By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No More Heroes is roughly 10X more violent than Manhunt (spoilers)

Severing a child's hand? A woman putting a grenade in her mouth and having her upper torso blasted to bits? Graphic and repeated decapitation? Severing a human body in two right down the center?

Par for the course for No More Heroes. Unlike Manhunt 2, however, NHM also happens to be an excellent game.

So I've been thinking, should we, the internet populace, tell news outlets about how immensely violent it is, thus causing controversy to stir and sales to skyrocket?

It'd be a shame if a piece of trash like Manhunt 2 outsold it and controversy typically worked in the past.

Does anyone have Jack Thompson's email? We need to get this ball rolling... 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network

I'm actually enjoying Manhunt 2. It has its flaws, but that doesn't take away the fact that at the end of the day its a fun game. Although I'm sure NMH is the better game, but I haven't played it yet so I can't say one way or another.

@Smash_Brother excellent idea. Get Jack to hate this game so he can do all the promoting.

While Suda reeps the benefits

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

i bought this game a couple days ago i haven't had a chance to play it yet been to busy working a big case at work that's takes up all my free time.

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

How do you quantify violence?

Is there a violence scale where kicking a puppy is around about a 4?

Is it exponential?

So many questions that need answering for the topic title to make sense.

Around the Network

Don't worry. This game will sell far more than Manhunt 2.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Rath said:
How do you quantify violence?

Is there a violence scale where kicking a puppy is around about a 4?

Is it exponential?

So many questions that need answering for the topic title to make sense.

You won't be kicking any puppies in NMH (though you will have a cat-catching minigame where you go to collect lost cats).

For starters, Manhunt 2 had its executions censored so that you couldn't see a damn thing on screen while one was happening. Perhaps if they weren't censored it would measure up, but Suda made good on the promise that the game would be more violent than Manhunt 2. 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

It took the MSM a ridiculously long time to figure out that there was sexuality in Mass Effect, so they should start noticing the violence in NMH around Valentine's Day.

It's not made by Rockstar or published by Take2, therefore Jack won't even know it exists and if you tell him he won't care.

No More Heroes won't get the attention games like Manhunt 2 will get for several reasons:

1. No More Heroes is cartoony as opposed to the realistic Manhunt 2 (as in styles, not quality of graphics).
  2. No More Heroes doesn't come from a company with a reputation for pushing the line like R*.
  3. No More Heroes isn't nearly known enough to attract any kind of attention.