By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft Says Wii Owners Can 'Graduate' to Xbox 360

gebx said:
Dno said:
everyone say what you want about the ps3 yes its in last place now but it sold more consoles in its 1st year the 360 plus it was 200 dollars more. if the ps3 was 250 bucks i dont see the wii being as hot as it is. price drops and time will tell, ps3 will be at least in second if not 1st.

360 price cuts in 1st year - 0

PS3 price cuts in 1st year - 2

On the same note, the GameCube had 2 price cuts in it's first two years. It didn't have as far to drop compared to the PS3, but still. The PS2 had one price cut after about 1.5 years. Then about one each year after that. This is for the NA pricing only.

Around the Network
MikeB said:
Fastrabbit09 said:
MikeB said:

> any data to backup that it is 'certainly most popular amongst younger kids'?

8-17 olds

"The Wii was on 32% of wish lists, the Sony PlayStation 3 on 19% and Microsoft Xbox 360 on 17%."

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2007-11-19-wii-shopping_N.htm

"As for game systems, Nintendo Wii was the most popular among kids ages 8-13, as well as all girls up to age 17, while Sony PlayStation 3 came out on top for boys ages 14-17."

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6479280.html

Why does everyone here assume kids nowadays play a minor role within the gaming industry? Didn't you play video games as a kid?

so u got data to backup that it is popular amongst kids, not that it's mostly kids that want the wii...there is a difference

National survey (what people preferred to get for christmas 2007, US adults):

Top 10 For Men

1. Flat screen High Definition TV 37%
  2. New Laptop Computer (Windows) 21%
  3. New Digital Camera 16%
  4. New Desktop Computer 15%
  5. GPS Navigation System for the car 11%
  6. Sony PS3 10%
  7. New Cell Phone 9%
  8. New Digital Video Camera 8%
  9. Xbox 360 8%
  10. Nintendo Wii 8%

Top 10 for Women

1. Flat screen High Definition TV 33%
  2. New Laptop Computer 19%
  3. New Digital Camera 18%
  4. New Desktop Computer (Windows) 13%
  5. New Cell Phone 12%
  6. New Digital Video Camera 11%
  7. GPS Navigation System for the car 10%
  8. Nintendo Wii 9%
  9. Apple Laptop Computer 7%
  10. Tivo or another DVR 6%

nice; continuing to make my point

women are half the population and ps3 is not on the list...wii is at 9% for women and 8% for men, so 8.5%

8-17 has 32% wii....but i'm sure <25% of the population is 8-17, thus more of the population that wants a wii is an adult than a child

ie 250 million people in us that are not 8-17 and 50 million that are...that's 21.25million adults and 16 million children...

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

Yeah........... wii owners will certainly trade an intuitive interface for a controller with a lot of buttons.

Fastrabbit09 said:
MikeB said:
Fastrabbit09 said:
MikeB said:

8-17 olds

"The Wii was on 32% of wish lists, the Sony PlayStation 3 on 19% and Microsoft Xbox 360 on 17%."

"As for game systems, Nintendo Wii was the most popular among kids ages 8-13, as well as all girls up to age 17, while Sony PlayStation 3 came out on top for boys ages 14-17."

Why does everyone here assume kids nowadays play a minor role within the gaming industry? Didn't you play video games as a kid?

so u got data to backup that it is popular amongst kids, not that it's mostly kids that want the wii...there is a difference

Top 10 For Men

6. Sony PS3 10%
  7. New Cell Phone 9%
  9. Xbox 360 8%
  10. Nintendo Wii 8%

Top 10 for Women

5. New Cell Phone 12%
  8. Nintendo Wii 9%

women are half the population and ps3 is not on the list...wii is at 9% for women and 8% for men, so 8.5%

8-17 has 32% wii....but i'm sure <25% of the population is 8-17, thus more of the population that wants a wii is an adult than a child

ie 250 million people in us that are not 8-17 and 50 million that are...that's 21.25million adults and 16 million children...

More then half actually. 

What's funny is there were statistical problems with those charts when they originally showed up, that were long forgotten (for example, it's just less likely people polled are going to have a PS3 then 360 and Wii, why would you list a cosnole when you already have it?  What you want and what you actually get can differ do to price and what other people around you want.  etc.) 

Ignoring this though The problem with the Wii is.  Everyone plays it.  While only a few people play the 360 and the PS3.

For example, i may yet still get a 360 before i get a PS3 because there are a number of games on the 360 that my girlfriend would want to play and few she's interested in on the 360.  (Bioshock, Mass Effect vs multiplatform titles also on the 360 and PS2 like Dynasty Warriors Orochi.)

Also my title purchases are often slanted towards what i know she would play as well.   For example my top 3 games to get already out are Batallion Wars, Mario and Sonic and Fire Emblem.  If she gets through No More Heroes and a good part of Trauma Center before buy a new game i may pick up M&S or even Dynasty Warrioirs Orochi.  2 Player co-op does rule in that game. 

Hehe, at least they are starting to admit that their console might be the 2nd in a household console, and not the other way around.

Around the Network

It is highly likely that people who are new or returning to gaming because of the unique and intuitive interface and games of the Wii are going to be interested in more conventional games as time goes on. This, in no way, means that they're going to eventually become interested in the PS3 or XBox 360.

It will be a gradual process, and people who are interested in Wii Sports, Wii Fit or Rayman Raving Rabbids may end up picking up Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, The Legend of Zelda, Metriod or whatever well crafted conventional game is available; but they will probably not become interested in buying an XBox 360 or PS3 when one of these games is released for it because they will not see an additional value (to justify the system purchase) in what that game offers over what is available for the Wii.

Boy this really hit a nerve?! Is anyone else here currently at work? If not, why aren't you playing the Wii. Whenever I have free time, I play my 360. I had the Wii twice but didn't think much of it so I sold it for a huge profit.

Fastrabbit09 said:
MikeB said:
Fastrabbit09 said:
MikeB said:

8-17 olds

Top 10 For Men

6. Sony PS3 10%
  7. New Cell Phone 9%
  9. Xbox 360 8%
  10. Nintendo Wii 8%

Top 10 for Women

5. New Cell Phone 12%
  8. Nintendo Wii 9%

Some points:

1) There are more male gamers than female gamers at this point.

2) Kids are more likely to get cheaper christmas gifts from Santa Claus. (if your kid wants a 100 dollar doll or a 1,000 dollar HDTV this makes quite a differences, exaggerated just to make a point. This nomater if the 100 dollar doll is a complete rip-off and the HDTV is of excellent value for money)

What these surveys indicate:

- The Wii was more popular for christmas amongst young females (over 32%) than adult females (9%).

- The Wii was more popular amongst kids in general (32%) than adults in general.

- The PS3 was most popular amongst male teenagers older than 13  and adult males.

- More adult males (10%) wanted a PS3 than adult females (7% on average according to the survey, so ~4% for adult females).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

sienster said:

Whenever I have free time, I play my 360.

then you are a hardcore gamer and are the target group for the 360

i spend my free time with my wife, not playing video games, so i am a casual gamer and am not the target group of the 360

ms/sony's problem is that the vast majority of people are not hardcore gamers...most are either casual or non-gamers...ps360 can get some of the casual gamers' money, but pretty much none of the non-gamers' money...

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

MS should drop out of the console race and stick to making software for the PC.