By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A tribute to the most underrated musician ever: Trent Reznor (Project NiN)

kitler53 said:
lol, i can't help but laugh at the though you just discovered NIN. I've been a huge fan since 1990 when a friend loaned me his copy of pretty hate machine. But I completely agree with you about NIN being great. Maybe not for anyone but Trent is really good at what he does. NIN is definitely in my top 10 favorite bands. xD

Yea i know, i should be ashamed of myself. But i can't help it either, the band isn't popular over here and if you don't hear it, you can't know it, right =)

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

eheh, Trent Reznor is not underrated.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

gebx said:
eheh, Trent Reznor is not underrated.

Thanks for your constructive contribution to this thread.

now get lost. 

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

There's a reason why The Downward Spiral is quintessentially considered the greatest industrial record of all time. So I wouldn't say he's underrated, but I also wouldn't say he's overrated either. While he'll likely never experience the same level of success of TDS, he's not the only musician to peak early in his carrerr(see: Pearl Jam w/ Ten) and he has shown he can still be relevant in today's absolutely shitty musical environment. NIN is just one of those things you either love or hate. You either get it, or you don't. Personally, the world of music is better off with Trent in it rather than without. Glad he beat his addictions and is still with us today.

I like his stuff - and I love the Cash version of Hurt.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

Nine Inch Nails is actually pretty big (or at least it was) over here. Everyone knows the name, anyways, though not everyone is knows Trent Reznor is the guy behind it.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Snufft said:
There's a reason why The Downward Spiral is quintessentially considered the greatest industrial record of all time. So I wouldn't say he's underrated, but I also wouldn't say he's overrated either. While he'll likely never experience the same level of success of TDS, he's not the only musician to peak early in his carrerr(see: Pearl Jam w/ Ten) and he has shown he can still be relevant in today's absolutely shitty musical environment. NIN is just one of those things you either love or hate. You either get it, or you don't. Personally, the world of music is better off with Trent in it rather than without. Glad he beat his addictions and is still with us today.

I hate to nit-pick, but, "the greatest industrial record of all time"? Over, say, Skinny Puppy's "The Process," or Kidneythieves' "Trickster," or Thrill Kill Kult's "I See Good Spirits and I See Bad Spirits," just to name a few?

The only way I could see somebody naming a NIN album as "the greatest industrial record of all time" is if they haven't been exposed to much industrial outside of, well, NIN.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

For a laugh, try "Head Like A Hole" with...Devo!

Kasz216 said:

I actually think he's pretty overrated... as everything he's done recently has both sucked and not differed fundamentally from his hits... but to each their own.

Also... mainstream radiostations don't play Nine Inch Nails? Are you kidding me? Like every radiostation in my area anywhere near that genre plays NIN... pretty much every rock station, those 70's 80's 90's and today stations, any pop stations, new stations.

NIN songs are all over the place... like... EVERYWHERE.

Ah, a quick check from your profile shows your not in the USA.

Yeah. NIN is big everywhere... or rather were moreso in the 90's though Trent does still get a huge amount of play in the US.

His stuff has been Mainstream in the US since I was in highschool though.

For one, Year Zero is the best album he has done in at least 10 years.  Two, I have seen Nine Inch Nails in concert twice, and I have to say they put on the best show I have ever seen, and I have seen at least 60 bands in concert, including some really high profile live shows like Bjork, Tool, Muse, and to a lesser extent Bob Dylan (seen him twice, but I can't say I was blown away either time, and I like Bob Dylan).

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Just further reiterating your point of Trent Reznor being a one-man band and one of the reasons I have a lot of respect for his talents is that he plays all the instruments on the recorded releases of all NIN albums (bar a few releases with guest performers such as Dave Grohl on drums on 'What You Think You Are' and "Line Begins to Blur' from With Teeth.

Not only does he write all the music and lyrics but he also mixes/produces the albums (with Alan Moulder). I don't think there is another artist possible of labelling a more definitive 'one man band' than Trent Reznor.

I'm starting to sound like wikipedia but among his accolades of being one of 25 most influential people voted by Time magazine and included in top 100 bands of all time voted by Rolling Stone magazine, he is largely heralded as the godfather of the Industrial music genre with Gary Numan; see NIN's cover of 'Metal'.

The live performances are always amazing with spectacular light shows.