By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RUMOR: Lightning Returns: FFXIII being delayed to not coincide with GTA V launch.

Is this a good decision?

Yes. Moving it away from ... 29 56.86%

No. Moving it back will m... 22 43.14%

Total:51

This rumor comes from 2ch.

It seems that Lightning Returns was supposed to launch worldwide in September 2013. However, due to GTA V being pushed back to September 2013, Yoichi Wada has decided to delay Lightning Returns: FFXIII to an unannounced date. The game is still expected to launch in Q3 2013, but it may now be looking at an October or even November release date.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Or January 2014 like FFXIII-2 was released on January 2012 (at least in the west).

So if PS4/720 launch in Q4 2013, then Lightning Returns: FFXIII will launch after next gen has started? Good grief. Man, SQEX have made some really bad decisions this gen. Let's not even bring up the vaporware FF Versus XIII.

It doesn't matter when they release this, sales will still be awful :/

TeddostheFireKing said:
It doesn't matter when they release this, sales will still be awful :/

Well, it would still be good to get it out before all the next gen hype kicks in. If they delay it, it will get lost under all the 720 hype. I really doubt this game will sell over 2 million worldwide at this point, even if it gets a high score on Metacritic.

They shouldn't release that hunk of crap game at all, its very existence makes my blood boil.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Galvanizer said:
BasilZero said:
Or January 2014 like FFXIII-2 was released on January 2012 (at least in the west).

So if PS4/720 launch in Q4 2013, then Lightning Returns: FFXIII will launch after next gen has started? Good grief. Man, SQEX have made some really bad decisions this gen. Let's not even bring up the vaporware FF Versus XIII.

You do realize when FFXII came out right? I wouldnt be surprised if it did come out after the next Playstation/Xbox systems come out.

Either way, I'm still planning to get the game but only once it goes into the bargin bin like I did with FFXIII ($14.99) and FFXIII-2 ($19.99).

FFXII came out in March 2006 which is only a few months after the 360 (which is irrelevant in Japan) and almost a year before the PS3. Lightning Returns: FFXIII looks to be coming out very close to both 720 and PS4.

BasilZero said:
Galvanizer said:
BasilZero said:
Galvanizer said:
BasilZero said:

You do realize when FFXII came out right? I wouldnt be surprised if it did come out after the next Playstation/Xbox systems come out.

Either way, I'm still planning to get the game but only once it goes into the bargin bin like I did with FFXIII ($14.99) and FFXIII-2 ($19.99).

FFXII came out after the 360 (which is irrelevant in Japan) and months before the PS3. Lightning Returns looks to be coming out very close to 720 and PS4.

Well I'm talking about worldwide, not just Japan - not sure why people consider "Only Japan" to be the more relevant than NA and EU/AU o.o.

Anyways I wouldnt be surprised if it does come out after the next playstation/xbox especially considering their track record this generation.

Probably too busy working on porting over FFV and FFVI on iOS/android ;p.

I also believe that FF Versus XIII will release on PS3 after both PS4/720 are out. there's also FFX HD and KH3 that are still being planned for PS3, too.

I have no doubt in my mind this game is being rushed out for a unrealistic fall 2013 release date. They should just launch it early 2014. It sales will not be effected by the arrival of next gen. The people who are still interested in FFXIII are gonna miss it just because new shiny consoles are out and the vast majority of us won't have one at such an early point.

Also they're only hope of selling more then 2m across both platforms is for the game to actually be good. I say they're better of spending another 5months on it and launching feb 2014.

Equally, GTA will have no effect on Lightning returns. Square must be deluding themselves into thinking the game is going to be the huge release which the casuals will pay attention to. They won't!

Any continuation of XIII might aswell be considered niche at this point. Again only amazing reviews will change that.

early 2014 would be alright, next gen sales wont kill off last gen games immdiately