By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the PS3 REALLY getting more AAA games than the 360 this year?

starcraft said:

There is no question that the PS3 will be getting the better share of the ESTABLISHED games this year, however even in this area Sony's advantage over the 360 is not as vast as many claim.

However, many people are rountinely claiming that the PS3 will have more AAA games than the 360 this year, and I thought I'd do an examination of the likelihood this will actually happen. I define a AAA title as one that has an average score OVER 90%

To help make this comparison, I will be using gamerankings.com and the thread at the bottom of the page (I trust ssj12 is a big enough Sony fan to put every game I need to consider for the PS3 in that thread), as well as my own knowledge.

What follows is a list of the past few titles and their scores (or only one if available) in each PS3 series releasing THIS year. I will not include multiplatform titles or timed exclusives unless there is a reasonable chance that the other console's version WONT launch thisyear.

PS3:

Killzone 2: Killzone 1 scored 73.5 NOT AAA

Singstar: Majority of titles under 80%, PS3 version released in Europe and at 82.5%. NOT AAA

Metal Gear Solid 4: Majority of main PSX and PS2 titles over 90%, LIKELY AAA

Gran Turismo 5: Last title wasn't AAA, however most have been. Probably WONT be out this year. Likely AAA

Final Fantasy XIII: Probably WONT be out this year, the majority of titles are around 90%. Likely AAA

Tekken 6: Inconsistent history, last two titles have MISSED AAA status. POSSIBLE AAA

Resistance 2: Last title NOT AAA, however great developers and expense spared on sequel. POSSIBLE AAA

Motorstorm 2: Last title scored 82.3. NOT AAA

SOCOM: Confrontation: No home console has EVER made AAA status. NOT AAA

Total likely AAA titles: 3

Total possible AAA titles: 2

Sony has LBP and Haze that are unproven titles that may go AAA with big budgets, hype and talent.

Two of Sony's likely AAA titles may not make 2008.

XBOX 360:

Halo Wars: Every title easily AAA, however this game is produced by different studio. Possible AAA

Fable 2: Last title received 85.2 on gamerankings. NOT AAA

Gears of War 2: Last title received 93.8. Likely AAA

Forza Motorsport 3: Last titles at 92.9% and 89.8%. Maybe not in 2008. Likely AAA

Splinter Cell: Conviction: Many titles, the majority on Xbox over 90%. Most recent just under. Likely AAA

Ninja Gaiden 2: Both Xbox titles were easily AAA. Likely AAA

Banjo-Kazooie 3: Both previous console titles were AAA. Likely AAA

Viva Pinata 2: Former title was 84.9 on gamerankings. NOT AAA

Total likely AAA titles: 5

Total possible AAA titles: 1

Microsoft has a clear advantage in new IP this year with Too Human, Alan Wake and Lost Odyssey, with general consensus being they have more unannounced games than Sony. However despite recent rumours to the contrary, I remain doubtful that FM3 will make 2008

From this list, drawn from an unbiased statistics gathering website, we can see that whilst Sony may have many high-profilegames that are easy to market, the Xbox 360 has a far greater chance of a large number of AAA games than the PS3.

Edit: It is also worth noting that most multi-platform games that were already released that I encountered has a better score on the Xbox 360 than on the PS3. 

thats crap xbox ass was handed to them this year and it will keep going. i cant understand why xbots cant see why sony will blow them away.

its a higher price and still is selling pass xbox weekly and it wont stop lol.

Around the Network
hitoriki said:
what about this:

system sellers:

ps3: 3

xbox 360: 1

hahahah thats so true no ones talking about none of those games mab ninja gaiden...... MGS4 GT5 and ff13 are better games then microsofts WHOLE list this year hands down..... i dont wonna metion killzone and resistance because they are gonna be awesome. (8 player co-op on random stages? unmatched)

At this point, AAA is far more about sales than it is about quality. Both consoles will not be lacking for quality titles, but they each need marquee names that will draw in the last-gen fence sitters - especially Microsoft as most of their target audience is made up of PS2 owners who would be predisposed to get a PS3 if not for the current price.

On the PS3 list, GT5, MGS4, TK6, and FF13 certainly fit the "AAA" bill as far as marketing goes.

With the 360, the only one that immediately grabs you is Halo Wars, and even that is a risk because it is not a FPS. Moreover, most of those titles - Halo, Fable, Viva Pinata, GoW, Forza - have an XBox fanbase, and thus will mean little to those PS2 owners the 360 needs to attract.

I said last year that MS needed to bury Sony before 2008. This is preciselythe reason why. Unless MS has some magic up it's sleeves, the PS3 is very likely going to outsell the 360 this calendar year on the strength of that lineup.

I like what the 360 is doing in 08 better than what the PS3 is doing. PS3 is all hype with shitty games like Metal Gear and Killzone. 360 has gameplay with Ninja Gaiden. Give gameplay over hype any day.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Riot Of The Blood said:
I like what the 360 is doing in 08 better than what the PS3 is doing. PS3 is all hype with shitty games like Metal Gear and Killzone. 360 has gameplay with Ninja Gaiden. Give gameplay over hype any day.

Ah, so you like the fact that the 360 has more games coming that you like. That does make sense.

(At first I was going to attack you for attacking MGS, but then I figured I'd let it slide, since it is merely an opinion, after all.)

Around the Network
starcraft said:

There is no question that the PS3 will be getting the better share of the ESTABLISHED games this year, however even in this area Sony's advantage over the 360 is not as vast as many claim.

