By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who has a HD Console but no HDTV?

To answer the actual topic question, I personally don't own a PS3 or 360 yet, but of the 4 people I know who own 360s, only 1 of them has an HDTV.

Around the Network

It doesn't look that bad on a good SDTV, but I do plan on upgrading in the near future.

I have X360 but i play it on 22" standard tv. I have planned to buy HDTV next summer.

If you do get a HDTV know that HDMI cable looks better (cleaner) than even component. Just make sure you buy your HDMI cable online as you pay too much for it in stores.

kitler53 said:
davygee said:
This is certainly an eye opener! I can't believe that people can own 360's and PS3's and use them through a SDTV.

The games through the SDTV must look like the scaled up pixelated videos on Youtube when you are playing games.

You really need to upgrade to HDTV. It doesn't need to cost the earth. You can pick up 20"-32" LCD's pretty cheap these days. You really don't know what you are missing until you see it.

I currently play my PS3 through my 40" 1080p Sony Bravia.

360 and wii on a standard definition tv.

...and a 20-32" HDTV is pointless. at a normal viewing distance your eyes can't physically make out the higher resolutions. http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/ To get the "full" benifit I would have to buy a tv at least 40" and that cost a lot of money. A lot of money I don't need to spend cause A) my standard tv is working quite well and i'm not throwing it away for no reason and B) i've seen side by side comparisons and the improvement is marginal at a best. HDTV is better but not worth the current cost of entry for me.

It all depends on what you are watching your 360 on...if you are playing a game on a 32" SDTV, then you will seriously notice the difference from playing the same game on a 32" HDTV.

There is also no need to go the full upgrade.  You can start off small and then upgrade to a bigger full HD later and move the smaller screen to another room.

A 32" LCD is certainly good enough to make the games on a 360 or PS3 look much better.  And you can pick up a 32" LCD for around $500 in the US and around £350 in the UK.

HDTV not being worth the current cost of entry is all relative to what you believe is a decent cost.  When we bought our first TV for our house some 7 years ago, we paid £700 to get a 28" prologic widescreen Philips SDTV.  We managed to pick up our 1080p Sony 40" Bravia for £500 ony 4 months ago and it's certainly worth the money 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network

360 no HDTV.

I know it should be played High Def but I really dont see the reason to upgrade as yet.

It would only be for games I simply dont watch movies.

My SD TV is only 3 years old and I will upgrade when it goes to the great CRT in the sky.

I bought my 360 and was still using a 32" standard def Sharp. I bought VGA cables to play on my 22inch LG computer monitor and was amazed at just the difference in that.

About a month later I bought a 42" 1080p AQUOS. Ever since I don't think I could go back to watching tv or playing games on an SDTV.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection

I bought my HD-TV when the PS3 came out and made sure to buy a 1080p so that it would be perfect for it ( I got one of the first 42inch 1080p Sony and got a sweet deal for it at the time).

And only bought the PS3 one year after the TV( TV in November 2006, PS3 in November 2007) ( I was waiting for a bigger game catalog to be out).

Funny thing is I don't have HD-TV cable ( just regular cable subscription) so for one year I had a HD-TV and wasn't really taking any advantage of it.

I however bought my first blue-ray movie 3 weeks ago ( Kingdom of Heaven Director's cut) and my wife who knows next to nothing about HD-TV was really impressed by the picture quality compared to standard DVDs.

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

if you dont have 1080p you dont have a HDtv.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

weezy said:
if you dont have 1080p you dont have a HDtv.

Um, okay. I could go into a rant about current games not running in anything over 720p natively or how a properly deinterlaced 1080i image is just as good as 1080p for movies/television, but I have the feeling I would be wasting my breath.

The consumer confusion behind 1080p and HDTVs in general is amazing.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/