By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

BasilZero said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Damn, what did Western Digital and Nordstrom do to get 0% lmao

Fire people, mostly.

Darc Requiem said:

I recently did a total upgrade of my main rig. I went from a 5800X, 32GB DDR4 3600, and a 6900XT to a 7800X3D, 32GB DDR5 6000, and a 7900XTX. TLDR; The 7900XTX was on sale, I had like $60 in Best Buy certificates, and selling my 6900XT made the card cost as much as a 7800XT.

I basically had enough left over parts to build another system out of the old parts with a case and new GPU. I literally had no reason to but I bought an Arc A770 16GB and a Fractal case just to mess around with Intel Arc. Honestly the experience has been pretty smooth. I've, ironically, had more issues with my 4080 laptop (it's a gimped desktop 4070Ti I hate laptop naming schemes). The only game I've tried that runs terrible is Star Citizen. I know Starfield isn't supposed to work well but it runs fine for me to bad the game is mid. I'd be pissed if I didn't get the game for free with GPU and CPU.*. I like having first hand access to all three GPU manufacturers.

I prefer AMD's software by a mile. I only game so I have no insight into productivity tasks. Intel's software certainly looks nicer than Nvidia's but I haven't delved deep enough to it to judge it's functionality. I don't like GeForce experience at all. Am the only that doesn't care about Frame Generation? The games you need it for, games that run at 30-40fps, look smooth but feel like crap. The games that don't need it, games that run 60fpd+, feel fine but it's pointless because I'm already getting a high frame rate.

Side note: Did anyone else have to roll back to the previous GeForce driver? The lastest driver was causing my laptop to hard lock up or crash. I thought I got another bad laptop. I had to RMA the first one. Ended up being a bad CPU. I guess I was due. I've never had a bad CPU in 30 years of PC gaming and only have had one bad GPU

*Gave the second copy away....AMD didn't make easy. I had to do the hardware verification and then give the person my AMD Rewards login info to claim it. Wouldn't recommend that unless you trust the person.

Congratulations on your new system... or systems. That 770 may be a collectionist piece of hardware in some years .

And no, you're not the only one that doesn't care about Frame Generation. I care about real frames in a selection of games, because that will tell me what to really expect from a given GPU in terms of performance.

Darc Requiem said:

Ugh, now I remember why I never post here from my phone...

It's not only because of your phone. The site has been quite sluggish today.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Intel’s next-gen Arrow Lake-S CPUs target 5% single-thread and 15% multi-thread performance gain, leaked slide suggests

https://wccftech.com/intel-arrow-lake-s-desktop-cpus-up-to-5-percent-ipc-15-multi-threaded-performance-leak/

A lot lower than I expected, that's for sure. Take it with a grain of salt until it comes out

AMD Radeon RX 6750 GRE 12 GB Graphics Card Now Shipping In Pre-Built PCs, DIY Launch on 18th October

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6750-gre-12-gb-graphics-card-shipping-pcs-diy-launch-18th-october/

MSI Intros “CPU Fast Throttle Threshold” BIOS Feature In Z790 & Z690 Motherboards, Supports Intel 14th Gen CPUs

https://wccftech.com/msi-cpu-fast-throttle-threshold-bios-z790-z690-motherboards-supports-intel-14th-gen-cpus/

OLED Monitor Shipments Predicted to Soar by 323% in 2023; 2024 Shipments Expected to Surpass One Million Units

https://www.techpowerup.com/314634/oled-monitor-shipments-predicted-to-soar-by-323-in-2023-2024-shipments-expected-to-surpass-one-million-units

Considering we will have a lot more options for OLED monitors next year and had a lot of options this year, not unsurprising.

Intel Adds New Arc Alchemist GPU PCI IDs In Linux Drivers, Alchemist Refresh On The Way?

https://wccftech.com/intel-adds-new-arc-alchemist-gpu-pci-ids-in-linux-drivers-alchemist-refresh-on-the-way/

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Darc Requiem said:

I recently did a total upgrade of my main rig. I went from a 5800X, 32GB DDR4 3600, and a 6900XT to a 7800X3D, 32GB DDR5 6000, and a 7900XTX. TLDR; The 7900XTX was on sale, I had like $60 in Best Buy certificates, and selling my 6900XT made the card cost as much as a 7800XT.

