Forums - PC Discussion - Metro: Last Light PC specs

Tagged games:

disolitude said:
dahuman said:
CGI-Quality said:
Pemalite said:
Captain_Tom said:
Pemalite said:
Gaming PC: Core i7 3930K 6 Cores/12 Threads @ 4.8ghz | 32gb Quad-Channel DDR3 1866mhz | 3x Radeon 7970 3gb | 3x 27" Dell IPS in Eyefinity - 7680x1440 Resolution. | Asus Sabertooth X79 | Custom Water | Corsair AX 1200i | Corsair C70 | Logitech G19 |

I'm sorry me and my brother saw your signature and just laughed... That's inane man!

That's insane? It's not even the fastest system on these forums. :P

Maybe not, but it's up there. I know between myself, you, Taichoma, and Dahuman, someone is King (likely Taichoma with her Quad SLI GTX Titan set-up).

Not me lol, I just have balanced systems for the tasks that I do. I might have very efficient setups and burn out PCs for fun, but never the most powerful or fastest. :P I've actually scaled back from tri monitor setup to like dual and only use 1 for gaming now. The video card upgrades are tempting but I think I can hold out for another year or 2, hopefully. >.<;

I'm in the same boat. Machines that are balanced are the way to go... I could outspend most people when it comes to computer gear but then so what? I am just blowing money and not putting it to use...I'd rather spend money on cool things like a new Honda Shadow motorcycle i plan to buy soon.

I also like to try new things and tinker with stuff. For example, I plan to disable 4 cores on my new FX8350 and attempt to push past 5 Ghz. With all 8 cores 4.8 seems to be the best people are getting.

Yeah once those go over 60C, it's danger zone for the most part and 4.8 seems to be the max on common setups, I'm just keeping mine at stock 4-4.2Turbo and keeping it at 8 cores since it's my server and I run a video surveillance with 4 cameras that gets encoded in realtime via Xsplit to a streaming service hehe. I recently tossed a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185174 into it and now it's running nice and quiet too.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:
dahuman said:
CGI-Quality said:

Maybe not, but it's up there. I know between myself, you, Taichoma, and Dahuman, someone is King (likely Taichoma with her Quad SLI GTX Titan set-up).

Not me lol, I just have balanced systems for the tasks that I do. I might have very efficient setups and burn out PCs for fun, but never the most powerful or fastest. :P I've actually scaled back from tri monitor setup to like dual and only use 1 for gaming now. The video card upgrades are tempting but I think I can hold out for another year or 2, hopefully. >.<;

I'm in the same boat. Machines that are balanced are the way to go... I could outspend most people when it comes to computer gear but then so what? I am just blowing money and not putting it to use...I'd rather spend money on cool things like a new Honda Shadow motorcycle i plan to buy soon.

I also like to try new things and tinker with stuff. For example, I plan to disable 4 cores on my new FX8350 and attempt to push past 5 Ghz. With all 8 cores 4.8 seems to be the best people are getting.

I already have a decent whip, so the next best thing to flash is my rig!

lol...well put.

CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:
CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:
dahuman said:
CGI-Quality said:

lol...well put.

In truth, I was thinking about shooting you some specs and get your thoughts. Next time I build, it will not just be wild, crazy "must have the most POWAH". I want a little more efficiency (reason being, my latest build barely outperform my last).

Cool.

Im actually about to post a thread with HD 7950 benchmarks involving a FX8350 and 3870K APU that made me really scratch my head.

CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:
CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:
dahuman said:
CGI-Quality said:

lol...well put.

In truth, I was thinking about shooting you some specs and get your thoughts. Next time I build, it will not just be wild, crazy "must have the most POWAH". I want a little more efficiency (reason being, my latest build barely outperform my last).

You will notice how much that power makes a difference if you live stream like I do at HD resolutions, but I eventually just built a complete different box for streaming lol..... I got really addicted to streaming 720P 60FPS at high quality presets ^^; Really fun watching the CPU usage spike and lower all the time while watching x264 doing it's work lol.....

CGI-Quality said:
dahuman said:
CGI-Quality said:

I need more grunt too! Crazy, because people told me I wouldn't. And I hear it about the current line-up of cards, roll on what's next (though I admit, I still prefer GeForce cards to Radeon).

Superior software engineering is a good reason to stick with Nvidia.

Affirmative. When I need driver updates, NVIDIA rarely disappoints.