However, many people are rountinely claiming that the PS3 will have more AAA games than the 360 this year, and I thought I'd do an examination of the likelihood this will actually happen. I define a AAA title as one that has an average score OVER 90%

To help make this comparison, I will be using gamerankings.com and the thread at the bottom of the page (I trust ssj12 is a big enough Sony fan to put every game I need to consider for the PS3 in that thread), as well as my own knowledge.

What follows is a list of the past few titles and their scores (or only one if available) in each PS3 series releasing THIS year. I will not include multiplatform titles or timed exclusives unless there is a reasonable chance that the other console's version WONT launch thisyear.

PS3:

Killzone 2: Killzone 1 scored 73.5 NOT AAA

Singstar: Majority of titles under 80%, PS3 version released in Europe and at 82.5%. NOT AAA

Metal Gear Solid 4: Majority of main PSX and PS2 titles over 90%, LIKELY AAA

Gran Turismo 5: Last title wasn't AAA, however most have been. Probably WONT be out this year. Likely AAA

Final Fantasy XIII: Probably WONT be out this year, the majority of titles are around 90%. Likely AAA

Tekken 6: Inconsistent history, last two titles have MISSED AAA status. POSSIBLE AAA

Resistance 2: Last title NOT AAA, however great developers and expense spared on sequel. POSSIBLE AAA

Motorstorm 2: Last title scored 82.3. NOT AAA

SOCOM: Confrontation: No home console has EVER made AAA status. NOT AAA

Total likely AAA titles: 3

Total possible AAA titles: 2

Sony has LBP and Haze that are unproven titles that may go AAA with big budgets, hype and talent.

Two of Sony's likely AAA titles may not make 2008.

XBOX 360:

Halo Wars: Every title easily AAA, however this game is produced by different studio. Possible AAA

Fable 2: Last title received 85.2 on gamerankings. NOT AAA

Gears of War 2: Last title received 93.8. Likely AAA

Forza Motorsport 3: Last titles at 92.9% and 89.8%. Maybe not in 2008. Likely AAA

Splinter Cell: Conviction: Many titles, the majority on Xbox over 90%. Most recent just under. Likely AAA

Ninja Gaiden 2: Both Xbox titles were easily AAA. Likely AAA

Banjo-Kazooie 3: Both previous console titles were AAA. Likely AAA

Viva Pinata 2: Former title was 84.9 on gamerankings. NOT AAA

Total likely AAA titles: 5

Total possible AAA titles: 1

Microsoft has a clear advantage in new IP this year with Too Human, Alan Wake and Lost Odyssey, with general consensus being they have more unannounced games than Sony. However despite recent rumours to the contrary, I remain doubtful that FM3 will make 2008

From this list, drawn from an unbiased statistics gathering website, we can see that whilst Sony may have many high-profilegames that are easy to market, the Xbox 360 has a far greater chance of a large number of AAA games than the PS3.

Edit: It is also worth noting that most multi-platform games that were already released that I encountered has a better score on the Xbox 360 than on the PS3.

As I have written previously, starcraft is such a x360 fanboy, and his comments show it, it's no use taking him seriously. If he only could start by writing even slightly unbiased, I would answer, but with these writings, no chance. Leave him alone!

Lost my faith in VGChartz. Too many stupid and ignorant Americans, even as moderators.

It's a shame, really. "The Boss" should do something radical about this Americanization, but it seems hardly feasible, so my days here are numbered.

makingmusic476 said:
Riot Of The Blood said:

Ah, so like the fact that the 360 has more games coming that you like. That does make sense.

(At first I was going to attack you for attacking MGS, but then I figured I'd let it slide, since it is merely an opinion, after all.)

I bought Metal Gear for the PS2, and I hated it. You'll never hear this from any other playstation fan:

I hate KH

I hate God of war

I hate gran turismo

I hate GTA

I hate Metal Gear

IT's going to be hard for the PS3 to have a lineup that fits my taste. I'm probably the most nutty PS3 fan on this site, lol! 

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Riot Of The Blood said:
makingmusic476 said:
Riot Of The Blood said:

Ah, so like the fact that the 360 has more games coming that you like. That does make sense.

I bought Metal Gear for the PS2, and I hated it. You'll never hear this from any other playstation fan:

I hate KH

I hate God of war

I hate gran turismo

I hate GTA

I hate Metal Gear

IT's going to be hard for the PS3 to have a lineup that fits my taste. I'm probably the most nutty PS3 fan on this site, lol!

Well I don't like three out of those five either, lol, though I suppose I haven't played enough KH to form a definitive opinion.  

dabaus513 said:
Since when was ninja gaiden and splinter cell consdered triple AAA?! We all know haze and lost odyssey have 8.5 written all over them.
since Ninja Gaiden and NGB scored over 94% and most splinter cell titles scored over 90 - 92% and the first one over 94%

ssj12 said:
Motorstorm not AAA... you fail. This generation 80%+ is AAA.

Also you missed GT5: Prologue. It is a full game after all.

Motorstorm 1 had a score in the low 80's.  It was NOT AAA.  Why do you expect the sequel will be?  GT5 Prologue is not a full game, even if Sony prices it as such.  But it will be a AAA demo.  It's funny how I never hear things like "this generation 80%+ is AAA" from Wii and 360 gamers.  That's complete crap IMO.

Oh, and thanks for hijacking a comparision between the Xbox 360 and PS3 and turning it into a PC thread.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS