By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

JEMC said:
Pemalite said:

Also. Wii Emulation so accurate, you can buy games from the Wii Shop. Haha

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-17-wii-emulator-is-so-accurate-you-can-buy-games-from-the-wii-shop-channel

Well, that's awkward. 

Pemalite said:

I saw they got leaked. But I haven't had time to look at it properly and study them. Later. :P

They're nothing more than a couple of pics or so of the case with the words "it's got a soul" and "it's got a brain". There's not much to study.

Actually. You would be surprised. (I checked out the new info.)

What we do know is the chip is monolithic. The size is about 530-560mm2. Titan X is 471mm2. That's almost a 15-20% larger chip.
Titan X had roughly 12 Billion Transistors, so Vega should be a good 14+ Billion Transistors.

Other information we have gleaned is that it uses two PCI-E power cables, so it's using 150w or more power.

The HBM2 memory is 2.5X larger than HBM1, interposers don't get much bigger. The HBM2 memory is twice as fast, has twice the density as HBM1.

All in all Vega is gonna be big, expensive and probably consume a ton of power.

The new NCU features are already known, so I won't touch upon them.

The real Question is... How will Vega stack up against Volta or Pascal refresh?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

So apparently, bringing an unopened ryzen 7 in your baggage to murica will get you into trouble. I had to spend 2 hours answering questions in custom protection office = = wth

m_csquare said:
So apparently, bringing an unopened ryzen 7 in your baggage to murica will get you into trouble. I had to spend 2 hours answering questions in custom protection office = = wth

Intel paying off customs  

This is so frustrating. I would've played tons more of Nier but the port is just so awful. It may be a really good game but it makes it hard to even play. I hope there will be a patch very soon.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
This is so frustrating. I would've played tons more of Nier but the port is just so awful. It may be a really good game but it makes it hard to even play. I hope there will be a patch very soon.

There will soon be one, either oficial or made by mods.

But it's odd, Platinum has done several PC ports before, I don't know why there are so many problems with this game.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

What are the big problems currently with Nier? I browsed through a bunch of reviews on Steam and they seemed quite positive on it's performance with the main issues been a resolution bug in full screen or about poor performance on GTX 7xx cards.

WoodenPints said:

What are the big problems currently with Nier? I browsed through a bunch of reviews on Steam and they seemed quite positive on it's performance with the main issues been a resolution bug in full screen or about poor performance on GTX 7xx cards.

Performance isn't the problem for me. it's rock solid at the highest settings. But it crashes, loses my settings, I'm forced to use a 3rd party tool because it doesn't support the DS4. Then there are major audio issues in the cutscenes for me. As if it's not bad enough that they are really choppy and low quality.

This is just a very half assed mod, the missing controller support and no borderless window show that whoever ported it has never played a proper PC game.

edit: just realized the sound issues are probably on my part. Still, shitty port.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Pemalite said:
JEMC said:

Well, that's awkward. 

They're nothing more than a couple of pics or so of the case with the words "it's got a soul" and "it's got a brain". There's not much to study.

Actually. You would be surprised. (I checked out the new info.)

What we do know is the chip is monolithic. The size is about 530-560mm2. Titan X is 471mm2. That's almost a 15-20% larger chip.
Titan X had roughly 12 Billion Transistors, so Vega should be a good 14+ Billion Transistors.

Other information we have gleaned is that it uses two PCI-E power cables, so it's using 150w or more power.

The HBM2 memory is 2.5X larger than HBM1, interposers don't get much bigger. The HBM2 memory is twice as fast, has twice the density as HBM1.

All in all Vega is gonna be big, expensive and probably consume a ton of power.

The new NCU features are already known, so I won't touch upon them.

The real Question is... How will Vega stack up against Volta or Pascal refresh?

Hmm

About a month ago Videocardz published an article with a blurry pic of a Vega board with the power connectors exposed. It had a pair of 8+6-pin power connectors:

The engineering samples use at least 225W of power.

As for the size, we have to go one more month back, when tech sites made articles about Vega's architecture. In those articles, some sites had a pic of Vega in the hands of Raja Koduri. Using that pic, Videocardz made another article trying to calculate the size of it

Their conclusion or estimation, was that Vega was between 520-540 mm2. Not too far from the numbers you've seen, and still smaller than Fiji.

With all that said, it was a no brainer that Vega would be bigger (and therefore more expensive) and use more power than Polaris. The question is how much.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Hei, did any of you buy a Raspberry Pi board? Well, you're not so special...

Sales soar and Raspberry Pi beats Commodore 64
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspberry-pi-sales/
Raspberry Pi achieved this milestone by selling north of 12.5 million boards in five years. This figure beats the previous third place holder, the Commodore 64.

There's also a diagrm showing the sales percentage of the different models.

JEMC said:

Hmm

About a month ago Videocardz published an article with a blurry pic of a Vega board with the power connectors exposed. It had a pair of 8+6-pin power connectors:

<SNIP>

The engineering samples use at least 225W of power.

Well. It's about 2.5x larger than polaris which in turn was a 150w TDP part. I wouldn't be surprised if it's hitting 250w or more.
I say 150w at a minimum due to the two PCI-E cables.

JEMC said:

Their conclusion or estimation, was that Vega was between 520-540 mm2. Not too far from the numbers you've seen, and still smaller than Fiji.

With all that said, it was a no brainer that Vega would be bigger (and therefore more expensive) and use more power than Polaris. The question is how much.

The thing with Fiji was that it wasn't built on a cutting edge process, it was built on a very mature at-the-time 28nm process, so they could take that process to it's extreme... And AMD and nVidia did.

14nm isn't at the same point of it's maturity as Fiji was on 28nm, I think if Fiji had twice the amount of DRAM, it might have actually aged better, but sadly that didn't end up being the case.

Without a doubt, Vega is Fiji's successor. And that is a good thing, AMD needs to return to the high-end, even if they are simply just going to rebadged GPU's from the last 6 years in their "new" 500 series lineup and sprinkle Vega on top.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--