By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

JEMC said:
Pemalite said:

The move to 3D didn't actually bother me that much.

It was all the gameplay changes that deviated from the traditional AoE formula that lost me.

Asking the city for resources/units was odd and not very well implemented.

I'm a fan of the 2 graphics but I think we're at a point where we can have 3d graphics in RTS that look quite nice. The problem was that early 3D RTS looked like shit.

Also, where is my Warlords Battlecry 4?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

If 4K is not enough for you and have $5,000 lying around, DELL has something for you:

Dell UltraSharp 32in 8K UP3218K Monitor Available for 4999 USD
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/dell-ultrasharp-32in-8k-up3218k-monitor-available-for-4999-usd.html
Dell recently announced their UP3218K monitor, not just something Ultra HD, it handles 8K Ultra HD at 7680x4320 pixels @ 60 Hz at 100% of the Adobe RGB- and sRGB color spaces. The pricing is confirmed at 4999 USD, the display is available now.

With the new UltraSharp 32 Ultra HD 8K Monitor (UP3218K), they’re pushing the boundaries of innovation to feature four times more content than Ultra HD 4K resolution and 16 times more content than Full HD in addition to 33.2 million pixels of resolution compared to a 5K monitor’s 14 million pixels of resolution. The new UP3218K offers breakthrough realism with the finest details and color-critical performance for a truly transcendent visual experience thanks to Dell PremierColor, which offers 1.07 billion colors and 100 percent Adobe RGB and 100 percent sRGB, and an unprecedented 280 ppi to view most images in native format.

The Dell UltraSharp 32 Ultra HD 8K Monitor (UP3218K) is be available since March 23 on Dell.com in the United States starting at $4,999.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

vivster said:
JEMC said:

Asking the city for resources/units was odd and not very well implemented.

I'm a fan of the 2 graphics but I think we're at a point where we can have 3d graphics in RTS that look quite nice. The problem was that early 3D RTS looked like shit.

Also, where is my Warlords Battlecry 4?

We can basically say that AoE 3 was surrounded by a lot of infortunate circumstances that played against it.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

If 4K is not enough for you and have $5,000 lying around, DELL has something for you:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/dell-ultrasharp-32in-8k-up3218k-monitor-available-for-4999-usd.html
Dell recently announced their UP3218K monitor, not just something Ultra HD, it handles 8K Ultra HD at 7680x4320 pixels @ 60 Hz at 100% of the Adobe RGB- and sRGB color spaces. The pricing is confirmed at 4999 USD, the display is available now.

With the new UltraSharp 32 Ultra HD 8K Monitor (UP3218K), they’re pushing the boundaries of innovation to feature four times more content than Ultra HD 4K resolution and 16 times more content than Full HD in addition to 33.2 million pixels of resolution compared to a 5K monitor’s 14 million pixels of resolution. The new UP3218K offers breakthrough realism with the finest details and color-critical performance for a truly transcendent visual experience thanks to Dell PremierColor, which offers 1.07 billion colors and 100 percent Adobe RGB and 100 percent sRGB, and an unprecedented 280 ppi to view most images in native format.

The Dell UltraSharp 32 Ultra HD 8K Monitor (UP3218K) is be available since March 23 on Dell.com in the United States starting at $4,999.

Not even 144Hz and G-sync. This monitor is useless.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
JEMC said:

I wonder how many cards and DP ports you would need to drive this kind of resolution at 144Hz.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
vivster said:

I wonder how many cards and DP ports you would need to drive this kind of resolution at 144Hz.

We need a new cable. Something that isn't as limited as copper. I propose optical fibre. We can already easily get multiple Tbps through a single fiber while stupid copper is proud of 100Gbps in a gigantic cable. DP is lounging around in pitiful 30Gbps on very short distances.

Fibre is so widely used today in networking, it's time to enter end customer use.

vivster said:
JEMC said:

We need a new cable. Something that isn't as limited as copper. I propose optical fibre. We can already easily get multiple Tbps through a single fiber while stupid copper is proud of 100Gbps in a gigantic cable. DP is lounging around in pitiful 30Gbps on very short distances.

Fibre is so widely used today in networking, it's time to enter end customer use.

Copper suffers from signal attenuation, the signal weakens over a distance.

However, you can make copper scale up to high speeds, you just need to shorten the distance that the signal begins to attenuate by... You guessed it. Repeating the signal.
Adding small repeaters along a cable can allow for massive increases in usable bandwidth, thus far we have really only focused on modulation, interleaving and other technologies to bolster bandwidth on a copper cable.

Copper isn't at it's limit just yet.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
vivster said:

Copper suffers from signal attenuation, the signal weakens over a distance.

However, you can make copper scale up to high speeds, you just need to shorten the distance that the signal begins to attenuate by... You guessed it. Repeating the signal.
Adding small repeaters along a cable can allow for massive increases in usable bandwidth, thus far we have really only focused on modulation, interleaving and other technologies to bolster bandwidth on a copper cable.

Copper isn't at it's limit just yet.

Of course it's not at its limit yet, but trying to keep outdated technology desperately alive is a bad use of resources. It's time for the optical revolution. It's the same bullshit in my country where idiots try to desperately keep ISDN alive.

Copper is fine for 90% of use cases but that doesn't mean you should tryto fill up the last 10% as well. High end should easily have multiple options of fibre available by now but it doesbn't. Nobody bothered to go there and just accepted the limitations of mainstream technology for the high end.

Wouldn't the use of optical fibre require a redesign on how the signal is processed in both GPUs and monitors? That, and the lack of a standard, will prevent that from happening anythime soon.

JEMC said:

Wouldn't the use of optical fibre require a redesign on how the signal is processed in both GPUs and monitors? That, and the lack of a standard, will prevent that from happening anythime soon.

Optical signals get converted back into electrical signals anyway, so on that front nothing would change. The only thing you would need is a connector, there are a wide variety of optical connectors out there already. But I don't see how that would be a problem. You also need new standards for further iterations of DP and HDMI.