By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to discontinue 80 GB ps3 according to Best Buy?

I could see them going down to a single sku with the ability to buy new HDD's for expansion etc, but completely dropping BC I don't see. If the 80g is phased out, then the 40g will receive a firmware update with software only BC.

Around the Network

Has anyone stopped to think that maybe they aren't dropping anything? Maybe they are just making way for a new sku with the exact same price and PS3 but with the new controllers and perhaps a different pack in game?

Best Buy has removed the 80 GB sku from their online store already...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....s&nrp=15&iht=n

@ FishyJoe...I agree. I think they are most likely going to release another sku with Dual Shock 3 & a different game.

Or hopefully with a larger hard drive and a few other upgrades...especially with the talk of turning it into a tivo type media center....80 GB isn't worthwhile---you need at least 200 GB.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

If they add BC to the 40gig. It will remove a lot (not all) of confusion around the sku's. So it really comes down to... how big is the hard drive.

I think Sony will come up with a new bundle. The 40G PS3 bundled with a PS2. The ultimate in BC.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Around the Network
Renar said:
I think Sony will come up with a new bundle. The 40G PS3 bundled with a PS2. The ultimate in BC.
Wouldn't it be better for people to just have the originally released 60gb ps3 then? That would be the ultimate in BC, since it actually has the ps2 stuff built into the ps3. I know if I ever wanted to get a ps3 I'd look for one of the original 60gb units, even if it was used.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

OH COME ON!

Pick a ****ing console and stick with it already!

misterd said:

OH COME ON!

Pick a ****ing console and stick with it already!

I agree.  There was only one Xbox, one Gamecube, and one PS2.  Why have MS and Sony gone so SKU-happy?  I don't like the idea of segmenting your userbase like that.

I'm curious to see if backwards compatibility will be included when they replace this SKU (if this is true).