By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - HD movies available for download!

$5 to watch a movie sounds like a great deal to me (I think its also cheaper on AppleTV - gets down to $2-$3 depending on the movie?).

We have a nice TV - nice enough. And good sound. Four of us went to the movies last week, and it cost $60 AU(!). Yes, normal tickets are $15.

BluRay/HD-DVD movies are $40.

A new release rented movie is $7 (video stores) - for one night.

All sounds awesome to me - we'll be using it for sure. Cheap movies, served at home - and the food is better (and cheaper!) than the cinema as well ;)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
shams said:
$5 to watch a movie sounds like a great deal to me (I think its also cheaper on AppleTV - gets down to $2-$3 depending on the movie?).

We have a nice TV - nice enough. And good sound. Four of us went to the movies last week, and it cost $60 AU(!). Yes, normal tickets are $15.

BluRay/HD-DVD movies are $40.

A new release rented movie is $7 (video stores) - for one night.

All sounds awesome to me - we'll be using it for sure. Cheap movies, served at home - and the food is better (and cheaper!) than the cinema as well ;)

$11 a Ticket here in the US with a Chipotle built into the building (mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm), my friends and I usually make an event out of it lol. And for me a movie theater (esp now that some use DLP technology) is just such an amazing experience to see box office flicks :P But man 15 bucks a ticket xD rediculous!

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

I'd be all over this, but one whole day to watch it sucks. Why can't it be longer.

DMeisterJ said:

@ gnizmo 

Truth or sarcasm? about 1 day download.

Truth, and it is optimistic at that. I don't know the exact size so I can't try to calculate it in my head, but based on Rockets numbers it might take twice that.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:
DMeisterJ said:

@ gnizmo

Truth, and it is optimistic at that. I don't know the exact size so I can't try to calculate it in my head, but based on Rockets numbers it might take twice that.

One thing to point out is that it's entirely possible that XBL is capping me out at 1mbps or something like that. There is no way to tell how much of my connection speed the service is using.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
ChronotriggerJM said:
Saiyar said:
ChronotriggerJM said:
I still haven't been told if the "high def" movies on XBL are 720 or 1080p ;-;

720p at 4 mbs

Do they come in 1080? or is that what they offer? Still cool either way :P I just happen to like optical media :x

If it takes him about an hour to buffer a 720p video @18mps, I don't think streaming 1080p movies is going to be possible for quite some time :(

XBL only has 720p/4mbs videos at the moment. BD are 1080p/35mbs so in order to stream a full quality 1080 movie without waiting you would have to have a consistent download speed of over 35mbs.

I have no idea what Selnor is talking about with regards to waiting. If he was getting a consistent download speed of 18 mbs he would he been able to stream it from the start. In fact the entire movie would only take about 6 minutes to download.

Seriously, I don't know about numbers and technical stuff but, 1 day to download a movie? that sounds like a lot to me.

About the quality, it's true, downloads are not as good as a Blu-Ray, 5/6 gigs of video are not the same as 30 gigs, but we also know that the mp3 is worst than the CD and the CD is way worse than the good old vinyl; but that doesn't mean that the consumers didn't change of format for the cheapest and more comfortable one just because the quality wasn't as good.

I do believe that like letters on paper, printed photos and music, movies will be distributed digitally.

Just my opinion.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/YUK04.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0"

what is file size... and file type... that will tell you how HD it is.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

rocketpig said:
Gnizmo said:
DMeisterJ said:

@ gnizmo

One thing to point out is that it's entirely possible that XBL is capping me out at 1mbps or something like that. There is no way to tell how much of my connection speed the service is using.

Well, I'm not sure about if there's a cap or anything, but I usually download stuff hella fast from XBL. I'm on a 100mbit fiber optical connection (about $30-$35 a month :) ) A demo never usually takes more than a few minutes or so. 

I'd probably try downloading some of this stuff, but unfortunately the XBL JP site is pretty bare when it comes to non-game related content. Pretty much 0 movie/tv/music content :( Even if I use my US created account it just tells me that the content(movies/tv shows) is region restricted and I can't get it. :(

Movie theater tickets are also insanely expensive here (and the theaters are much smaller IMO compared to the US). Usually about 1800 yen normally, though sometimes they have special days where you can get a ticket for 1000 yen... 

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"