By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony dropping th 80GB in favor of 120-160GB with Dual Shock 3

I would like to see a new sku with BC !!!
it is better to have the choice !

Time to Work !

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:

You're missing the point completely. Sony is taking in LESS money at the same price they were a few months ago. Same with Nintendo. Cutting prices in the US is a double edged sword.

Only nerds like us care about Sony's/MS's/Nintendo's income. Price is the only way to win the crowd. No matter how good is your device it has to be affordable. Still a long way to go for PS3.

kber81 said:
FishyJoe said:

You're missing the point completely. Sony is taking in LESS money at the same price they were a few months ago. Same with Nintendo. Cutting prices in the US is a double edged sword.

Only nerds like us care about Sony's/MS's/Nintendo's income. Price is the only way to win the crowd. No matter how good is your device it has to be affordable. Still a long way to go for PS3.

Well that's the whole point of this site isn't it? To delve deeper into analysis than just cheaper price sells more. 

Kber, he wasn't suggesting that the typical consumer cares, he's saying that Sony cares, and they do.

Sony has bled and bled and bled money on the PS3. There has to be a limit how much they're willing ot sacrifice in the hopes that people will warm up to the console, and it's possible they've reached that limit.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I really hope Europe gets a new model with BC soon, i don't want to have to buy the 40Gb with GTAIV and replace my broken PS2.

Around the Network

That would be a decent package, I suppose. A unfortunate furthering of the confusion that mainstream consumers feel, however.

I'm hoping for prices more along the lines of 40BG -->$299, 120 - 160GB -->$399 (and keeping up the bundles with Resistance and Motorstorm. The more people that Sony puts RFOM and Motorstorm into the hands of, the more people will go out and buy the sequel on or near it's release.

Entroper said:
TheBigFatJ said:
dolemit3 said:
More rumors and speculation.

Arstechnica has been accurate every single time they've posted something like this about the PS3 with their source.

Keeping their pricing the same is a mistake. If they're doing a move like this, they're doing it to increase sales of the more expensive unit in an effort to improve their bottom line. Look at Microsoft: the "Elite" is $100 extra for some black paint, a 120 GB hard drive, and an HDMI cable, and people are still buying it.

Fixed that for you.

You realize an HDMI cable is worth about $4, shipped, right?

Its just a way that the DS3 to help move consoles. Rumble moving consoles is funny as hell. Rut with all the whining about rumble I wouldn't be surprised if sales get a little spike. DS3 will be the top seller on amazon for quite awhile when ever its out.

TheBigFatJ said:
Entroper said:
TheBigFatJ said:

Arstechnica has been accurate every single time they've posted something like this about the PS3 with their source.

Keeping their pricing the same is a mistake. If they're doing a move like this, they're doing it to increase sales of the more expensive unit in an effort to improve their bottom line. Look at Microsoft: the "Elite" is $100 extra for some black paint, a 120 GB hard drive, and an HDMI cable, and people are still buying it.

Fixed that for you.

You realize an HDMI cable is worth about $4, shipped, right?

First it's just black paint, now it's just a $4 HDMI cable, but you still seem to be forgetting (read: purposefully ignoring) the 120 GB notebook-sized hard drive.  Nobody is denying that MS makes more money on an Elite than a Pro, but the difference is substantially more than the color of the paint.