By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 TIFF Exploit found: Hackers frothing at the mouth...

same applies with psn and ps3 games. play a piece of unsigned code whilst online and say bye to psn.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
I'm amazed they already haven't cracked it.

Probably being extra careful due to them not wanting to brick a 400-600 machine.
Remember the PS3GRILL? Quite a few people don't care about a 400-600 dollar machine =P

HappySqurriel said:
zackblue said:
Well this is terrible, they have already taken the wii and psp, since the ps3 is more hardcore than casual, this means software sales would die if they succeed. There own install base can actually kill them..

If they're successful in producing a soft mod this could be even worse because the concern about opening your system, damaging the hardware, and voiding your warantee would be gone...

And that is why this is a *very* bad thing. A lot of people don't mod because they have to open up their consoles and void their warranty or they don't want to just go through the effort. This is (presumably) easy and it doesn't void your warranty.

Since the PS3 already has a pretty good little handy browser, someone just has to follow a random link they mght find on a forum, think it could be fun to try, and suddenly they're hooked on free games.

Once this stuff is all figured out, I know a guy who will finally buy a ps3. I don't think he's bought a game in ten years, but he plays more than me. :|

Unfortunately any sort of exploit can be easily patched in an update...
I do find it amusing that both the PS3 and PSP have tiff exploits :)

....but if our hacker friends could release updates to customized firmware like the psp........*drools* 

Around the Network

If this takes off and PS3 becomes like PSP, I will seriously get pissed off at Sony and use it myself and stop buying games.

Stuck by PSP (mostly) when it came to piracy, they didn't do jack shit to stop it, not puting up with it again.

the 360 is hacked and isn't affected by this! the ps3 gets updated way too often for any hack to make any significant progress, before it gets knocked down to square 1 again.

DOATS1 said:
the 360 is hacked and isn't affected by this! the ps3 gets updated way too often for any hack to make any significant progress, before it gets knocked down to square 1 again.

Do you have to void your warranty to hack your 360?  Because this PS3 exploit I'm guessing you're just going to have to download something which isn't going to void your warranty.

The PS3 being open is both a blessing and a curse. We get the UT3 mods, but we also get hacked. I hope this doens't work out, cause I don't want another PSP case again.

twesterm said:
DOATS1 said:

Do you have to void your warranty to hack your 360?  Because this PS3 exploit I'm guessing you're just going to have to download something which isn't going to void your warranty.

i have not got the slightest clue. if the ps3's hack is as easy as downloading software then sony need to fix up. but i still think it wont be much of an issue as the user would have to sacrifice alot of other services to mod their ps3.