By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: EoW Trailer Shows Off Still World, Swordfighter Form

Best Zelda news from the June Nintendo Direct?

The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom 6 75.00%

Four Swords on NSO 0 0%

Hyrule Edition Switch Lite 2 25.00%

Total:8
Asriel said:

A Link to the Future

Timeline/basic plot spoilers follow for A Link to the Past, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Link's Awakening, the Hyrule Historia timeline. Also contains fanboy ravings based on a 59 second trailer.

So, it's set in the same world as A Link to the Past. Where does this put the game?

Assuming Nintendo are sticking the timeline established in Hyrule Historia, then this game takes place in the timeline following Link's failure to defeat Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time: The Decline of Hyrule and the Last Hero.

Specifically, the following events take place during The Era of Light and Dark, spread across A Link to the Past, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, and Link's Awakening.

Following Ganon's triumph in Ocarina, the Imprisoning War takes place, before Ganon is revived for the events of A Link to the Past. Following Ganon's defeat, Link leaves Hyrule and the events of the Oracle games follow; another attempted revival of Ganon by Twinrova is foiled by Link. This same Link then ends up on Koholint Island in the dream of the Windfish, (Link's Awakening) and Link the Hero awakens the Windfish--bringing about the end of Koholint Island. Hyrule Historia states that Link the Hero sets sail on another voyage, his whereabouts unknown.

Will this new Zelda game answer that question? Will the iconic Link the Hero return to Hyrule and find that Ganon has once again been revived? This is where things get a little muddled.

Following Link's Awakening and preceeding the NES Zelda games, The Golden Era happens, and no Zelda game has happened directly in this period, though the events--during which Hyrule prospers due to the use of the Triforce, then falters after the death of a great King and the sleeping curse placed on the Zelda of this era--form the basis of The Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link. The Legend of Zelda sees a desolate Hyrule haunted by Ganon once again, before Adventure of Link returns to the fate of the sleeping Princess Zelda of The Golden Era and an attempted resurrection of Ganon, six years after the Demon King's last defeat.

So there are, as usual, numerous possibilities. If Nintendo are attempting to fit their games within their fairly flexible timeline structure, A Link to the Past 2 will feature Link the Hero returning to Hyrule after the events of Link's Awakening. The aesthetic design of Link is the same, and notably, Link has returned to being left-handed for this title. So this is the Hyrule saved from the legacy of the Imprisoning War, but what could happen? Does Ganon return again before the beginning of The Golden Era? It's important to note that in this timeline, Ganon is only ever "surpressed"--opening the door for future appearance. It's also been six years--and three new adventures--since Ganon's last appearance. Finally, the other adventures of this hero, Link's Awakening and the Oracle games, will all be available on 3DS by the end of next month. A tenuous link by a raving fanboy, or a deliberate strategy from Eiji Aonuma, to prepare the ground for the return of this particular Link?

Secondly, perhaps this game takes place featuring a descendant of Link the Hero--aesthetically, Link the Hero is very similar to the different hero that features in both The Legend of Zelda and The Adventure of Link. The future of Hyrule after Adventure of Link is unknown. The numerous geographical differences between the Hyrule of the Era of Light and Dark, and the Era of Decline (in which the NES games take place) could be brushed over if Nintendo want to pick up this timeline, and Ganon or a new villain could just as easily feature. The fact the tentative title is Link to the Past 2 discourages me from this line of thought, but there's one issue to consider.

Nintendo primarily design their Zelda games on a gameplay-first basis. Hyrule Historia itself keeps the door open for the timeline to change--it is thus far, an attempt by chroniclers to make the disparate adventures of the various heroes, princesses and demonic kings fit together. Nintendo could, if they so choose, ignore the timeline completely. This could even become a fourth split from Ocarina of Time's time-travel knot, which has thus far spawned three timelines. The same "world" of A Link to the Past could be a Hyrule that exists at the same time as, but in a different timeline to, A Link to the Past itself. In that case, could we be adventuring in the Hyrule which is sank and becomes the Great Sea? Near impossible, but it also points out the simple case that this adventure could take place during a completely unexpected point in Zelda lore.

All that being said, I personally hope--and feel--that we're going to see the return of Link the Hero. It'd be the direct return of a hero associated with two fan favourite Zelda games--Link's Awakening and Link to the Past--and it would also be quite fitting to see a hero who has thus far graced three portable entries return for a fourth. One thing's for sure--more details can't come soon enough.

(Awaiting some more possible editing, I may include pictures)

Really interesting thoughts.... Some things points to this being a PREquel actually... Like, how aLttP has a tree stump in one place while this game clearly shows a whole tree standing in the same place....

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
Asriel said:

A Link to the Future

Timeline/basic plot spoilers follow for A Link to the Past, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Link's Awakening, the Hyrule Historia timeline. Also contains fanboy ravings based on a 59 second trailer.

Really interesting thoughts.... Some things points to this being a PREquel actually... Like, how aLttP has a tree stump in one place while this game clearly shows a whole tree standing in the same place....

That's quite a thought. Perhaps this hero is Link the Hero's uncle? That'd be interesting! Like I said, speculation is great fun--but ultimately the gameplay directs where the game fits and what is done with the game, rather than the story. Ultimately it will be great to discover the relationship between this and Link to the Past.

Asriel said:
DanneSandin said:
Asriel said:

A Link to the Future

That's quite a thought. Perhaps this hero is Link the Hero's uncle? That'd be interesting! Like I said, speculation is great fun--but ultimately the gameplay directs where the game fits and what is done with the game, rather than the story. Ultimately it will be great to discover the relationship between this and Link to the Past.

Maybe it's aLttP's Link's father? I've never played the original, so I don't know what happened to Link's parents in aLttP, but perhaps we'll get an explanation in this game?

Yeah, gameplay is king! I think the story in SS was pretty good, and I like the twist in TP, but it really is secondary.

DanneSandin said:
Asriel said:
DanneSandin said:

Maybe it's aLttP's Link's father? I've never played the original, so I don't know what happened to Link's parents in aLttP, but perhaps we'll get an explanation in this game?

Yeah, gameplay is king! I think the story in SS was pretty good, and I like the twist in TP, but it really is secondary.

It looks like it's going to be a sequel, not a prequel after all.

Bill Trinen said this:

"From a story perspective there are connections, so it does fall after A Link to the Past. And it's set in the same world, but introduces that new gameplay mechanic..."

Source: http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/zelda-3ds-comes-after-a-link-to-the-past-in-the-timeline

Speaking of Trinen, here's an interview where he talks about Zelda 3DS and Miyamoto's involvement. Jump tp the 3-minute mark.

Around the Network

And here's a video of someone playing the demo:

Veknoid_Outcast said:
DanneSandin said:
Asriel said:
DanneSandin said:

Bill Trinen said this:

"From a story perspective there are connections, so it does fall after A Link to the Past. And it's set in the same world, but introduces that new gameplay mechanic..."

Source: http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/zelda-3ds-comes-after-a-link-to-the-past-in-the-timeline

Hmmm, well, I don't think some inconsistencies would hurt (like how a tree that's actually cut down is still standing there)

I saw that interview yesterday, pretty good interview! I like sessler

Veknoid_Outcast said:
DanneSandin said:
Asriel said:
DanneSandin said:

Bill Trinen said this:

Ha-ha, I was right, perhaps!

After this, I have high hopes for Zelda U. Exciting times!

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Saw some cool 16-bit images superimposed over real-world locations over at Kotaku. Here are the Zelda ones:

The rest can be found here: http://kotaku.com/real-life-photos-mixed-with-16-bit-video-games-are-amaz-476024420