By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - New Linux PC costs less than a Windows Vista license

Game_boy said:
ChronotriggerJM said:
My household has more than it's fair share of useless monitors sitting around, I might actually consider getting this :P We need a good internet PC, and I'm pretty sure Unbutu would install onto this. That seems like a pretty damn awesome deal to me :) Although with the hardware set-up I'm not sure if I'd get any of the cool flashy effects that some linux aps can offer :P

The wobbly windows and such even run on Intel integrated graphics found in laptops, so it's a safe bet they'll work on this.

Then I'm sold xD Your gonna have to help me out on the Unbutu thing again though :D I'm definitely a fan of a user interface xD

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network
Game_boy said:
jlauro said:
I find Linux less buggy than vista.

I dual-boot those, and same here.

The education, basic office and home e-mail checker market probably accounts for well over half of PCs. None of those uses above what is given here (if you use Linux). I don't see why that 50% of the market doesn't switch now: it's much cheaper, there's no compatibility issues like gamers have and if you never change anything there's no problems with ease of use (not that I believe it's hard to do if you want to change something).

The main reason schools don't change is that most of their software is windows based, and it would cost a lot of money to replace it with curriculum approved linux software.

I really liked Linux just that for the normal average Joe, they 1-Don't even know what Linux is until someone talks about it and 2-Windows is more friendly.

I mean it's a bit more complicated to go around Linux if you don't know much about computers. I was able to do some everyday stuff like chatting and internet but there are some things, like installation of certain programs that I was confused on how to do it. On windows, you only double click and it self-installs. Everyone can do that, but for Linux it was more complicated...

And being someone who plays a bit PC games, they can't be emulated. So until Linux can get more simple and can play the games I like, I stick to XP, but given the choice, I would prefer a Mac.

The problem I have with ubuntu. Is 1 compiz fusion acts up all the time and that is the main reason I got it. 2 The games get screwed up and my computer freezes making me have to restart the computer. There are some small problems but the rest is fine other than the two I mentioned. Oh and the lack of support when using window software unless you use wine.

The site that they refer too (sears.com) says its $299..?

Switch Friend Code - 3664 - 9964 - 9777

Smash Ultimate Alias - Happy Lion

Mains: Donkey Kong, King K. Rool, Diddy Kong

Around the Network
Possum5454 said:
The site that they refer too (sears.com) says its $299..?

It's $199 after rebate. The ones Walmart offer (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7754614) are $199 straight up, but spec wise are behind this PC, though Walmart has been offering these systems for a few months now.