By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Studios’ creative director defends always-online Xbox 720

The rumor that the NeXBox will be a subscription based cable box seems more and more true when you think about it.

Not a bad idea in itself, as this is certainly where the industry is heading down the line. But with the internet in its current form, it will leave a lot of people out. It seems to me that Microsoft will focus their energy on the markets that are already pro-Xbox. Like the UK and the US. If they play their cards well, they may end up keeping those locked away from Sony once again. 

Still, I'm not too thrilled by this if it turns out to be true. I like to be given a choice. And while the infrastructure of Live is very good, having to pay my console for as long as I want to use it, and the potential that it will be rendered completely unusable once its generation has run its course really bothers me. I like to go back to my older consoles from time to time. But if the NexBox works like that, I don't think I'll be able to use it in 10 years. Like I do with my older consoles.

Around the Network
Hynad said:

The rumor that the NeXBox will be a subscription based cable box seems more and more true when you think about it.

That's different,it will have subscription but doesn't mean it won't have normal models.

D-Joe said:
Hynad said:

That's different,it will have subscription but doesn't mean it won't have normal models.

Who knows at this point, right? -__-

sorry but this guy works for Ms, he is defending Always online.. to me that looks like Always online is true.

M.U.G.E.N said:
I will note that David Jaffe defended this guy on gaf and twitter. Sounds like a good/ok guy who just had a brain fart or a venting session or something that didn't expect it to blow up so much

"Knowing Adam, he was probably fucking around with M. But I've not spoken with him- he MAY believe that, he may have just been kidding. I honestly have zero idea about that part. But I honestly hope he doesn't get fired for it. I know so many of you guys who are opposed to 'online only' don't care (and that is certainly your right) but this is a real human we are talking about with a family and trust me when I say that he's one of the good ones. You may disagree with him about this issue (assuming he really meant what he wrote- and yes, that was his responsibility to be aware of how stuff reads on Twitter and how hungry folks are for news about next-gen, especially from someone with his job title) but I assure you guys: if you knew the guy, you'd be feeling really bad for him right now and really all works out great for him.

Not asking you to change your mind or anything- just giving my perspective on it.

Thanks for reading-

David"

Was that posted on Twitter or over Neo? because i cant seem to find it anywere.

Around the Network

They will be second place for sure now

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw

they are crazy for this

cant even turn on your game system to play a game anymore.. you have to be "connected" to play it...

This is pretty much the moment of truth. This is the time where Xbox fans should bitch at M$ to make sure that they drop this wack ass idea before E3 arrives

I'm glad Nintendo and Sony aren't doing this dumb sh!t

3rd Parties saved who now? Nintendo and Sony must be laughing their asses off at this reaction.

Ill wait to see confirmation, but its wonderful how EA and Ubisoft will come out smelling innocent, but MS is the bad guy for doing exactly what they demanded all along.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

if this is a genuine Microsoft employee and isn't trolling he sounds so childish lol.

"electricity goes out to" yer not everywhere.

but does it mean we should have consoles that are always online to work? well ask EA for that answer lol

It would seem that a always online (required) gaming console would be DOA. Maybe it's not a "gaming console" at all. Maybe it is something else. Like a new type of Cable box.

Imagine calling Direct TV / Verizon / Comcast or whatever and saying "I want a Cable subscription".

The Customer Rep says " OK Great we will send someone out. They will be out between 10 am and 3 pm"

The installer shows up to hook the service up and says "Here's your Xbox".

Honestly the only way I could see it working. Not saying it's a bad idea at all. Can a Online Only Gaming Console actually work? I don't think it could being marketed the way other consoles are. The Xbox 360 may very well be the last Microsoft "gaming console".

I know nothing but this. Microsoft has some kind of plan.