By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

6800XT reviews out. Without raytracing they mostly delivered with what they promise. Around 3080 performance. With Raytracing there a much bigger drop in FPS then there is with 3080 so meh if you care a lot about raytracing.

Around the Network

I think it might also depends on the game as well. AMD optimized games might perform well in RT. As we can see from the SOTR comparison.

hinch said:

I think it might also depends on the game as well. AMD optimized games might perform well in RT. As we can see from the SOTR comparison.

Which benchmark you looking at the SOTR I saw showed AMD ahead without raytracing but clear win for 3080 when raytracing was enable.  This with DLSS off in both cases. 

Here's the usual review round-up for AMD's 6800 and 6800XT cards: https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-rx-6800-series-review-roundup

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

@Cyran

Still below the 3080 but these are early drivers. I mean its not great compared to Ampere but yeah :P

Last edited by hinch - on 18 November 2020

Around the Network

6800 XT/6800 reviews are out.
From what I can tell, based on the view you watch as it's dependent on the game.
1080p, 6800 XT > 3080
1440p, 6800 XT trades blows with 3080
4k, 3080 > 6800 XT
RT, 3070 = 6800 XT

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 18 November 2020

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

hinch said:

@Cyran

Still below the 3080 but these are early drivers. I mean its not great compared to Ampere but yeah :P

Going to website it seem you comparing 3080 benchmark to AMD slide which is not comparing it on the exact same test system which is really the only reliable way to do it.  I see the slide you link which is 3080 and 2080ti then a separate slide showing AMD slide for 6800XT.

Linus includes that game in there video for a more independent comparison.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUzCn-ITJ_o&ab_channel=LinusTechTips

Yeah true its still behind and closer to Turing in RT, which is par for course. If you want RT sticking to Nvidia is going to be the best option.

Interestingly, from Hardware Unboxed review, SAM provides huge uplift in performance in Valhalla @16:58 

14% performance increase at 1440P with SAM enabled and 15% at 4k.

hinch said:

Yeah true its still behind and closer to Turing in RT, which is par for course. If you want RT sticking to Nvidia is going to be the best option.

Interestingly, from Hardware Unboxed review, SAM provides huge uplift in performance in Valhalla @16:58 

14% performance increase at 1440P with SAM enabled and 15% at 4k.

Yeah SAM looking like decent uplift just wish they did not limit it to ZEN 3.  I would still choose Nvidia today even if I was on Zen 3 because of ray tracing performance but if AMD was better with SAM I still would have to go NVidia because upgrading CPU is not a option for me.  My computer both my work and my gaming computer.  For work I need ability to kick on multiple VMs for testing stuff so more threads the better.  I am on a threadripper 3970 for that work requirement and I not willing to throw 2k at a 5970 to upgrade to Zen 3 when that come out in 2021 (I assuming it on the way).

SAM is pretty impressive in some titles for sure and it does put 6800 XT ahead on average against the 3080 in Raster. But Nvidia is also getting their own version of SAM.

As for the stock levels. Yea, they are just as bad as the 3080 launch was based on the bot server I am in. Lasted for 3 seconds and gone.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850