I don't want to get into a flaime war.  But I have used both Nvidia and AMD extensively (Though my AMD experience is only in the past couple years).  I had to screw with Nvidia drivers monthly, but AMD's has almost always been smooth sailing (Do a clean install).  I am not saying AMD's are better, just that at this point neither is better.  

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:
CGI-Quality said:
dahuman said:
CGI-Quality said:

I need more grunt too! Crazy, because people told me I wouldn't. And I hear it about the current line-up of cards, roll on what's next (though I admit, I still prefer GeForce cards to Radeon).

I don't want to get into a flaime war.  But I have used both Nvidia and AMD extensively (Though my AMD experience is only in the past couple years).  I had to screw with Nvidia drivers monthly, but AMD's has almost always been smooth sailing (Do a clean install).  I am not saying AMD's are better, just that at this point neither is better.  

I've been using both for a long time and can also chime in that Nvidia used to be better. Somewhere around the launch of HD 6000 series and GTX 500 series it really became a draw. Both are awesome... I actually prefer AMD drivers when it comes to tinkering though because Nvidia drivers are more restrictive when it comes to multimonitor resolutions and displays you use.  

I had to get 3 of the same monitors when I was rocking Nvidia GPU's because it wouldn't take 2x Dell P2311 and 1 E2311 models in Nvidia surround.

CGI-Quality said:
Captain_Tom said:
CGI-Quality said:
dahuman said:
CGI-Quality said:

When it comes to efficiency, NVIDIA hasn't let me down, unlike AMD. They are faster at addressing issues and what not. Neither have been perfect, but I prefer GeForce drivers anyday. 

Now, how would that turn into a flame war, exactly? :P

It wouldn't, a lot of people have both anyways lol.

Actually, AMD's drivers are horrible if you have a multi-GPU set-up, sometimes it can take weeks/months for AMD to get around to adding a game to it's crossfire profiles.
I had to wait like a month for profiles for Skyrim to run it on more than one GPU, thankfully the games crap interface forced me to run in one monitor anyway so the performance wasn't an issue.
You also can't forget the frame latency problem that AMD is working on fixing at the moment either, which has been a massive problem for years.

However, with that said, nVidia did a *massive* fumble when Windows Vista launched, nVidia were responsible for about 30% of the OS's total blue-screen crashes, so it's not like they're infallible either when it comes to drivers.

But generally, for Multi-GPU gaming, nVidia has the edge. - For single card gaming (Which are the majority of GPU purchases) there isn't much in it and both would work perfectly fine without any dramas.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

CGI-Quality said:
Captain_Tom said:
CGI-Quality said:
dahuman said:
CGI-Quality said:

When it comes to efficiency, NVIDIA hasn't let me down, unlike AMD. They are faster at addressing issues and what not. Neither have been perfect, but I prefer GeForce drivers anyday. 

Now, how would that turn into a flame war, exactly? :P

Well here is the thing I have multiple settlings and here are my power use results I measured:

Undervolted 950/1425 -> 130w

Stock Vol.  1070/1515 -> 165w

Standard 1145/1650 -> 225w

Mega OC  1215/1830 -> 250w

As you can see my highest practicle OC uses an insane 250w in full load (But benches 33% higher than a stock 7970!), but my undervolted clock gets me similar power use to a GTX 660 (Which is crazy and still 3% stronger than stock).  If you tinker, power use is crazy low...

Pemalite said:
Actually, AMD's drivers are horrible if you have a multi-GPU set-up, sometimes it can take weeks/months for AMD to get around to adding a game to it's crossfire profiles.
I had to wait like a month for profiles for Skyrim to run it on more than one GPU, thankfully the games crap interface forced me to run in one monitor anyway so the performance wasn't an issue.
You also can't forget the frame latency problem that AMD is working on fixing at the moment either, which has been a massive problem for years.

However, with that said, nVidia did a *massive* fumble when Windows Vista launched, nVidia were responsible for about 30% of the OS's total blue-screen crashes, so it's not like they're infallible either when it comes to drivers.

But generally, for Multi-GPU gaming, nVidia has the edge. - For single card gaming (Which are the majority of GPU purchases) there isn't much in it and both would work perfectly fine without any dramas.

I did 6950 crossfire and I had WAYYYY less problems and much better performance scailing than my friends with Nvidia SLI.  Having said that, Nvidia seems to have really upped the ante with SLI's performance while AMD initially fumbled this gen (600 and 7000 series).  

Although I have to say that the latency problems have been almost entirely fixed by AMD.  In fact most recent benchmarks have shown many AMD cards having less latency than Nvidia cards.  Having said that, neither had latency that was a problem, and I personally never thought either ever had a problem...