How does this make you feel?

Happy 549 70.38%

Sad 17 2.18%

Scared 4 0.51%

Excited 4 0.51%

Angry 2 0.26%

Awful 7 0.90%

Total:583

Not sure if anybody has read this. It's an interview from Neil Druckmann on the last of us.

MI interviews Neil Druckmann about health system, combat, why co-op got tossed, and recent school shootings. Good article courtesy of http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=524190 and MI German magazine. A recent sixth axis article was deemed fake by Neil Druckmann but I beleive it was misrepresented and he was talking about input lag, not the health system. Also it is a translation so there are some spelling errors. Enjoy!

Interview with Neil Druckmann

"Weapons don't belong into public hands"

M! meets with Creative Director Neil Druckmann in Los Angeles, gets an explanation why patching up is an important gameplay element, debates about pros and cons of a coop mode and asks about the responsibility in times of school massacres, where the victims are mostly children.

M!Games: In "The Last of Us" we have to patch ourselves up. We disinfect and dress wounds. Last time we did that was in "Metal Gear Solid 3". Was that your inspiration?

I remember pretty clearly how Bruce and I played a certain shooter. Bruce said: Isn't it totally bananas that I have to constantly ram shots of adrenaline into my leg and after that can fight with full force? Epinephrine is indeed used by Special Forces, increases blood pressure and makes larger reserves of energy available to the body. Thus you don't notice the pain anymore, but bleeding isn't stopped. You have to actually retrieve the bullet, disinfect and dress the wound for that. And you do exactly that in "The Last of Us". But still, we certainly had "MGS" somewhere in our mind (laughs).

M!Games: The injury system is also pretty interesting. If we play poorly, you want to penalize us, right?

That's not really the point. We do want the players to get to know all gameplay systems and to avoid groups of opponents. We reward tacticians, but when you still try to fight them, it should feel authentic. It's time that we make real progress in the gaming industry. I mean how does it makes sense that your character with almost no energy fights as effectively as with full energy? You should feel what your character goes through, after all. If your leg is limping or your arm is shaking, because Joel's dominant arm was hit, you will put more thought about your attacks next time. We wanted the players to identify with Joel, to make them blend in, that was the overall goal.

M!Games: The enemies are fighting for their lifes far more intense than in "Uncharted" for example. Do you plan keeping this system for your next projects?

"The Last of Us" is a very special game, which provides and needs very special features. I think "Uncharted" isn't suitable for showing brutal close combat, where skulls are shattered by bricks. We thought with our actors about what would normal people do when being attacked. The bandits are mostly civilians, who joined a certain group to survive. They're no soldiers, no trained killers. When you blast away the head of one of their colleagues, then they escape and will wait or search for combat support to eventually start another attack. They're scared. They're no less scared than Joel and Ellie.

M!Games: Tess saved our life twice in the preview. Was that all scripted?

There are scenes in the game that are scripted. Our engine permanently scans the whole area and our AI knows where the player is and where to place the NPCs to help him. Ellie supports the player with ammunition because she always seeks for more rounds. Your followers know what you do. If you get into cover waiting for the right moment, they won't mess up your stealth attack and also get into cover. If you don't have any ammunition left or need to reload, maybe Ellie will throw a brick at the enemy's head and neutralize him for you. But this happens sporadically, there's no guarantee that Ellie or Tess will save your skin!
This whole magic works because of the area scanning. We want to keep the immersion constantly high, thus no weapons or ammunition HUDs are shown until you participate in a battle. You can throw an enemy or ram him into an obstacle - the engine chooses the animation for that, based on their positions. That's why battles don't get boring. One might grab a bandit and slam his head on the edge of a table. Another one might kiss the back of a chair.

M!Games: Wouldn't Tess be a perfect fit for a coop character? We're aware of the fact that you really want to focus on the relationship between Joel and Ellie, but Tess just begs the question.

Sony gave us the luxury to experiment with a lot of things. Originally there was even a command interface making it possible to order Ellie around. But we didn't want to make a tactical shooter. Ellie has her own, often stubborn mind. It wouldn't fit her as a character been ordered around. Tess plays a major role, but above all stands the relationship between Joel and Ellie. They both have to spend a lot of time together without the involvement of a third person. I also think that coop wouldn't work in the game because it fairly limits the possibilities of a game. We would get the classic scenario: "Hey, there is a door! Climb up there and open it up!" That would be far too easy, Ellie helps the player once in a while, but the solution always has to be found by the player himself.

