By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Consoles ruining the gaming industry?

totalwar23 said:
Hmm. From your post, it seems you like the complexity of PC games but let me just say that games are meant to be fun. Simple concept. Some games made on the PC are more fun because of its complexity but from my experience, most aren't. You used Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six as an example. I can tell you that I enjoy RSV very much due to it being more simplistic but I hate GRAW so damn much and that was built separately for the PC. I would have prefer the 360's version of GRAW instead. I'm spending most of time in GRAW ducking, find cover, and persistently looking around for enemies, dying, and starting over again. It's just not that fun.

Secondly, PC gamers get a lot of exclusives because of its unique interface from consoles. There's no lack of complex games on the PC right now. (Of course, people might have different definitions of complexity.) Those games aren't going anywhere. For every developer who decides to switch to console development, there will be another one who decides to concentrate on PC development only.

Thirdly, not all PC exclusive games are complex. A huge majority of them are casual with simple controls and they are fun towards the people they're being market to. There's no harm in that. The gaming industry is big enough to account for all types of gamers. There's no need to start point the finger towards certain groups just because a few franchises you love are no longer what they used to be. Things change. You can usually find new games to play that fit your needs.

Oh, dont get me wrong, there are some games that were just better built for consoles then PCs.  Like Gears of War, i have no idea how its control scheme is played on the PC, and i dont want to know.  I couldnt imagine playing that game well on a keyboard.  

The reason i liked the original Ghost Recon was the ability to control how squads were set up, and ability to control them seperate.  So, you could create flanking situations with your team (you could have 3 squads in the PC version), which helped in certain scenarios, especially ones where you got surrounded and had to fight your way out.  GRAW on the other hand, you can control your one squad, but that also leaves your dumbass exposed and by yourself.  I cant remember how many times i sat through playing that game, and got into this situation that i would be like "If only i set these guys individually, so i can get more then 2 archs of fire, jesus"  

Around the Network
prlatino86 said:
How the hell is the Wii expanding the games in the gaming industry when its filled with more casual and "party" games then the other 2 systems? Im talking about depth of video games , not if more senior citizens are playing video games.

What is this depth that you speak of? You can't find games of depth on the PC anymore? In the OP you talked about sequels, not about new IP. Is PC gaming really that bad now?

fkusumot said:
prlatino86 said:
How the hell is the Wii expanding the games in the gaming industry when its filled with more casual and "party" games then the other 2 systems? Im talking about depth of video games , not if more senior citizens are playing video games.

What is this depth that you speak of? You can't find games of depth on the PC anymore? In the OP you talked about sequels, not about new IP. Is PC gaming really that bad now?

The sequels were examples of games being dumbed down. There is games out there on PC that are complex and intricate. Im pretty sure in one of my posts i specifically said "videogames on average" are feeling more shallow, not that all games are shallow.

EDIT: it was in that same post, haha. 

prlatino86 said:
fkusumot said:
prlatino86 said:

The sequels were examples of games being dumbed down. There is games out there on PC that are complex and intricate. Im pretty sure in one of my posts i specifically said "videogames on average" are feeling more shallow, not that all games are shallow.

So in your opinion, on average, PC gaming is becoming more shallow. When did you first start to have this feeling? Slighty OT, what PC games are intricate and complex?

fkusumot said:
prlatino86 said:
fkusumot said:
prlatino86 said:

So in your opinion, on average, PC gaming is becoming more shallow. When did you first start to have this feeling? Slighty OT, what PC games are intricate and complex?

Once again, your misreading my words.  The very words you put in bold say videogames, not just PC games.  

If you would like for me to create a sort of scale, something everyone can recognize, then a shallow game would be Mario Party, full of minigames, and intricate game would be Oblivion.  I think those are games that people know, and whether you've played them or not, the level of complexity each game requires.  

Around the Network
prlatino86 said:

Once again, your misreading my words. The very words you put in bold say videogames, not just PC games.

If you would like for me to create a sort of scale, something everyone can recognize, then a shallow game would be Mario Party, full of minigames, and intricate game would be Oblivion. I think those are games that people know, and whether you've played them or not, the level of complexity each game requires.

Well, in your OP you seem to be bemoaning the fact that console games aren't as intricate as the PC games you once knew and loved. Is that correct?

fkusumot said:
prlatino86 said:

Once again, your misreading my words. The very words you put in bold say videogames, not just PC games.

If you would like for me to create a sort of scale, something everyone can recognize, then a shallow game would be Mario Party, full of minigames, and intricate game would be Oblivion. I think those are games that people know, and whether you've played them or not, the level of complexity each game requires.

Well, in your OP you seem to be bemoaning the fact that console games aren't as intricate as the PC games you once knew and loved. Is that correct?

No, thats not what im saying.  The main point here is not me comparing console games to PC games.  Before Console gaming and PC gaming used to be 2 different entities.  You didnt see many Nintendo 64 games showing up on PC or vice versa back in the day.  That to me back then was never a problem, as i had my N64 or playstation, and i had my PC.  

The console and PC are different in the sense of the flexibility of a the PC and the static nature of the console.  Both had great games for their different set ups.  But the problem now is more and more, Console Gaming and PC gaming are becoming "ONE" in a sense, with more PC games showing up on consoles and versa. 

The problem im bemoaning, as you put it, is that developers are more and more making games with the static nature of consoles in mind.  So you see more and more games developed to fit the limitations of the consoles.  This wouldnt be an issue if they were made differently, but PC builds are more and more becoming fairly identical (besides graphics, but thats not what im arguing here) to there console counterparts.  This limits what the entire game may be able to do. 

If for some reason a feature or gameplay mechanic wanted to be incorporated into the game, but was limited by, lets say, the lack of options in a control scheme for on consoles (or even just lack of buttons), this feature may totally be never implimented into the game, both PC or console.  

prlatino86 said:
fkusumot said:

The problem im bemoaning, as you put it, is that developers are more and more making games with the static nature of consoles in mind. So you see more and more games developed to fit the limitations of the consoles. This wouldnt be an issue if they were made differently, but PC builds are more and more becoming fairly identical (besides graphics, but thats not what im arguing here) to there console counterparts. This limits what the entire game may be able to do.

If I understand you correctly then, you're saying multi-platform games are limited by the lowest common denominator, which is the console (the PC being stronger). Sounds about right. Why would that be a problem for consoles? It seems like more of a problem for PC gaming.

If the perception is that a genre is dying due to lack of interest, then this would suggest that consumers are ruining the industry, not any particular platform.

If less and less people are interested in purchasing a particular style of game, then less and less companies will be interested in producing that style. As in every industry, profit is king.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

I have been thinking for a while now that PC´c have been slowly detroying the game industry with all the new hardware we need to get every year just to be able to play the newest games.

I also think it shows in this generation how much PC´s affect the gaming industry when we look at the highend consoles.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.