By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WTF!!! Devil May Cry 4?

As a result of many threads like these, I decided to contact Capcom UK for an explanation for the pricing difference in all of the PAL-areas for the 360 and PS3 versions of Devil May Cry 4. I sent an e-mail yesterday and just a few hours ago I got a response from Leo at Capcom UK:

"I didn't realise we were the only publisher doing this. In actuality, it's not that the PS3 version has been made more expensive, but that our business model has allowed us to discount the Xbox 360 version."

So it all comes down to the business model of Capcom, where the can make the 360 version less expensive than the PS3 version. I made an article of this e-mail on my own website and submitted it on N4G as well. Links can be seen below.

Original Story:
http://www.ps3only.nl/nieuwsitem.php?nid=9159

N4G:
http://www.n4g.com/News-104884.aspx

No problem! ;)

You aint found shit!

Around the Network

Looking around, in gaming £10 is a lot of difference for the same game especially when at some places 360 version is reduced to £30 and PS3 only to £40 ($18 difference).

Their business model must really make some crap up to think it works so they can charge that much difference.

Hmm, pie.

No surprise here, PS3 games generally carry a slightly bigger price tag over here in Denmark.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

The Fury said:
Looking around, in gaming £10 is a lot of difference for the same game especially when at some places 360 version is reduced to £30 and PS3 only to £40 ($18 difference).

Their business model must really make some crap up to think it works so they can charge that much difference.

Well lets see...

reportidly from what i've heard

Sony's liscensing fee is like 1 or 2 dollars more per game.

Blu-Ray discs cost a lot more then DVD9 to replicate.

DMC was originally made on a PC and then ported to 360 and PS3. 360 is much more like a standard PC then PS3. Therefore the porting to PS3 probably took more time and effort.

Additionally, the 360 is more familiar, meaning that even more costs were probably needed to make the PS3 port as good as it could be.

So i'd have to guess all four of those factors led to the PS3 port costing more then the 360 port and they decided to charge the PS3 the difference instead of splitting it across both consoles.

If you look at it from that model it seems to make perfect sense, no? 

Kasz216 said:
The Fury said:

Well lets see...

DMC was originally made on a PC and then ported to 360 and PS3. 360 is much more like a standard PC then PS3. Therefore the porting to PS3 probably took more time and effort.

Additionally, the 360 is more familiar, meaning that even more costs were probably needed to make the PS3 port as good as it could be.

So i'd have to guess all four of those factors led to the PS3 port costing more then the 360 port and they decided to charge the PS3 the difference instead of splitting it across both consoles.

That all makes sense sure...but then why is it the same price in Japan and NA regions while good old PAL get screwed? Even though it's reduced most places it still ends up at about $80 when NA are paying $60.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

...but then again the game is the exact same price on both systems in Japan (and the US from what others have posted). Why is the PAL area the only place with the price difference?

Anyway, did you all see the new L`Arc~en~Ciel DMC4 trailer on the DMC4 JP website? (not sure if it's in the other countries DMC4 websites) Just click on "Movies" and it's the new one there.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/devil4/

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Kasz216 said:
The Fury said:

Well lets see...

Sort of - but Capcom have publically stated the toolset they developed allows same costs/effort for PS3 360 so its nothing to do with the game itself or anything like that.  Disk production could be more somehow in Europe but that doesn't cover explanation.

Also, just saw another, somewhat contradictory announcement where Capcom seems to be saying the difference lies with the retailers...

Still seems fishy to me a difference in one territory and no clear explanation why.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

The Fury said:
Kasz216 said:
The Fury said:

Well lets see...

That all makes sense sure...but then why is it the same price in Japan and NA regions while good old PAL get screwed? Even though it's reduced most places it still ends up at about $80 when NA are paying $60.

Cause Europe is used to being screwed and they figured they'd be the only ones to take it without raising a fuss?

Kasz216 said:

Cause Europe is used to being screwed and they figured they'd be the only ones to take it without raising a fuss?

There we go. But then PAL region is always screwed. I blame the weak dollar.

Hmm, pie.

Yes a lot of PS3 games in EU/UK cost more than 360 versions, the cost of developing for bluray and Sony's strategy of loosing money on hardware to make it back on sales of software/peripherals is the reason the price difference is likely to continue for a long time!!