By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - best quality compressed video file format

currently the file is (.flv) and i have a video converter and want to change the format to the best possible format. i dont care about how much data it takes i just want the best quality format.

i use the website called savetube.com then it saves the (.flv) file and the video converter software im using is prism video converter.

- wmv

- avi

- mpeg

Around the Network

Any recompression will cause it to lose quality. Given it's an FLV, the quality will most likely be pretty terrible to begin with, so any mpeg4 based compression (divx/xvid/etc..) at a decent bitrate will be good enough.

If you really are keen though, I think it is h264 which has lossless video compression, but you'll be regretting that once you see how large the resulting file is :P

Edit: Just thinking, I'm sure I've seen a tool to remux from flv into avi without re-encoding, but you'd have to search for it.

also when your editing your file when converting is the higher the video bitrate you have the better the quality?

yes, generally, higher bitrate = more space used = higher quality video

does any of you know how which program can provide the best quality to download videos from youtube and save it to your pc

Around the Network

for your case mpeg but the best compression quality is mkv

a12331 said:
for your case mpeg but the best compression quality is mkv

mkv is a container format and not a codec.

youtube videos are crappy looking because they are saved in a crappy format...if you download a youtube video no matter how great of a format you convert to the program isn't going to be able to magically fill in information where there is none.

If you aren't happy with the original video's quality while its on YouTube then you need to find another version of it that is higher quality....if the quality of the YouTube video is good enough then the best you can hope for is to use a format that will not degrade the quality any further.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Katilian said:

If you really are keen though, I think it is h264 which has lossless video compression, but you'll be regretting that once you see how large the resulting file is :P

Correct me if I'm wrong but h264 is actually for video compression... It allows the same quality with the a smaller file size (with xvid equivalent) or better quality with the same file size. Reason why .mkv container format is better than .avi and many others is because it supports h264... (the downside is, mkv is not widely supported, and no DVD player can play it, I think)

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

and the other reason for the mkv container is because it lets to interlace more then 1 audio stream into it.

h264 is a extention of mpg4 (divx/xvid) it was initially designed for low bitrate stuff to get better quality at lower bitrates compared to xvid.

h264 is very cpu intensive and time consuming. So i would suggest using xvid.