By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Bioshock Infinite really that good?

So far, I don't think Bioshock Infinite is that good.

I Agree: I'm playing just to see the end. 50 27.93%

I Don't Agree: Keep play... 53 29.61%

Haven't played it yet. 76 42.46%

Total:179

Is it just me, or is Bioshock Infinite (BI) really not that excellent of a game?

First, let me just say that IMO, BI is not a bad game – I just don’t think it’s as good a game as the Reviews are making it out to be. Secondly, let me say as well that I am a Bioshock fan, and would rate the first two games 9.5 and 9.8 out of 10, with the second game getting the higher score because it felt like a polished gem, but didn’t deserve a perfect score, IMO, because it was just a sequel that really didn't take as much risk as BI does. Finally, I think I also need to mention that I haven’t finished even half of BI yet, so maybe my views are a bit premature until I’ve finished the game.

With that said, here’s what I think is the biggest problem with BI so far: The Combat.

The combat in BI I think is a mess and certainly is not as polished and methodic as in the first two games. For example, in BI you can carry around just two guns, as oppose to the previous games where you could carry something like eight guns to use depending on the situation or enemy you're facing. You also no longer have the choice of the types of ammo, e.g. armour piercing, incendiary, etc.

The lack in the choice of guns and ammo makes the combat in BI very one dimensional. Right now I just use a machine gun for far enemies and a shotgun for close encounters. Mainly, however, I end up just using my melee attack as the 80% of the enemies are so dumb they just run right up to your face, and you can kill almost every enemy with just one or two melee attacks.

Detection in the game is also very cheesy, as enemies often spot you even before you see them and are always on high alert. This means you almost always have to go in guns blazing in every situation. Robot Centuries also have super-duper far scoping detection systems, so these things spot you from a mile away and alert the other enemies of your presence, so you have to again go in guns blazing. So far the game just feels like it forces you from one firefight to another, with nothing really interesting in terms of gameplay, e.g taking down a Big Daddy, to distract you.

Ultimately, the combat in BI is just straight forward shoot anything that moves at a very frantic pace. This I think is a far cry from the more strategic gameplay of the previous games that allowed you to choose different weapons and ammo based on the situation and the enemy you’re fighting.

So far BI is holding on tight to a 7/10 in my book. Anyways, how are you finding Bioshock Infinite so far?

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
It is just you. Did you like Tomb Raider?

Haven't played the last game. But I like the series.

So think the combat in BI is as good as the previous games?

It is better than what the reviews says.

The point is this game reach the AMAZING level of quality that makes the first BioShock absolute in 2007 and after a bad sequel (BioShock 2) everything expect a disappointment again.

But BioShock Infinite lives all the success and hype of the first BioShock... both are one of the best games in this gen.

DaRev said:

Yeap... it as good as BioShock... BioShock 2 have a worst combat system.

spurgeonryan said:

I never played the other one. ones? I have only played infiinte, which I have enjoyed. Maybe that is the reason.

So you will enjoy BioShock and maybe hate BioShock 2... well BioShock 2 is not a bad game it is just the case it is not AMAZING like BioShock and BioShock Infinite.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
It is better than what the reviews says.

The point is this game reach the AMAZING level of quality that makes the first BioShock absolute in 2007 and after a bad sequel (BioShock 2) everything expect a disappointment again.

But BioShock Infinite lives all the success and hype of the first BioShock... both are one of the best games in this gen.

How could BS 2 be a bad game if all it did was build on the first game? What in your opinon made BS 2 a bad game and makes BI so much better?

I agree that holding 2 weapons at a time is kind of weird and annoying at first, but you'll get used to it (at I least I did). I'm currently playing on 1999 mode and believe me that doing melee attacks will result in your death, and it takes A LOT of melee attacks to kill a single enemy, in what level are you playing?

Detection and stealth mechanics aren't really present in the game, so you shouldn't even try it.

Nintendo and PC gamer

i always tought bioshock and especially bioshock 2 underrated. don't get me wrong, the atmosphere and graphics were really well done. what i didn't like is the generic gameplay.

spurgeonryan said:
DaRev said:
spurgeonryan said:
It is just you. Did you like Tomb Raider?

Haven't played the last game. But I like the series.

I never played the other one. ones? I have only played infiinte, which I have enjoyed. Maybe that is the reason.

Yes, I think that would be the reason. If BI is your first BS experience then I agree that it would be an excellent game. But compared to other BS games, I don't think it's that great - remeber I'm not sayign its not a good game - it's just not that great IMO.

Bioshock 2 is my favorite, followed by 1 than infinite. They are all fantastic games.

Who is John Galt?

3DS Friend Code : 2535-4338-9000 

AMD FX 8150 , 8 GB DDR3 Kingston Memory,  EVGA GTX 560 TI 2 GB superclocked, Samsung 256 GB SSD