M!Games: Recently the US again suffered from a school massacre. A major New Yorker newspaper criticized your game because of Ellie's role. You became a father yourself latetly, what do you think about the whole matter?

There are two sides to that. As a father of a two months old daughter this debate is really bugging me. This violence has to stop, weapons don't belong in the public.
On the other side I see the art. We can't always hide from those matters. If a movie like "True Grit" has a girl in, it handling a revolver, why can't we do the same? There are many games and movies focusing on violence alone - because that's what sells. But in our case it's an important part of the story, the whole world and as we talked about it, the gameplay. Reducing that brutality, would take away a lot of fright of that particular version of the US. If we'd make Ellie older, the whole story wouldn't work. We see "The Last of Us" as an artistic project - and art should sometimes be defended against opposition.

The bolded sounds really awesome and leave it to naughty dog to make awesome AI.

Around the Network
nnodley said:

Not sure if anybody has read this. It's an interview from Neil Druckmann on the last of us.

MI interviews Neil Druckmann about health system, combat, why co-op got tossed, and recent school shootings. Good article courtesy of http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=524190 and MI German magazine. A recent sixth axis article was deemed fake by Neil Druckmann but I beleive it was misrepresented and he was talking about input lag, not the health system. Also it is a translation so there are some spelling errors. Enjoy!

M! meets with Creative Director Neil Druckmann in Los Angeles, gets an explanation why patching up is an important gameplay element, debates about pros and cons of a coop mode and asks about the responsibility in times of school massacres, where the victims are mostly children.

M!Games: In "The Last of Us" we have to patch ourselves up. We disinfect and dress wounds. Last time we did that was in "Metal Gear Solid 3". Was that your inspiration?

I remember pretty clearly how Bruce and I played a certain shooter. Bruce said: Isn't it totally bananas that I have to constantly ram shots of adrenaline into my leg and after that can fight with full force? Epinephrine is indeed used by Special Forces, increases blood pressure and makes larger reserves of energy available to the body. Thus you don't notice the pain anymore, but bleeding isn't stopped. You have to actually retrieve the bullet, disinfect and dress the wound for that. And you do exactly that in "The Last of Us". But still, we certainly had "MGS" somewhere in our mind (laughs).

M!Games: The injury system is also pretty interesting. If we play poorly, you want to penalize us, right?

That's not really the point. We do want the players to get to know all gameplay systems and to avoid groups of opponents. We reward tacticians, but when you still try to fight them, it should feel authentic. It's time that we make real progress in the gaming industry. I mean how does it makes sense that your character with almost no energy fights as effectively as with full energy? You should feel what your character goes through, after all. If your leg is limping or your arm is shaking, because Joel's dominant arm was hit, you will put more thought about your attacks next time. We wanted the players to identify with Joel, to make them blend in, that was the overall goal.

M!Games: The enemies are fighting for their lifes far more intense than in "Uncharted" for example. Do you plan keeping this system for your next projects?

"The Last of Us" is a very special game, which provides and needs very special features. I think "Uncharted" isn't suitable for showing brutal close combat, where skulls are shattered by bricks. We thought with our actors about what would normal people do when being attacked. The bandits are mostly civilians, who joined a certain group to survive. They're no soldiers, no trained killers. When you blast away the head of one of their colleagues, then they escape and will wait or search for combat support to eventually start another attack. They're scared. They're no less scared than Joel and Ellie.

There are scenes in the game that are scripted. Our engine permanently scans the whole area and our AI knows where the player is and where to place the NPCs to help him. Ellie supports the player with ammunition because she always seeks for more rounds. Your followers know what you do. If you get into cover waiting for the right moment, they won't mess up your stealth attack and also get into cover. If you don't have any ammunition left or need to reload, maybe Ellie will throw a brick at the enemy's head and neutralize him for you. But this happens sporadically, there's no guarantee that Ellie or Tess will save your skin!
This whole magic works because of the area scanning. We want to keep the immersion constantly high, thus no weapons or ammunition HUDs are shown until you participate in a battle. You can throw an enemy or ram him into an obstacle - the engine chooses the animation for that, based on their positions. That's why battles don't get boring. One might grab a bandit and slam his head on the edge of a table. Another one might kiss the back of a chair.

