By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Chazore said:

I dunno why you wanna wait and see how FSR 3 turns out, we all know AMD won't be catching up to Nvidia overnight. I fully expect less than stellar results and another "meh" slideshow.

Nvidia has all of this on lockdown for at least another 5 or more years until AMD magically gets great engineers, a new CEO and those below said CEO, as well as a crap ton more money.

I'm just going by history here, because FSR 1 was blurry, 2 was still meh, still a bit blurry, so I'm naturally not going to expect 3 to be some DLSS 3.5 blow for blow output.

I am mainly interested on tech and results around it since it's interesting. A lot of games that are UE5 are killing even the 4090 and even a 4090 is requiring DLSS 2/Frame Generation to really get back up to speed. So whether people like upscaling/frame generation or not, it is very much becoming vital to run modern games. So we all do need to make sure our GPU manufacturers can actually provide good upscaling/frame generation because the games will only continue to get heavier and heavier.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Some more stuff...

Starfield is Free to Add DLSS Says AMD, Partners Prioritizing FSR a Request Not a Demand

https://wccftech.com/starfield-free-to-add-dlss-says-amd-partners-prioritzing-fsr-a-request-not-demand/

"While AMD doesn’t demand that partners exclude DLSS from their games at launch, it seems they do politely request it. AMD pays publishers to bundle their games with their graphics cards (Starfield, Avatar, and more are launching with Ryzen and Radeon bundles) and asks them to put FSR first as part of the deal.

“Money absolutely exchanges hands. When we do bundles, we ask them -- ‘Are you willing to prioritize FSR?’ If they ask us for DLSS support, we always tell them yes.”

Okay, so there’s initially an option to still support DLSS, but once a publisher agrees to go FSR-exclusive, is that locked in? Again, it seems the answer is no, as Azor reiterates that “if and when Bethesda wants to put DLSS into [Starfield]” they’ll fully support it."

They certainly took long enough to come out with an answer. So it sounds like there is nothing specifically preventing developers from implementing DLSS but they do put an emphasis on having FSR support "first". It would explain why some games launch with FSR but add in DLSS months later.

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora PC Trailer Stuns, Both FSR and DLSS Supported Despite AMD Deal

https://wccftech.com/avatar-frontiers-of-pandora-pc-trailer-fsr-dlss-supported/

I'll likely skip cause I never really liked the Avatar franchise. My flavor has always been with the Air Benders

Oh god, Radeon is following Nvidias shitty numbering scheme with DLSS where you have DLSS 3 which was marketed as "Frame Generation" but then Nvidia later updated DLSS 2 to version 3 so now it's all sorts of dumbness. So now you have DLSS 3 Frame Generation, DLSS 3 Super Resolution and DLSS 3.5 which could or could not include Frame Generation depending on the GPU. Radeon could have at least done something different but guess not lol.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

The specs of the 7700XT are higher than expected, and very close to those of the 7800XT. Sure, it loses 4GB and some memory bandwidth, but it's only 6 CUs less and has higher clocks.

The question may not be who'll buy the 7800XT for only $50/60€ more, but why not save that money and go for the 7700XT. But we'll see soon enough.

One thing's for sure, tho, the 6700XT is almost as fast as the 4060Ti, and so the 7700XT should be faster than the Nvidia card (except for ray tracing).

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

I am mainly interested on tech and results around it since it's interesting. A lot of games that are UE5 are killing even the 4090 and even a 4090 is requiring DLSS 2/Frame Generation to really get back up to speed. So whether people like upscaling/frame generation or not, it is very much becoming vital to run modern games. So we all do need to make sure our GPU manufacturers can actually provide good upscaling/frame generation because the games will only continue to get heavier and heavier.

The fact it has become vital spells doom for us later on down the line, hence why I'm not overly excited about ppl drooling over AI this, fake frames that.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Some more stuff...

Starfield is Free to Add DLSS Says AMD, Partners Prioritizing FSR a Request Not a Demand

https://wccftech.com/starfield-free-to-add-dlss-says-amd-partners-prioritzing-fsr-a-request-not-demand/

At least they've finally said something.

