per second and 720p ._.;

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

ssj12 said:
Kasz216 said:
Kyros said:
"wasn't that made by westwood?"

Oh god I am really old, now amnesia comes along. Apparently Redwood is the core EA developer studio (EA is based in Redwood) + Maxis(SimCity)

That would be Redwood Shore then. So. Same studio.

so basically the names of EA's studios change as quickly as a bowl of ice cream.. interesting.

It's been that way since at least 2004. I'd guess they changed their name when Maxis joined them or before... for no reason. Either that or it's always been Redwood Shore Studios and you never noticed because people cut off shores just because the name seemed too long.

I think it may actually be the later.

Nice job though, insulting the studio (which granted it is EA) rather then taking a minute or so to do a google search. 

Kasz216 said:
ssj12 said:
Kasz216 said:
Kyros said:
"wasn't that made by westwood?"

Oh god I am really old, now amnesia comes along. Apparently Redwood is the core EA developer studio (EA is based in Redwood) + Maxis(SimCity)

That would be Redwood Shore then. So. Same studio.

so basically the names of EA's studios change as quickly as a bowl of ice cream.. interesting.

It's been that way since at least 2004. I'd guess they changed their name when Maxis joined them or before... for no reason. Either that or it's always been Redwood Shore Studios and you never noticed because people cut off shores just because the name seemed too long.

I think it may actually be the later.

Nice job though, insulting the studio (which granted it is EA) rather then taking a minute or so to do a google search. 

i wasnt insulting them as I love C&C and Battlefield. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

gebx said:

http://www.videogamer.com/news/06-02-2008-7450.html

EA Redwood Shores will "optimise the crap" out of the PS3 version of upcoming sci-fi survival horror game to make it great.

The executive producer of EA's new sci-fi horror game Dead Space has told VideoGamer.com that the development team won't "gimp" the 360 version because the "PS3 can't do it".

All editoral, not a quote from the developer.