I basically had enough left over parts to build another system out of the old parts with a case and new GPU. I literally had no reason to but I bought an Arc A770 16GB and a Fractal case just to mess around with Intel Arc. Honestly the experience has been pretty smooth. I've, ironically, had more issues with my 4080 laptop (it's a gimped desktop 4070Ti I hate laptop naming schemes). The only game I've tried that runs terrible is Star Citizen. I know Starfield isn't supposed to work well but it runs fine for me to bad the game is mid. I'd be pissed if I didn't get the game for free with GPU and CPU.*. I like having first hand access to all three GPU manufacturers.

I prefer AMD's software by a mile. I only game so I have no insight into productivity tasks. Intel's software certainly looks nicer than Nvidia's but I haven't delved deep enough to it to judge it's functionality. I don't like GeForce experience at all. Am the only that doesn't care about Frame Generation? The games you need it for, games that run at 30-40fps, look smooth but feel like crap. The games that don't need it, games that run 60fpd+, feel fine but it's pointless because I'm already getting a high frame rate.

Side note: Did anyone else have to roll back to the previous GeForce driver? The lastest driver was causing my laptop to hard lock up or crash. I thought I got another bad laptop. I had to RMA the first one. Ended up being a bad CPU. I guess I was due. I've never had a bad CPU in 30 years of PC gaming and only have had one bad GPU

*Gave the second copy away....AMD didn't make easy. I had to do the hardware verification and then give the person my AMD Rewards login info to claim it. Wouldn't recommend that unless you trust the person.

I don't know a single person who cares about frame generation I see no reason where you would ever want to use it they recommend a 70+fps as a baseline but if your getting a solid 70+ base then why would you degrade your experience by enabling frame generation it's just another few letter pointless technology that companies can spin the PR on and give people fomo for me it's already thrown in the bin with FSR, DLSS, PhysX, Hairworks, AFMF, Ray Tracing, Power of the cloud, Cell processor, Power of the SSD etc... it's very full now I will need to hire out a bigger dumpster soon to fit everything in as we will rapidly see more and more come out.

Darc Requiem said:

Congrats on your builds. Glad to hear that Intel GPUs are working quite well as I really hope they do well since we need more competition. Sounds like you got a great deal on the XTX.

For my experience with laptops in general, the a lot of the issues that I experienced seems to stem from the laptop manufacturer than the hardware makers. Like for example, I have had my Dell XPS with 2060, sister had alienware with 3070, Asus gaming laptop with 2070 and the list goes on. All of those had issues until an eventual firmware/bios update that fixed it. Some of them made no sense as the game was stuttering so I thought it was the GPU but it turns out that the firmware that was shipped locked the GPU to a specific clock speed under certain circumstances. The Alienware especially had a 3070 that had fewer cuda cores than an official 3070 until they released an update that fixed the issue. I also hate all the random crap laptop manufacturers put in out of the box. The amount of times Dells "Support Assist" caused bluescreens was insane until I uninstalled that crap.

I personally don't use Frame Generation myself outside of like very demanding Ray Tracing titles like Cyberpunk or the upcoming Alan Wake 2. I prefer to use DLSS Upscaling at most if possible since that looks quite good at 4k without the latency penalty that you get from FG. The issue of course is that we get further into the generation, FG will help GPUs last longer in theory as games become a lot more demanding. And of course, there will be times that developers will use it as a crutch. But overall, I am not as impressed with FG than I was with DLSS 2.0. But FG from both companies are relatively new so maybe one day, they will improve enough to be more viable.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 13 October 2023

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Rollback netcode in an RTS?!?!

