By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ALL marioboys bought SMG and Wii? Or speculations made on SMG and SMS sales

1 Metal Gear Solid Konami 5.59m

2 Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Konami 5.56m
5 Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance Konami 0.16m

3 Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3.96m
4 Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Konami 0.47m

5.59, 5.72, 4.43. =)

@RPGuy96, MGS was NEVER BIG in Japan. Surprised?
and GTA series also were NEVER BIG in Japan. Again Surprised?
As i said BEFORE - DIFFERENT TASTES.

OK, now About ATTACH rates of SMG and other SM games in Japan:
http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Japan&game1=Super+Mario+World+-+SNES&reg2=Japan&game2=Super+Mario+64+-+N64&reg3=Japan&game3=Super+Mario+Galaxy+-+Wii&weeks=100

First of all, the selling trend is lower for SMG.
Second, Wii need to reach those 80-100 mln. which are GAMERS, not casuals non-gamers.

Comparing hardcore/casual gamers vs hardcore/casual gamers + casual non-gamers, is not the best thing to show ATTACH rate.

DO YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND, THAT CASUAL NON-GAMERS ARE NOT SAME PEOPLE AS CASUAL GAMERS?

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

Do you understand that there are more casual non-gamers than there are gamers?

And with that, a casual non-gamer will be more likely to pick up and play Mario than they would Final Fantasy 13.

If 4 million people buy my game, I could care less if they were hard core gamers or casual non-gamers: )))))))))))))

@That Guy,

Do you understand that there are more casual non-gamers than there are gamers?
non-gamers? YES.
willing to buy Wii? Debatable.
And with that, a casual non-gamer will be more likely to pick up and play Mario than they would Final Fantasy 13.
Have you FACTS? or this is just an OPINION? CGI graphics has no appeal to people? aha.
If 4 million people buy my game, I could care less if they were hard core gamers or casual non-gamers:
First of all they need to BUY it, for now, the selling TREND is going DOWN.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Its a FACT that Mario is an easier game to play than Final Fantasy. There should be no argument there. I can assure you that the "13" after the final fantasy name will confuse most non-gamers. CGI appeals to people. But I can also assure you that a non-gamer will be able to pick up and learn Mario in about 10 minutes. I'm not even sure that you can do the same with Final Fantasy.

Are you going to argue this point with me now? That FF is easier to play than Mario?

And like I said before, when you've sold 6 million copies of a game in 3 months or whatever, OF COURSE THE TREND IS GOING TO GO DOWN. I'm not going to expect that SMG will sell at this rate forever. Even if 0 copies of SMG are sold from now to like forever, SMG will be considered a HUGE SUCCESS.

CrazzyMan said:

1 Metal Gear Solid Konami 5.59m

2 Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Konami 5.56m
5 Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance Konami 0.16m

3 Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3.96m
4 Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Konami 0.47m

5.59, 5.72, 4.43. =)

@RPGuy96, MGS was NEVER BIG in Japan. Surprised?
and GTA series also were NEVER BIG in Japan. Again Surprised?
As i said BEFORE - DIFFERENT TASTES.

OK, now About ATTACH rates of SMG and other SM games in Japan:
http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Japan&game1=Super+Mario+World+-+SNES®2=Japan&game2=Super+Mario+64+-+N64®3=Japan&game3=Super+Mario+Galaxy+-+Wii&weeks=100

First of all, the selling trend is lower for SMG.
Second, Wii need to reach those 80-100 mln. which are GAMERS, not casuals non-gamers.

Comparing hardcore/casual gamers vs hardcore/casual gamers + casual non-gamers, is not the best thing to show ATTACH rate.

DO YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND, THAT CASUAL NON-GAMERS ARE NOT SAME PEOPLE AS CASUAL GAMERS?