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora PC Trailer Stuns, Both FSR and DLSS Supported Despite AMD Deal

https://wccftech.com/avatar-frontiers-of-pandora-pc-trailer-fsr-dlss-supported/

I'll likely skip cause I never really liked the Avatar franchise. My flavor has always been with the Air Benders

Nice reference.

You'll have to admit that the Avatar themed 7900XTX is good looking, even if we have no idea what that thermal paint job will do, more so given how hot the reference cards are.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:

The specs of the 7700XT are higher than expected, and very close to those of the 7800XT. Sure, it loses 4GB and some memory bandwidth, but it's only 6 CUs less and has higher clocks.

The question may not be who'll buy the 7800XT for only $50/60€ more, but why not save that money and go for the 7700XT. But we'll see soon enough.

One thing's for sure, tho, the 6700XT is almost as fast as the 4060Ti, and so the 7700XT should be faster than the Nvidia card (except for ray tracing).

Well those things do matter a lot since according to hardware unboxed, AMD claims there's a 20% performance advantage for the 7800XT based on AMDs own numbers because there's a 30% memory bandwidth gap. That along with more Vram, I'd get the 7800XT. Hell even a 6800 which costs about the same as a 7700XTs launch price would be a better option since a 6800 should perform about the same as a 7700XT while having 16GB of vram.

Chazore said:

The fact it has become vital spells doom for us later on down the line, hence why I'm not overly excited about ppl drooling over AI this, fake frames that.

Yea but I don't think there is much we can do to avoid that doom other than hope that the upscalers look close enough to Native. Too many game developers went on board with UE5 to skimp out on all those future games. So DLSS/Frame Generation/FSR/FSR3 will be a pretty big selling point as more of these UE5 games start to come out. Least not every developer is using UE5 tho.

JEMC said:

The massive memory bandwidth gap between them (45%) plus the extra 4GB VRAM should give the 7800XT a big leg over the 7700XT. I'd probably say there's going to be 15-20% difference between them once you factor the other specs. And if thats the case it'll be silly not to go for the higher end model.. which seems to me like another upsell strategy.

We'll see soon enough.. but for $50, I'd certainly just stump for the 7800XT with those prices. Will be interesting to see if Nvidia responds to this.. The 4060Ti really does need a drop really.

My thoughts on the launches of these cards are okay. Nothing spectacular but decent all things considered in todays market. The 7800XT looks to be around a 4070 performance but cheaper and with 16GB VRAM; essentially replacing the 6800XT, with improved FSR 3. The 7700XT is at least $50 too much, and in the UK/Europe.. its going to be more expensive so that's not so great.

Last edited by hinch - on 25 August 2023

JEMC said:

Well those things do matter a lot since according to hardware unboxed, AMD claims there's a 20% performance advantage for the 7800XT based on AMDs own numbers because there's a 30% memory bandwidth gap. That along with more Vram, I'd get the 7800XT. Hell even a 6800 which costs about the same as a 7700XTs launch price would be a better option since a 6800 should perform about the same as a 7700XT while having 16GB of vram.

That's why I was just guessing.

And well, we''re not naive enough to belive AMD's claims, are we? We'll have to wait until the reviews go live to see how they really perform.

hinch said:
JEMC said:

The massive memory bandwidth gap between them (45%) plus the extra 4GB VRAM should give the 7800XT a big leg over the 7700XT. I'd probably say there's going to be 15-20% difference between them once you factor the other specs. And if thats the case it'll be silly not to go for the higher end model.. which seems to me like another upsell strategy.

We'll see soon enough.. but for $50, I'd certainly just stump for the 7800XT with those prices. Will be interesting to see if Nvidia responds to this.. The 4060Ti really does need a drop really.

If we've learned something from the 4060 and 4060Ti is that the extra bandwidth and memory size won't matter at every resolution. At 4K? For sure! At 1440p? In some games, but not all. And at 1080p? I think only a few games will notice it.

Also, the difference between both cards won't be $50/60€. With board partners charging more for their extra coolers and then retailers playing their game, we may see a bigger difference than that shortly after launch.

The note at the end of the FSR3 requirements suggests an interpolated frame will possibly only be displayed if the GPU has the time to correctly render it, which should decrease the number of visible artifacts at the cost of making it more impractical for lower-end hardware.