By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Nintendo working on cartridge for 3DS to allow Wii U control

Rumor: Nintendo working on cartridge for 3DS to allow Wii U control

Could a new way to control your Wii U be in the works?

A new rumor on a French Nintendo fansite has popped up stating that Nintendo is working on a new cartridge prototype that will allow streaming between the Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS. This cartridge will allow the Nintendo 3DS to function as a second Wii U gamepad when paired with the Circle Pad Pro, which is a 3DS accessory that gives an extra analog stick.

This news is especially promising considering just two years ago, Siliconera unearthed a new patent for Nintendo DS cartridge design that has not been previously utilized. You can see in the image below that the cartridge clearly sticks out of the Nintendo DS, so it might include some sort of receiver to pair the Nintendo 3DS with the Wii U if this rumor turns out to be true. Keep in mind that this is purely speculation at this point and no confirmation has been given from Nintendo as to the validity of this rumor. Still, it’s a nice way to integrate two systems. What do our readers think?

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/01/rumor-nintendo-working-on-catridge-to-allow-3ds-to-act-as-second-wii-u-gamepad/

Around the Network

It wont really work unless they release a redesign with 2 analog sticks or as it says it will require the CPP, wich isnt very practical.

4 screens for what? Probably fake...

or not.

Click HERE and be happy 

Doesn't make sense. Doesn't the Wii U controller spectrum run on WiFi? Wouldn't 3DS be able to do this as-is, with just a bit of downloaded software?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Doesn't make sense. Doesn't the Wii U controller spectrum run on WiFi? Wouldn't 3DS be able to do this as-is, with just a bit of downloaded software?

The wiiU does not use traditional wireless (IEEE802.11) standards. It is a tech that they made with broadcom.hence, they need some kind of new wireless module to connect to the 3ds.

If you are interested in tech etc. it is a realy interesting iwata asks that is about this.
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/gamepad/0/0

on the OT:

It feels like it would be more of a hassle than it is worth.. i'd rather just buy another gamepad then use my 3ds for it (even if i have one)

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

Around the Network
Nem said:

It wont really work unless they release a redesign with 2 analog sticks or as it says it will require the CPP, wich isnt very practical.

depends on their goal.  i doubt this is being worked on so the 3DS can be a "alternative" gamepad.    more likely this is for things like that promised SSB wiiU/3DS interaction and other such projects specificially designed for 3DS control not gamepad control.

No, thanks. Not that I think this is actually going to happen.

Like Bajablo said, I'd rather buy another gamepad.

kitler53 said:
Nem said:

depends on their goal.  i doubt this is being worked on so the 3DS can be a "alternative" gamepad.    more likely this is for things like that promised SSB wiiU/3DS interaction and other such projects specificially designed for 3DS control not gamepad control.

In that case, it doesn't need to use the same special tech as the Upad. It could just use regular wifi to transmit information back and forth, then the 3DS could render the game on its own.

miz1q2w3e said:
kitler53 said:
Nem said:

In that case, it doesn't need to use the same special tech as the Upad. It could just use regular wifi to transmit information back and forth, then the 3DS could render the game on its own.

i won't pretend to know enough to argue or agree.  :)

kitler53 said:
miz1q2w3e said:

i won't pretend to know enough to argue or agree.  :)

Admirable, at least :p