By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Random_Matt said:

Seems I may have to pick up a 7800 XT Nitro, my 6800 XT has come down with a terminal illness.

Is it not under warranty since most cards come with 3 year minimum?

Still Anti Lag+ should be a nice bonus.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
WoodenPints said:
JEMC said:

I don't remember which game it was, but there was another game last year or the year before that also increased its system requirements after launch and because of a game content update.

I tried to find it to know how they dealt with it, but I haven't had success. Sorry.

Resident Evil 2 or 3 I think your referring to where they removed the standard version with the RT update and people went crazy so they brought it back.

That may be it, indeed.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

That sucks. Can't you take it somewhere to repair it?

The VRAM is shot, loads of lovely green flashing artifacts.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Random_Matt said:

Seems I may have to pick up a 7800 XT Nitro, my 6800 XT has come down with a terminal illness.

Is it not under warranty since most cards come with 3 year minimum?

Still Anti Lag+ should be a nice bonus.

eBay have me covered, I never wanted to pay the original prices originally and the 6800 XT was second hand. I will have to pay more for another card and never bother with pre-owned I guess. A starfield code that comes with it lessens the pain, although it is not something I was ever on planning on playing anytime soon.

Random_Matt said:
JEMC said:

That sucks. Can't you take it somewhere to repair it?

The VRAM is shot, loads of lovely green flashing artifacts.

Yeah, that's an RMA issue.

Well, I'm sorry for you. I hope the next card fully satisfies you for many years.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Imagine playing like this lol

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I like how there's a page on PCgaming reddit where we get a note from PureDark on his stance of his mod DRM being cracked, and he thinks it's still a win-win for him anyway, despite the fact that Nvidia is getting their official version implemented soon, and there is already a free version of his mod floating around.

What makes that thread sad, is that there are actually people in there defending the "paid mods" stance, and using shitty fallacies like comparing paid mods to free healthcare (which I take great offence to, since my mother worked as a nurse all her life and supported free healthcare and not private, and anyone using that argument with modding come off as scummy anyway). 

If you allow for some paid mods, then you eventually allow for them all, as it follows the snowball effect, and before you know it, everyone will start charging for mods and put in low effort, or cram DRM into their mods (like special K, who happens to put tracking shit into his mods to "combat pirates").

Making excuses for practices like paid modding is exactly why we're paying for skins, level skips, weapon upgrades, level boosts and the like today. I really wish those idiots would see the hole they are digging for us, because I don't want any part of it. Modding is supposed to and always has been a passionate hobby, not a "careeer" to replace you flipping burgers at your irl job. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

All that PureDark shat showed is when you lock your mod behind DRM, another modder will make a free version or it will get cracked. He can think it's a win all he likes but he knows he got cucked as soon as it got cracked.

Thanks to Starfield and the backlash that happened with the missing DLSS. I think future devs won't want to go through the same fate

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Imagine playing like this lol

That's awful!

Regarding the paid mods debate, I'm sorry if I seem negative, but this discussion is taking place too many years late. Paid mods are not a future, but a very real present.

I've been posting articles about mods locked behind a Patreon wall for years now, most of them being character swaps. And yes, yes, I know that those mods are not the same as a mod that adds DLSS or new missions to a game, but the truth is that a paid mod is a paid mod, no matter what it's about, and since people didn't complain about those, things escalated until what we have today.

And if that's not enough, take this into consideration: PureDark made over $40K in a month thanks to the Starfield mod (source here). Have you never heard that condescending saying about turning your hobby into your job? Well, that's what's happening here, and it will be almost impossible to stop it from spreading.

The only positive or "light at the end of the tunnel" outlook here is, quite sarcastically, the greed of the publishers: few of them will allow that modders make money out of their work without getting some revenue out of it. Bethesda has already tried to get some of that money twice, and that's before modders started charging for their work. You can be sure as hell that Bethesda, and others, will keep trying until they succeed... or sue the modders that get their money into oblivion.

I'm aware that there are still mods locked behind patreon, like 1-2 Minecraft shaders for example.

What I don't really want to see in the future, is the vast majority of mods/modders locking all the mods behind patreon walls, because by that time we'll have little that is free and the rest being paid, which would just end up making a game that is either broken or not cost more in total.

I feel like people want to turn their hoibbies into serious jobs because their current job is either mundane/stressful or pays less, and to that I'd just suggest finding a new job, or trying to make a change within where it is you work, instead of not looking for a new job and trying to enforce this change where a once free passionate hobby, gets morphed into the next big bad practice that gets heavily abused and monetised to shit.

Like again, I'm all for tip jars, those are always going to be viable, and we see those from plenty of artists and youtubers, streamers even, instead of them all outright holding all content and locking it entirely behind a wall (the only content I've seen artists lock are higher res images, streamers and youtubers tend to lock outtakes and bonus footage that isn't as important).

I just wish people would realise that if you turn one hobby into your lifelong job and make it paid, people will only end up doing this for nearly every hobby, and then within a century or two, you're going to see not much hobbying done for free or through actual passion, but instead purely for money.

Last edited by Chazore - on 13 September 2023

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"