By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
NJ5 said:

Obviously I failed due to the unexpected large price cuts. So what?

Expect the unexpected then. Point is people won't stop buying PS3 because of this forecast. Seriously even yesterday people were throwing numbers like $200-$700 million loss all around. Even though division is profitable people still try to find some crap to bitch...  the same guys who didn't believe in previous forecast anyway  *rolling eyes*

Around the Network
kber81 said:
NJ5 said:

Obviously I failed due to the unexpected large price cuts. So what?

Expect the unexpected then. Point is people won't stop buying PS3 because of this forecast. Seriously even yesterday people were throwing numbers like $200-$700 million loss all around. Even though division is profitable people still try to find some crap to bitch...  the same guys who didn't believe in previous forecast anyway  *rolling eyes*

Of course they won't stop buying the PS3, why would you put such words in people's mouths? I think you really need to calm down and be happy about the great result that SCE posted today.

As I said, I personally underestimated all the consoles in terms of 2007 sales.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

I think you really need to calm down and be happy about the great result that SCE posted today

I DEMAND you to be happy and enthusiastic with this results as well ! ! !

I spend so much time defending myself when I said that Sony would make a profit to all negative people with little insight in the market. All I am going to say now is:

I WAS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

IIRC, I predicted that Sony would continue to make a loss on PS3, which they did.

Around the Network

lol looks like this thread turned out to be quite smaller, since people dont have much to talk about.

Yesterday I remember some members going off about preparing gifs for this exact occasion :].

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

rocketpig said:
Kasz216 said:
rocketpig said:

With more evidence appearing that Sony actually is coming close to breaking even on the PS3, one has to ask:

Exactly how damned much is Nintendo making on every Wii sold? How much is MS making on each 360?

Nintendo must be making a boatload on each Wii and MS also has to be doing pretty well for themselves.

I'm not so sure.  I mean the PS3 has a lot farther to fall since the tech is more advanced.  So it's decreases in cost are going to be a lot more signficant then the 360's decreases in cost.

The Wii technology... i'm not even sure how much cheaper it can get. 

Most tech price cuts come from shrinking the process and that's available to MS and Nintendo just as much as it is Sony. Sony does have the advantage of Blu-ray dropping though. Both Ninty and MS rely on pretty cheap optical tech already.

All 3 will continue to drive reductions in production costs.  However Sony should drive the fastest and deepest reductions as they have by far the greatest manufacturing experience to do so.  Nintendo shouldn't be too far behind though and must be raking it in by now on each DS and Wii never mind the software... MS will trail quite a bit further behind.  As a company they have very little experience of manufacturing and while the same savings are available to them it normally takes a company in their position longer to achieve them as they are reliant on outside and sourced experience to do so.

360 has been out a while however so I wonder whether bulk of reductions they could achieve have already been realised.  Sony I suspect has the most to gain and I expect the cost of a PS3 to produce to keep falling rapidly allowing them to really get aggresive on price.  It seems to me they were foreced to market when PS3 costs were higher than they would have liked and they tried to make the best of it (with some pretty stupid public comments along the way to justify the high price tag).  Wii should also see reductions but due to the nature of its tech I doubt these will be as substantial as for PS3.

The wild card that could develop during this year is impact of format war ending in BRs favour.  Seems a lot of people are willing to pick up PS3 for movies, and while its way too early for anything drastic player sales for movies are way beyond console sales... so if PS3 becomes the BR player of choice for next few years and BR sales really pick up the implications for additional sales are interesting.  With recent announcements regarding smaller, cheaper Cells and BR diodes, etc. a slimer, cheaper PS3 in not too distant future is more than possible - making it even more desirable as both a games console and movie player.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

FinalEvangelion said:
So 4.9 million PS3's shipped this quarter?

No, it's actually 4,9 million PS3's SOLD.

In their report Sony states they changed the method of reporting hardware and software unit sales from production shipments to recorded sales. They use this method of reporting since their 2nd financial quarter that ended June 2007.

So looking at the PS3 figures in this period, VGChartz states that the PS3 sold more like 3,7 million while Sony states they sold 4,9 million. Both are worldwide sales. Did VGChartz undertracked it that much?

rukusa said:
lol looks like this thread turned out to be quite smaller, since people dont have much to talk about.

Yesterday I remember some members going off about preparing gifs for this exact occasion :].

Yeah.  This does seem smaller then it should be.  Guess because it really depends on what happens in this final quarter.  

I guess the real questions now is will PS2 sales and PSP sales stay up long enough while PS3 manufacturing goes down enough to make a profit?

Will Sony cut the price or discount and discontinue the 80 gig to try and hit their shipment numbers?

After all they still have a lot to ship.  If the rumors of the 120-160 gig are true, that would be an ingenious way to do some more channel stuffing as  even if stores have near full PS3 stock they would need to order the new model to stay current.

They changed from "produced, might be sitting in our warehouse" to "sold to retailer".