By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 "FROM DEVELOPERS TO DEVELOPERS"...

where is the gamer inside that phrase?

everything on the conference was about developers, that by the way only devs behind big publishers are satisfied with what they saw.
how much will cost to a small developer to develop for that nice machine.

ok, you will say: there will be more games because big publishers will give enough money to their devs. More of the same games that we have right now, because there are no middle developers (that usually risk themselves towards new IP'S). Big publishers keep saying dev costs will remain the same, but at what cost? layoffs hitting everywhere.

it's a shame that SONY is not thinking about the gamers, meaning accessibility: reach a broader audience with a balance between price and raw power. They haven't learnt anything. PS3, and even the lower price XBOX360, did not sell well before the major price cut. It took them few years to turn profits.

how is that they have learn from their mistakes? i mean, i saw the specs and funtionality of the system, very nice; games look nice even though we are not sure if they are playable or not, except one or two of them.

But when i though about the price point, one or two things came to my mind:
1st. It's priced high because of the specs, but mostly because it needs to profit since day 1 for the 8-years struggling big company Sony.
2nd. It's priced relatively low (meaning no less that $400), but Sony will still be loosing money, drowning themselves more and more until the inevitable happens.

I don't see how can this be healthy for everyone, the gamer, the manufacturer and the developer. But again, I am not a business major, just Aerospace. But as an engineer, I have to design according to what the market, the manufacturer, the consumer and the-job-to-be-done need.

Comments please, because what I see are cloudy days ahead on the industry. And don't be selfish, because everybody needs to be satisfied at the same level. Yeap, i know that is not possible, but SONY is not even trying.

Around the Network

This post looks like a mess, no paragraphs and I fail to see what point you're trying to make, are you saying Sony should make small $1 games because its what the market wants?

Why stop there, PS4 should've been a smartphone with Android on it, everyone loves smartphone games! Angry Bird ftw!

Turkish said:
This post looks like a mess, no paragraphs and I fail to see what point you're trying to make, are you saying Sony should make small $1 games because its what the market wants?

Why stop there, PS4 should've been a smartphone with Android on it, everyone loves smartphone games! Angry Bird ftw!

you are right, sony is right

What are you talking about? They said they kept indie developers and small developers in mind when developing the PS4. That's why it's so simple to develop for. Simple equals lower developer costs. Why am I even bothering to explain, you didn't even bother to structure paragraphs.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

"only devs behind big publishers are satisfied"

Like Jonathon Blow? No, that doesn't make any sense. Smaller developers will be the most happy, as they will have a structure they are familiar with. As another smaller developer said, Stewart Gilray with Just Add Water, "We had PS3 Stranger's Wrath running in four weeks from starting it. You could probably get it up and running in a couple weeks on PS4. Which is why the early dev kits for PS4 were basically suped-up PCs. So when you move forward, there's not a massive re-learning curve. It's not a million miles away." http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-22-ps4-pc-like-architecture-8gb-ram-delight-developers

And, seriously, high and low are the only two pricing options? There is nothing between? And what is this I keep reading about "higher spec" meaning a sharp increase in developer costs? That's not necessarily true, especially for smaller games that aren't trying to push the envelope. If development is faster, costs might even go down.

Did you even think your post through?

Around the Network

First off, you might want to edit your post to include some paragraphs. Paragraphs are your friends.

For whatever reason, Sony decided to position itself on the high-end part of the console market. I personally don't see how this can't damage them...

For the industry itself, i expect it to schrink this generation. Maybe 20-30%. The economy is just too low and the console prices too high.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

You post is a little messy, but for the most part I agree with you. Sony used to dominate with the PS1/PS2, but ever since the PSP, Sony has had the mindset that the most powerful console will win. Just look at the PSP, PS3, and Vita. All the most powerful console compared to their competitors, and Sony lost money on all of them. I had hopes that Sony would return to their old ways due to their recent financial struggles, and would make a console like the PS1/PS2, but I guess I was wrong.

I disagree that smaller developers would have a problem with how powerful the PS4 is, but it could make it harder for their games to stand out compared to indie titles with higher budgets, like Journey.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

where is the gamer inside SONY's thoughs? u are still talking about developers.

Yes, i am not the best writter, hell i am not even a english native speaker, but i did not think i have to writte a well structured essay to just say something. But it's ok next time I will try to do a better job.

OMG

LOL somebody REALLY turned this into a negative?

people just find anything they can to try to act like they're mad at Sony LOL

Edit: Sony showed games for the gamers

the developers are the individuals who make games FOR THE GAMERS

how was it even possible to turn this into a negative?

You have a point, but not enough information about consumer interest of the console was given( though what we got was good so far). SONY's conference was very developer focused to the point of nausea. VITA was also a console built for developers, specifically the west. Where are they now?. When price, Region locked ideas, anti piracy/used games view, accessory prices, accounts ext, is announced we will know who is at the front of interest in regards to PS4