Around the Network

Intel’s next-gen Arrow Lake-S CPUs target 5% single-thread and 15% multi-thread performance gain, leaked slide suggests

https://wccftech.com/intel-arrow-lake-s-desktop-cpus-up-to-5-percent-ipc-15-multi-threaded-performance-leak/

A lot lower than I expected, that's for sure. Take it with a grain of salt until it comes out

That measly 5% makes AMD's expected 10-15% increase from Zen4 to Zen5 a lot more appealing. More so given that Intels talks about performance improvements while AMD only mentions IPC gains, leaving room to gain some extra gains from higher clocks.

OLED Monitor Shipments Predicted to Soar by 323% in 2023; 2024 Shipments Expected to Surpass One Million Units

https://www.techpowerup.com/314634/oled-monitor-shipments-predicted-to-soar-by-323-in-2023-2024-shipments-expected-to-surpass-one-million-units

Considering we will have a lot more options for OLED monitors next year and had a lot of options this year, not unsurprising.

More options will help, of course, but a lower price is what will make sales improve more ostensibly.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

PSA:

Hopefully they will fix it soon

Darc Requiem said:

Grats! Sounds like a massive upgrade and will make for a fine high end gaming experience to enjoy for years to come.

WoodenPints said:
Darc Requiem said:

I don't know a single person who cares about frame generation I see no reason where you would ever want to use it they recommend a 70+fps as a baseline but if your getting a solid 70+ base then why would you degrade your experience by enabling frame generation it's just another few letter pointless technology that companies can spin the PR on and give people fomo for me it's already thrown in the bin with FSR, DLSS, PhysX, Hairworks, AFMF, Ray Tracing, Power of the cloud, Cell processor, Power of the SSD etc... it's very full now I will need to hire out a bigger dumpster soon to fit everything in as we will rapidly see more and more come out.

Hmm I think framegen is fairly decent, but not without its limitations. At least on Nvidia's side of things, and its only in its starting year. Not sure if AMD will get there will FSR 3 but they'll improve upon the tech.

In my experience when running CP 2077 with FG its largely been an enjoyable experience. I've been playing Phantom Liberty at 1440P native with Overdrive (with PT mod, no DLSS RR) at 60fps and the input lag is largely non issue when playing on controller. That's just not possible without FG. Heck pathtacing rn on current hardware just isn't all that feasable going above a ray couple bounces at reasonable fidelity and resolutions on anything but a RTX 4090, before looking into FG. Its easy to get into the marketing hype though for the other tech but in this case I'd say its certainly has its uses. But yeah, watching PL with all everything turned up is a tranformative experience. Really haven't been been blown away by most games visually or otherwise. But the game is spectacular in almost every way, the visuals are just the icing on the cake.

Last edited by hinch - on 13 October 2023

Darc Requiem said:

Nvidia's latest driver is currently causing these weird black glitches on my screen at random times (not frequently, but a few times during use). I'll be rolling back my driver but also doing a complete wipe of previous drivers to make sure all is resolved. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

AMD Anti-Lag+ issues extend beyond CS2, reportedly affecting multiplayer games such as Call of Duty and Apex Legends

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-anti-lag-issues-extend-beyond-cs2-reportedly-affecting-multiplayer-games-such-as-call-of-duty-and-apex-legends

I don't think I have ever seen a company that loves to cuck themselves as hard as Radeon on almost a weekly basis. Like did they not test this before release since getting banned from some of these games is very hard to get a unbanned as they can hardware ban your entire PC. After all these years they finally manage to come up with a Reflex competitor but by injecting code into .dll files that gets flagged by Anti-Cheat, users are getting banned. Least you can disable it in driver.

MSI Z790 MAX BIOS feature increases Intel CPU throttling temperature to 115°C

https://videocardz.com/newz/msi-z790-max-bios-feature-increases-intel-cpu-throttling-temperature-to-115c

Should rename it to space heater mode

It's terrible is the short answer

Frame Generation on RTX 20/30 cards in Portal Prelude RTX is just a bug, NVIDIA confirms

https://videocardz.com/newz/frame-generation-on-rtx-20-30-cards-in-portal-prelude-rtx-is-just-a-bug-nvidia-confirms

GeForce NOW Pricing Increased by NVIDIA in Europe and Canada

https://wccftech.com/geforce-now-pricing-increased-by-nvidia-in-europe-and-canada/