By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to discontinue 80 GB ps3 according to Best Buy?

Unless this is bs, it appears Sony is brewing up something. The 80GB ps3 is going to be discontinued according to this. I just can't imagine this being true though...no backwards compatability on any ps3? No way, unless they have plans to include it in the 40 GB or introduce another new sku. This is from ps3fanboy.com

IF true, I believe they will introduce a new 100-120GB sku with backwards compatability for approx...$449 and drop the 40GB to $299.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/01/24/...uing-80gb-ps3/

"

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Around the Network

here comes teh 100gg sku with bc and 599 price tag

Makes sense to me because in EU and Japan they are also selling only one sku.

Maybe they have the BC established :P Theres no way in hell Sony would cut PS2 software out of the loop. So somethings up, if this is true, expect BC or another SKU, maybe a slimmed down PS3.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

if this is true I think I decoded out sony's strategy, lets introduce new sku with fewer BC every couple months and create more sales spike. people will rush out to get it before its gone.

Around the Network

Losing BC is gonna hurt but if they did really recently hire some software guys specifically to work towards enabling it then this could be alright in the long run.

More info on the $299?

An 100 gig $400 one without MS and with b/c (limited)?

An 40 Gig one for $300 w/out b/c (Price drop true?)

I don't know.

Is this the infamous January 28th date that was supposed to see the 40Gb reduced to $299...Mmmmmm!!!

I now have the feeling that Sony will be removing BC altogether. And the 40Gb model will be the only model on the market.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

b/c really doesn't matter, as recent sales have only spiked since the forty gig came out.

ChronotriggerJM said:
Maybe they have the BC established :P Theres no way in hell Sony would cut PS2 software out of the loop. So somethings up, if this is true, expect BC or another SKU, maybe a slimmed down PS3.

Didn't they already cut it out of the loop in every country not the US?

If true i'll have to hit up the used market for a PS3 or wait for a software solution.