By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - can SSBBrawl be the game that breaks open the Wii online community

I have a dream that one day, Wii's online service will rival and surpass Xbox Live's service. And it will start with SSBB!!!

Around the Network

It will never take on xbox live while friend codes are around.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

dnnc said:

might not even bother with story mode

It's funny how much this game has for everyone.. when someone says that, and the only reason i want the game is because of that :P

In response to the question: i very much doubt that it will be the breakthrough in online gaming that the wii is waiting for, for very much the same reasons that vagabond mentioned.. if they do decide to add voice chat eventually -- might i suggest an option to turn it off.. i only want to talk to people i know, not prepubescent individuals that have more time to master the game than me 

Well, in an effort to jump start the community aspect of wii online, I'm part of a movement to start up a site Nintendo Online Battles

The site is in beta testing right now, so it only has matches for metroid prime hunters and medal of honor heroes but it will hopefully serve as a community site for people to play both casual and competitive for the wii online games. But check it out and message me what you think!

Fully on topic, I don't know, I've been a believer in wii online since mario strikers charged. If Brawl has 2 players on one wii online, then I'll love the online aspect as well.

I think it very well could. This will no doubt be the most played game online for wii throughout the wii's whole lifetime. Since it is a first party title and is going to sell very well (I'm pretty sure) then this will be the first real game to get the wii's online play going strong.

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits
Around the Network

After SSBB, there's Super Mario Kart Wii, after that there will be Animal Crossing MMORPG,... and by the time Wii2 comes out, it might rival xboxlive.

I also have high hopes for the Wii ware channel to break the online community open. I'm hoping lots of the Wii ware games will be online games.

And maybe just maybe Nintendo will add a chat channel or a forum channel to rival vgchartz hehe! A dating channel, a mii update channel... the possibilities are endless.

I think it has a loooooooong way to go to rival XBL, but it will be a start. In order to rival XBL, it'll need an easier interface and chat abilities.

dnnc said:

sadly MOHHeroes couldn't do it, too bad for those that missed out on it

ONline play for MOHH is great, but SSBB has the star power to take on the XBOXLIVE

Someone needs to shoot an arrow at Nintendo HQ with a letter asking for the removal of the BFF codes

I eagerly await my copy, might not even bother with story mode, might just go straight to the bustle

If you're talking pure numbers, Smash will probably have some pretty impressive online numbers(maybe even in the Halo ballpark). If you're asking if Smash's effect will spread online play across the (Wii)board to X Box Live proportions, no it won't(at least not for a long while). If you're asking if Smash will be the first Wii game to have a large online presence, it won't since Guitar Hero III is already there. About a week or two ago it had more online activity than Pokemon Diamond/Pearl.

WiFi won't ever have a community like XBL. As The vagabond7 and others have said, Nintendo's not doing any of the necessary things to facilitate an online community. That sucks, but it's reality.

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

What exact online features will SSBB have?

From what I've read, their is no leader board or ranking system, if so then this game will not hold up with the online community.