By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should it be necessary to have a PS2, PS3 AND PS4 hooked up all at once to play?

Despite having a backwards-compatible PS3, I still use my PS2 to play PS2 games. Some of the older PS2 games don't work well on the PS3 (particularly old titles, like the first Tekken Tag Tournament), exhibiting massive decreases in framerate. My launch PS2 still works fine (sort of impressive actually, considering how much it's been used in the past 13 years), although I do intend on buying a new PS2 just in case my current one breaks down.

Around the Network

you bought them, you may as well play them.

The only people who say BC is overrated are people who sell out for the latest, greatest thing and hold no value in history.

With that said, of all consoles to release to date, WiiU I think is the one system to hold the greatest need FOR BC, with PS3 being a close second. Both systems' predecessors had phenomenal libraries that need to be kept for the modern audiences. And a big reason BC hasn't been a major selling point has mostly been failure to market it properly. In today's economy, I can concede that marketing it properly will be nearly impossible, though.

SW-5120-1900-6153

No not at all, just hook up your ps4 and when you want to play a PSone, PS2 or PS3 game just hook that up, its what im going to do ; )

My ps2 and gamcube sit in a box under my bed, if i have the urge to play an old title 4-5 times a year i simply get it out and plug it in, (i think it takes me all of 3 minutes to do)

when the ps4 comes out i will likley keep my ps3 plugged in for games such as gt6 and the last of us and possibly gta if there are no ps4 supported version

Why are people acting like this is a task? that your being really hard done by

Around the Network

I have my PS2 still hooked up and ready to play yet I haven't turned it on in years. I'll still keep it plugged in though just in case I want to play downhill domination again.

It's kind of ironic that Sony invented BC in consoles and they are the first to kill it off.

darkknightkryta said:
rutea7 said:

I don't care about BC anymore, I think not being region locked is much more important nowadays. I don't have a ps2 anymore, I sold mine to buy a ps3 in 2009 and I don't miss it, I wouldn't b replaying those games in an HD TV.

And I definitely don't plan on getting rid of my beloved ps3 until 720p becomes unbearable to look at... That might take a while.

Besides, its so f-ing pretty and red!

You bought the God of War PS3?????

No, last years I sold my fat ps3 without the ds3 and got the ps3 slim red with two red ds3, I love it. Besides I had some friends over and with 3 controllers we had some fun with games like motorstorm apocalypse, Scott pilgrim and lbp2. It was a mess of course.

Should it be necessary to have a NES, SNES, N64, GameCube AND Wii U hooked up all at once to play?

If backwards compatibility is hampering a systems capabilities then I would happily sacrifice it. In the N64->GCN case, Nintendo finally (somewhat) gave into the fact that CDs could hold significantly more data than cartridges.

In the case of PS4, Sony has finally given in and recognizes that an x86, PC-like architecture makes it much easier for developers to work with. If developers are happy, they can make games much easier and there will be more and better games on the PS4.

I would much rather have better games on the PS4 than have it play old games.

Desktop: AMD Phenom X4 955, ATI Radeon 7950 :: Laptop: Intel i7-3532QM, ATI Radeon 7670m

Consoles: 3DS XL, PS Vita, Zelda 3DS, PS3 Super Slim, DSi, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, Wii, GameCube, PS2

Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Persona 4: Golden

JoeTheBro said:
It's kind of ironic that Sony invented BC in consoles and they are the first to kill it off.

Sony was the first to implement backward compatibility directly from their first to second systems, but it was Atari who invented the concept.

I remember public uproar when the Atari 5200 would not play the 2600's library. When the 7800 launched it played (mostly) all of the 2600's library, but not the 5200's, which was relegated to black sheep status.

Later, Sega allowed backward compatibility of the Master System's library on the Genesis via a converter that plugged into the top of the unit. I bought one just to be able to play Phantasy Star and Wonder Boy in Monster Land.

thetonestarr said:
The only people who say BC is overrated are people who sell out for the latest, greatest thing and hold no value in history.

With that said, of all consoles to release to date, WiiU I think is the one system to hold the greatest need FOR BC, with PS3 being a close second. Both systems' predecessors had phenomenal libraries that need to be kept for the modern audiences. And a big reason BC hasn't been a major selling point has mostly been failure to market it properly. In today's economy, I can concede that marketing it properly will be nearly impossible, though.

The only BC advantage I can see nowadays is if its a selling point for a system that I might get, doesn't have a big game library yet and there's old games I'd want on it. WiiU would do that for me with a price drop some new rpgs and xenoblade but only if I can hack it and make it region free.