By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
edjevink said:
FinalEvangelion said:
So 4.9 million PS3's shipped this quarter?

No, it's actually 4,9 million PS3's SOLD.

In their report Sony states they changed the method of reporting hardware and software unit sales from production shipments to recorded sales. They use this method of reporting since their 2nd financial quarter that ended June 2007.

So looking at the PS3 figures in this period, VGChartz states that the PS3 sold more like 3,7 million while Sony states they sold 4,9 million. Both are worldwide sales. Did VGChartz undertracked it that much?

No, you don't understand. Shipped to sony means produced in a factory and shipped to Sony wharehouses.

Sold means sold to retailers and shipped from sony wharehouses to retailer wharehouses.

Around the Network

Maybe those people were just talking about the PS3 only. ;-p
Anyway, everybody knows the PS2 and PSP are profitable and that the PS3 is unprofitable. The only question was if the profitable side of the business (PS2+PSP) would be enough to offset the unprofitable side of it (PS3). I'm looking forward to seeing how Sony does next quarter without the huge holiday boost.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Its a pity this is no where near making up for the losses incurred since the PS3's release. Sony has been set back nearly a decade in profits, now is the slow game of catch up.

If the PS3 can't turn a profit for third party developers though, it still doesn't stand a terribly good chance of winning any more ground this generation. Right now Sony is treading water, not moving forward. And if all of you celebraters were so sure this would happen, where exactly were all of you the last six months? ;)

First off: Congratulations to Sony.

Second: Where is everyone else at? I remember reading some posts where Sony Gaming Divison stood to lose hundreds of millions of dollars, but since it hasn't, guess there's not much to say from them huh?

DMeisterJ, for all we know Sony's Gaming Division could still be hemoraging millions. This is their total profits. And with all the factories and assets they've liquidated over the last year you have to ask yourself how much of this is actually profit earned and how much is the offset of the assets Sony liquidated.

How many more assets do you think Sony has left to liquidate to make it look like they're actually making a profit?

Around the Network

Ahh... GGE Guess you couldn't stay away long huh?

And I guess you finally decided to find a way to spin this negatively...

I'm so proud of you, I knew that you'd come here and find something negative to say about it. So all you can do to try to act like this hasn't happened is go to rumor and specualtion that they've sold warehouses to make profit. That's nice. Well if you actually look at the report, you can see that money was made off of all three systems, not by selling warehouses and whatnot. It was 5 million + for the PS2 and PSP, and 4.5 million for the PS3. That's where they made their money. And obviously over strong software sales from Uncharted especially, because it's first party, but CoD4, and Assassin's Creed.

If you say so Meister. Let's hope third party developers start seeing a profit from the PS3 soon too or else you might end up with another PSP. Which also is making a profit for Sony too might I add. ;)

Haha... GGE in the shape once again.

Seriously you should wake up. PS3 is still in better situation regards third party support than Wii. Fact. It's way more profitable to make games for PS3/X360 than for the Wii. It won't change. Ever.

That's right GGE. Instead of keeping the conversation going, you know that you are merely speculating on how they made their profit, so you must resort to bashing the PSP, because we all know that it's doing horrible in software. It's okay. Really. You were wrong, and Sony made a profit. You can't stand it, but it's the truth. So I suggest you quit trolling, congratulate them, and move on; Instead of holding onto this disdain for this company for no apparent reason. mmmkay?

Really Kber? Then why are third party developers only making money off of the Wii?

And when it costs so much to develop a game for the 360/PS3, its really a no brainer which console is the easiest to develop for, the Wii.

How you all clamor to attack me, if there was no merit to anything I had to say you'd just ignoreme, but no, you feel there is something you must defend, you still worry for Sony's future in gaming. How eager you all are to celebrate during a week when the Wii (still supply capped) outsold the PS3/360 combined.

i know I'm a downer, I know I'm a naysayer, but if you had to wonder which one of us really had any fear, I think it would be you. My console of choice is thriving. Yours is playing catch up after having loss critical momentum.