M!Games: Wouldn't Tess be a perfect fit for a coop character? We're aware of the fact that you really want to focus on the relationship between Joel and Ellie, but Tess just begs the question.

Sony gave us the luxury to experiment with a lot of things. Originally there was even a command interface making it possible to order Ellie around. But we didn't want to make a tactical shooter. Ellie has her own, often stubborn mind. It wouldn't fit her as a character been ordered around. Tess plays a major role, but above all stands the relationship between Joel and Ellie. They both have to spend a lot of time together without the involvement of a third person. I also think that coop wouldn't work in the game because it fairly limits the possibilities of a game. We would get the classic scenario: "Hey, there is a door! Climb up there and open it up!" That would be far too easy, Ellie helps the player once in a while, but the solution always has to be found by the player himself.

M!Games: Recently the US again suffered from a school massacre. A major New Yorker newspaper criticized your game because of Ellie's role. You became a father yourself latetly, what do you think about the whole matter?

There are two sides to that. As a father of a two months old daughter this debate is really bugging me. This violence has to stop, weapons don't belong in the public.
On the other side I see the art. We can't always hide from those matters. If a movie like "True Grit" has a girl in, it handling a revolver, why can't we do the same? There are many games and movies focusing on violence alone - because that's what sells. But in our case it's an important part of the story, the whole world and as we talked about it, the gameplay. Reducing that brutality, would take away a lot of fright of that particular version of the US. If we'd make Ellie older, the whole story wouldn't work. We see "The Last of Us" as an artistic project - and art should sometimes be defended against opposition.

The bolded sounds really awesome and leave it to naughty dog to make awesome AI.

hey man don't take that interview seriously. Apparently the quotes in it are not true. Neil himself said so

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
nnodley said:

hey man don't take that interview seriously. Apparently the quotes in it are not true. Neil himself said so

Ya the first paragraph said something about that and they said that he may have been misinterpreted.  Idk, if true this game will be amazing.  Even if it's not true, it's still gonna be amazing. lol

UPDATE for the Week!

PlayStation 3, PS Vita, & PSP Video Game Releases: March 17th – 23rd, 2013
Google+

March 17, 2013 Written by Jason Dunning

For those of you who enjoy downloading your games, the PlayStation Store is where (pretty much) all the action is happening this week. Save for Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, which we’ll have a review for soon, all the retail releases are also available digitally. Then, when it comes to DLC, there’s some planned for Assassin’s Creed III, PlayStation All-Stars, and more.

Check out all of the scheduled releases for this week below:

*All titles listed are releasing in North America and Europe, unless otherwise noted.

PlayStation 3

Capcom Arcade Cabinet: Game Pack 3 (PSN)
Capcom Arcade Cabinet: Ghosts n Goblins (PSN)
Capcom Arcade Cabinet: Gun.Smoke (PSN)
Capcom Arcade Cabinet: SectionZ (PSN)
Dollar Dash (PSN)
Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory (Retail)
The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct (Retail & PSN)

PlayStation Vita

Dead or Alive 5 Plus (Retail & PSN)

PlayStation Portable

Carnage Heart EXA (PSN – Also PS Vita Compatible) – (NA)

DLC

Assassin’s Creed III “The Tyranny of King Washington: The Betrayal’
Battlefield 3 ‘End Game’
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational ‘Various Characters’ (including Kat from Gravity Rush)
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational ‘Various Courses’
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale ‘Zeus’
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale ‘Isaac Clarke’
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale ‘Graveyard’ Stage
The Pinball Arcade ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation’

Demo

Dead or Alive 5 Plus

Beta

Defiance

*Keep in mind that all release dates are subject to change and more games will be added to both regions on Tuesday/Wednesday with our PlayStation Store Global Update.

Check out our March 2013 release date page to find see what else is releasing soon, and feel free to let us know in the comments which game(s) you’ll be buying this week.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/03/17/playstation-3-ps-vita-psp-video-game-releases-march-17th-23rd-2013/

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

I thought this was interesting. I REALLY wanted 8 days, and I thought the Getaway had so much potential, but they never quite realized it. Hopefully they'll put some star talent into it. I like the idea of a European GTA style game. I find European culture very interesting. If they could move from the UK to other parts that would be nice.