Your graph shows SMG tracking below SM64, the game that carried the system for I don't even know how long, and HIGHER than Super Mario World. And keep in mind that your link only shows JAP sales -- you ignore that SMG is doing much BETTER in NA and EUR than it is in JAP, and probably better RELATIVELY than previous Mario titles in NA and EUR than JAP. SM64 sold roughly half of its copies in NA; SMG is at 55% NA/WW already, JAP is at less than 20% (roughly 16% by my estimate) and NA and EUR sales are not leveling out like JAP sales are. http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Japan&game1=Super+Mario+Galaxy+-+Wii®2=America&game2=Super+Mario+Galaxy+-+Wii®3=Others&game3=Super+Mario+Galaxy+-+Wii&weeks=100 There is evidence that SM64 had about 16% of total sales in JAP -- as of 30 Sep 1999 sales were JAP 1.8m, NA/EUR 9.04m. So, 16.6%. The game probably had better legs outside Japan (total guess), but even if every single sale from 10.84m to 11.89m was outside Japan that's still above 15%. In contrast, the JAP share of total sales for SMG seems to be dropping like a stone and it's ALREADY about or almost as low as SM64 ever was! http://ign64.ign.com/articles/072/072580p1.html In conclusion, your graph FAVORS the older Mario over the newer Mario and it STILL beats one of them. Since it is certain that Wii will beat N64 LTD, and SNES LTD, and since SMG is tracking above SMW on the SNES, do you then agree that SMG total sales ought to beat SMW total sales? (If you want, we can adjust downward to omit pack-in sales, then adjust upward to reflect higher Wii sales.) Please respond. P.S. I see you saying a lot about "different tastes" or "casual gamers vs. casual nongamers" but that does not change the fact of SMG sales. Unless you want to talk about only Japan and not WW or NA or EUR, but I thought that was not the case. In any case, you say you want to talk about "ATTACH rate" and not that stuff, and I agree, so I have given attach rates and other valuable comparisons. I hope you enjoy them. =) P.P.S. Interesting note: JAP Wii = 24.55% WW Wii; JAP N64 = 16.85% WW N64. So it seems that Mario is much less popular, relatively speaking, in Japan now than he was in N64 days; even though JAP Wii has a higher share of WW sales than JAP N64 did, JAP SMG has no higher share of WW sales than JAP SM64 did and it is dropping fast. It would be interesting to see whether this trend was true going further back. BUT I don't see that topic as relevant to the discussion per se, just an interesting side topic or diversion.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

Final-Fan said:

CrazzyMan said:

LOGIC

Logic should be Stephen Colberts newest #1 on the Threatdown, because it is a crazy arguement killer.

Very well put.

ok. Are we still going ahead with the bet?

SMG Sales WW vs. Whatever Crazzyman wants (though for GTAIV, we'll only count PS3 sales should he choose GTAIV), WW sales.

first 3 months of sales then?

Crazzy, Wii Fit has after 13 weeks outsold every single final fantasy, if going by attachment rate. 1.8/5 = 24 %

Vs best Final Fantasy in Japan: VIII: 3.6/19.4=18.5%

Holy cow! The third best selling Wii game in Japan > every single FF game in attachment rate! And it has only been out for 13 weeks!

Now SSBM in Japan! 1.4M out of 3.6M = 38 %! OMG! :):):):):) SSBM has TWICE the ATTACHMENT RATE of the best Final Fantasy!

Actually, in Japan, 7 GAMECUBE games have better attachment rate than ANY game on a SONY PLATFORM ever have had, INCLUDING Super Mario SUNSHINE!

Oh no! SMG will only sell as good as better than any PS game ever had:(

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

And I haven't even STARTED yet.

N64, Super smash bros. 2.2M out of 5.4M base = 40% attachment rate! PWNAGE confirmed! PS games don't stand a change! There are ELLEVEN N64 games that have sold better in attachment rate, than ANY game on a SONY PLATFORM.

And on SNES there are 3 games, that have sold better in attachment rate than ANY of the FINAL FANTASY seires!

And hey, let's not even start with handhelds, ok?

OH! let's compare to GT series! The best GT has 2.5M out of 20M so that is 12.5 % well, 13 if you are nice.

Let's compare to that!

There are 17 games on the N64 that beats the GT series in attachment rate!

There are 12 games on the GC that beats any of the GT series in attachment rate!

On WII there are currently 5 games better.

NOW, we go by XB attachment rate in JAPAN.

2 games on the original XB > all on Sony platforms ever.

PWNAGE CONFIRMED!!!!