By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Did MS/Customer Reaction to PS3 Screw Up Sony's Schedule?

FishyJoe said:
The billions of dollars they spent on the PS3 could have easily been spent on low cost blu-ray players and content which would have probably won the war faster and cheaper.
Maybe, but there are several valid reasons why Sony would want to use the PS3 as a Blu-ray vehicle.  Not least of these is creating a manufacturing demand that helps lower the price per unit of the Blu-ray components.

And sure, Sony could have pumped out Blu-ray players at a loss instead of PS3s, but channel stuffing only gets you so far before the players are falling off the shelves and your product is a joke.  HD demand is still low enough that having every PS3 double as a Blu-ray player is a genuinely huge asset.  The Trojan Horse strategy is working.

And the DVD size limit may well become restrictive for some games, and the PS3 will benefit if that happens.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Griffin said:
I think the fact that MS had the 360 out in 2005 and the fact that Toshiba tossed HD-DVD on the market so fast was a major reason why the PS3 came out so early. If MS would of waited until the PS3 was out to drop the 360 then the xbox would be dead this gen.

This is true, well done!

Sony had no choice in when they were gonna release the PS3... They would have released it even earlier than they did had there not been manufacturing problems (everyone remember that? :P).

Toshiba had released HD-DVD, so Sony had no choice but to release Blu Ray early, and their main weapon against it, the PS3. This is the reason why Blu Ray is inferior (im sorry, but it just plain is atm... Cant get picture in picture like you can in HD DVD, as well as much more...), it was released waaay too early. This is why all Bluray players (bar the PS3) wont be able to play all the content on new Blurays which are released after this year, because its an unfinished technology!

There was also the 360, it came out early too. If Sony had any chance of combating the 360 (and HD-DVD), it would have to release its console ASAP, which is what happened. This (in my mind) is they the PS3 can be seen as an "unfinished console", as blu-ray is an unfinished technology... Both were rushed, both had to make sacrifices..

HappySqurriel said:

There is no way to know, but I personally suspect ...

Sony really did not intend to release the PS3 in 2006 the (unexpected) release of the XBox 360 in 2005 forced Sony to accelerate their release schedule; I suspect that when the XBox 360 was first rumored to be released mid 2005 Sony became worried that 18 to 24 months on the market with no (direct) competition could give Microsoft the opportunity to eat away a big chunk of Sony's marketshare.

If it was released for Q4 of 2007, the PS3 would have been more powerful and less expensive due to the 65nm process, Blu-Ray diodes would be less expensive and more people would be looking for a Blu-Ray player, and HDTV adoption would be higher.

This! ^

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

I agree with what you're saying. I've long thought that Sony had planned on software emulated PS2 BC from the getgo. I mean, they already have it half emulated via the 80gb. The only issue is the GS.

It`s all M$ fault!
M$ is evil! =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
tk1989 said:
Griffin said:
I think the fact that MS had the 360 out in 2005 and the fact that Toshiba tossed HD-DVD on the market so fast was a major reason why the PS3 came out so early. If MS would of waited until the PS3 was out to drop the 360 then the xbox would be dead this gen.

This is true, well done!

Sony had no choice in when they were gonna release the PS3... They would have released it even earlier than they did had there not been manufacturing problems (everyone remember that? :P).

Toshiba had released HD-DVD, so Sony had no choice but to release Blu Ray early, and their main weapon against it, the PS3. This is the reason why Blu Ray is inferior (im sorry, but it just plain is atm... Cant get picture in picture like you can in HD DVD, as well as much more...), it was released waaay too early. This is why all Bluray players (bar the PS3) wont be able to play all the content on new Blurays which are released after this year, because its an unfinished technology!

There was also the 360, it came out early too. If Sony had any chance of combating the 360 (and HD-DVD), it would have to release its console ASAP, which is what happened. This (in my mind) is they the PS3 can be seen as an "unfinished console", as blu-ray is an unfinished technology... Both were rushed, both had to make sacrifices..

The only reason MS launched so early was becuase they believed that Sony was going to launch the ps3 in Spring of '06 to combat HD DVD.  Because of this they rushed the launch to Holiday '05, which is what led to things like supply shortages, the RRoD, and other problems.

If they knew that Sony was going to release the ps3 later in the year, they probably would've waited until Spring of '06 to launch the 360, and they probably would've included an HD DVD drive in the console.  The only reason they didn't was because HD DVD wasn't going to be ready fast enough (April '06 at the earliest), and they couldn't afford to wait that long with a looming Spring '06 launch for the ps3.

makingmusic476 said:
tk1989 said:
Griffin said:

This is true, well done!

The only reason MS launched so early was becuase they believed that Sony was going to launch the ps3 in Spring of '06 to combat HD DVD. Because of this they rushed the launch to Holiday '05, which is what led to things like supply shortages, the RRoD, and other problems.

If they knew that Sony was going to release the ps3 later in the year, they probably would've waited until Spring of '06 to launch the 360, and they probably would've included an HD DVD drive in the console. The only reason they didn't was because HD DVD wasn't going to be ready fast enough (April '06 at the earliest), and they couldn't afford to wait that long with a looming Spring '06 launch for the ps3.

Well said, tk1989. That makes a great deal of sense.

And makingmusic476, it that's true, that means that Sony actually shot themselves in the foot with their stupid marketing hype much earlier (and much worse) than we all thought! On the other hand, the shotgun blast also hit MS (RROD) ...

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
makingmusic476 said:
tk1989 said:
Griffin said:

This is true, well done!

The only reason MS launched so early was becuase they believed that Sony was going to launch the ps3 in Spring of '06 to combat HD DVD. Because of this they rushed the launch to Holiday '05, which is what led to things like supply shortages, the RRoD, and other problems.

If they knew that Sony was going to release the ps3 later in the year, they probably would've waited until Spring of '06 to launch the 360, and they probably would've included an HD DVD drive in the console. The only reason they didn't was because HD DVD wasn't going to be ready fast enough (April '06 at the earliest), and they couldn't afford to wait that long with a looming Spring '06 launch for the ps3.

Well said, tk1989. That makes a great deal of sense.

And makingmusic476, it that's true, that means that Sony actually shot themselves in the foot with their stupid marketing hype much earlier (and much worse) than we all thought! On the other hand, the shotgun blast also hit MS (RROD) ...

I agree with you there.  MS got real lucky with their year long head start.  The RRoD has been taking it's toll on things, but in the end, the year long head start was easily worth it.  A 6-7 month head start wouldn't have been near as advantageous given the hardware problems.