4 cancelled PS3 games we want to see on PS4, but probably never will

Posted March 17th, 2013 at 14:34 EDT by Mike Harradence
7 Comments

Now that PlayStation 4 has been blown wide open (well, sort of –we still don’t know what the box looks like), it’s got us thinking about the myriad of games that we’d love to see on the platform. While there’s the usual suspects floating around in our wish list, such as Uncharted, God of War, Resident Evil, The Last Guardian, and Assassin’s Creed etc. we’ve also cast our thoughts over some of the PS3 titles that sadly never saw the light of day.

Wouldn’t it be pucker if these lost gems could receive new life on Sony’s high-powered next-generation machine? Many of these casualties were fresh IP, and in some cases high-definition versions of major PS2 series that failed to make the jump to Sony’s current black behemoth. Not only did these titles show great promise, but more importantly, the technology afforded by PS4 would surely give developers a chance to realise their potential.

Sadly the realist in us doubts that these games will ever be picked up for PS4, but that doesn’t stop us from keeping our fingers crossed. Here’s 4 cancelled PS3 games (both first and third-party) we want to see on PS4, but probably never will…

- - - - - -

Eight Days

SCE London Studios’ Eight Days remains one of the most intriguing PS3 games to have bitten the dust. A quick peak at the screenshots ostensibly shows a run-of-the-mill actioner, but Eight Days goes beyond that. The game employed a unique concept in the sense it takes place, as the title suggests, over eight days, across eight different states. Sony clearly had strong ambitions with this; at the time of its reveal, it would have boasted the largest game map around. It even took the time you played the game into consideration. For example, play at night time, and the game will be set at night – a great touch, we think you’ll agree. As such, this would have been a great candidate to enjoy new life on PS4. With the console’s technical muscle, we’ve no doubt that the game world could be further expanded to meet Sony’s lofty goals, and the eight day/real-time clock concept wound have surely differentiated it from contemporary action games. Eight Days is officially ‘on hold,’ but since nothing has been heard of since 2009, we doubt it’s going to emerge from cover any time soon.

The Getaway

(that's the first game on the PS2) The others were meh, but it has potential. Maybe future installments ...

Another casualty of SCE London Studios, The Getaway could have been something rather splendid. While the series has been patchy in terms of quality – the original showed the most promise, though Black Monday was a bit naff – Sony’s third attempt didn’t even get a chance. Okay, so some similarities may be shared with GTA, but The Getaway’s trump card is its London, U.K., setting, bringing with it all the colloquial banter of the great cockney rabble, iconic landmarks such as Big Ben and a gritty, underground gangster vibe that recalls the likes of Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. In fact, if done right, we think this game could conceivably rival GTA; imagine a sandbox London to explore, ripe with side-quests, compelling narrative and the chance to run with East End gangsters? It’ll make The Mitchell Brothers seem like a couple of fluffy kittens.

The Lord of the Rings: The White Council

J.R.R. Tolkien’s evocative realm of Middle-Earth has attached itself to the mainstream consciousness once again (not that it ever really left) thanks to The Hobbit films, though video game offerings have been hit and miss in recent years. One of the most promising titles was the shelved White Council; a massive, open-world effort that allowed you to travel anywhere you liked, and take part in a numerous quests. So, think of Skyrim, albeit set in the world of Frodo Baggins and chums – and tantalizing prospect if ever there was one. Early details trumpeted advanced AI, and you could play as the usual suspects, namely a Man, Elf, Dwarf or Hobbit. While fantasy games have come into their own in the post-Oblivion landscape, The White Council would be a perfect fit for the added horsepower afforded by next-generation systems, and no doubt would be able to churn out a far more detailed game world than PS3 could ever achieve. As mentioned, given Lord of the Rings’ patchy history on home consoles, this could be the game to put it back on the map.

Faith and a .45

Deadline Games’ action-heavy Faith and a .45 failed to find a publisher, and was therefore regulated to that great software bin in the sky. Set during the Great Depression – something which we think could be superb if executed properly – Faith and a .45 is said to pack an emotional narrative punch, something which many shooters have tried – and failed - achieve. Gameplay wise we were promised an amalgamation between Gears of War and Army of Two, with the story focusing on Luke and Ruby, two loved up outlaws battling against a dastardly oilman. The game’s setting is pretty unique as shooters go, with the money-starved 1930s backdrop sure to complement the emotional punch of the narrative. Sure, the action sounds pretty bread-and-butter these days, but we reckon Faith and a .45 has more than enough merits to stand out amongst the crowd if it ever sees the light of day.

