By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS3 is, and will be more successful than the 360.

I just love this chart, through all the struggles of the PS3, from high pricing, to few launch titles, when compared with the 360, at the same period in its life, the PS3 has sold 1 million more consoles.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=------&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&weeks=116

Around the Network

PS3 has had pricecuts while the 360 did not in their first year so that is a factor. This could be countered though by the fact that the PS3 was higher priced so it does give the PS3 a slight edge in the end. Also, PS3 had a delayed launch in EU.

It doesn't matter whether PS3 has sold that many more consoles in the time period, it matters how many they have sold total, and the 360 is winning there. Plus, they are profitable...and Sony is still not.

I would tend to agree with you because of the support in Europe in Japan, but it still has some hurdles to overcome in the US. That being said, things are definitely looking up for Sony compared to 6-9 months ago. Those were some bleak times.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Blu Ray player + no shortages during launch = better sales

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Around the Network
dolemit3 said:
Blu Ray player + no shortages during launch = better sales

There was a shortage during launch (People got killed). It just didn't last long.

ikilledkenny said:
It doesn't matter whether PS3 has sold that many more consoles in the time period, it matters how many they have sold total, and the 360 is winning there. Plus, they are profitable...and Sony is still not.

You seemed to have missed the point of the graph, and made the same mistake most make. You cannot say "Oh the 360 is more successful" due to the fact it has had a full year of sales all to itself. That's why I posted this graph, when lined up, during its first 14 months, the PS3 has outsold the 360 in its first 14 months.

@dolemit3

The PS3 did have shortages, and a 4 month delayed launch in Europe. Which just makes it seem that much more successful than the 360.

every console has shortages at launch

PS3 has been upgraded heavily once and had its price slashed by $100 once. In the same time span the X360 did not get its price cut at all I don't think.

Thus I would say that the playing field is still actually even.

Let's see if PS3 has 16.5mil this time next year.