What cancelled games do you wish would end up with a new life on PS4? Let us know in the comments section below.

http://www.psu.com/a018765/4-cancelled-PS3-games-we-want-to-see-on-PS4-but-probably-never-will

Around the Network

@ NNodley ... yea I keep hearing GTA IV was a let down. I only got my PS3 recently so I'm still catching up with older games, and that's why I have not played it. I might skip it and go straight to V.

@ Pezus ... Oh no where. I was just telling Joe I had to go. I called him to help me post up to 1000 before the Nintendo club xD

Weedlab said:
@ NNodley ... yea I keep hearing GTA IV was a let down. I only got my PS3 recently so I'm still catching up with older games, and that's why I have not played it. I might skip it and go straight to V.

@ Pezus ... Oh no where. I was just telling Joe I had to go. I called him to help me post up to 1000 before the Nintendo club xD

I would say don't waste your money even if it's $20 on GTA IV.  But, that's up to you. 

nnodley said:
Weedlab said:

I would say don't waste your money even if it's $20 on GTA IV.  But, that's up to you. 

Yea I'm not getting it. There are around 15 - 20 older games I still have to get, and it's not there so that's pretty telling lol I'll just get V, but I'm unsure if I'll get that one the first day. I still have to get DmC, MGR, Ni No Kuni, Tomb Raider, Bioshock and Rayman for this year, so I'll probably wait for GTA V complete. Then there's stuff for the Vita and PS4.

Weedlab said:
nnodley said:
Weedlab said:

Yea I'm not getting it. There are around 15 - 20 older games I still have to get, and it's not there so that's pretty telling lol I'll just get V, but I'm unsure if I'll get that one the first day. I still have to get DmC, MGR, Ni No Kuni, Tomb Raider, Bioshock and Rayman for this year, so I'll probably wait for GTA V complete. Then there's stuff for the Vita and PS4.

I know same here.  I have at least a backlog of 8 games on top of TLOU, Beyond: Two Souls, Killzone: Mercenary, Soul Sacrifice(maybe), Pikmin 3(if it gets released this year).  I also want to get Bioshock: Infinite, Crysis 3, Metro: Last Light, and Witcher 2 for PC.  Then I'm getting PS4 day one with AC4, Killzone: SF, and Watch Dogs.  If infamous: second son ends up being a launch title I will get that too.  I'm gonna be broke as hell this year.

Oh and DmC and Tomb Raider are must buys, IMO.  I don't understand the hate for DmC. I loved it.  And Tomb Raider is just awesome.  Has a pretty good story too.

nnodley said:
Weedlab said:
nnodley said:
Weedlab said:

I know same here.  I have at least a backlog of 8 games on top of TLOU, Beyond: Two Souls, Killzone: Mercenary, Soul Sacrifice(maybe), Pikmin 3(if it gets released this year).  I also want to get Bioshock: Infinite, Crysis 3, Metro: Last Light, and Witcher 2 for PC.  Then I'm getting PS4 day one with AC4, Killzone: SF, and Watch Dogs.  If infamous: second son ends up being a launch title I will get that too.  I'm gonna be broke as hell this year.

Oh and DmC and Tomb Raider are must buys, IMO.  I don't understand the hate for DmC. I loved it.  And Tomb Raider is just awesome.  Has a pretty good story too.

Yea seems like everyone has a backlog now lol Yea PS4 is pretty much the same. KZ, inFAMOUS, Knack, DriveClub, Watch Dogs, ACIV and anything else that looks interesting. TLoU and Beyond are day one buys so I'm trying to play all I need to play now before I get them.

Dude I don't get these people. DmC is a decent game. Their bitching is only going to ruin everything for everyone, and Capcom might retire the series for who knows how long now. It is REALLY bombing. :/ TR I'll get when I'm home from school in 2 weeks.

Wii U I'll wait a bit for. Either a price cut or Smash/Zelda will get me to buy. So far I see no reason to get one yet, but I intend to get Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2 and Zelda WW. If I get another 3 reasons before Smash/Zelda HD I'll pick one up. 3DS I intend to get for Pokemon X/Y.