By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Nintendo will have to do something about the overscanning problems very soon.

Ever since it launched, a lot of people have noticed parts of the left and right of the screen missing. We all know this is a Tv problem but Nintendo should of stayed in that "safe zone" because on chrismast, a lot of kids will be opening their wiiU and they will be seeing a missing part of the picture on their screen and they will simply put the wii u back in it's box and just return it. I wouldn't be surprised if there has already been thousands of returns because of this.

It is definetly possible to fix it by an update allowing you to adjust your screen size, but how long will it take them to release it?

PS: I am not having this problem, I do know a lot of people irl and online who are having this problem.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Around the Network

You would think they would release a patch for it.

Adjusting the WiiU screen is already part of the setup... I did it on day when it was released. Take a look in the settings.

"a lot of kids will be opening their wiiU and they will be seeing a missing part of the picture on their screen and they will simply put the wii u back in it's box and just return it."

Yeah, the kids will be all like, "Mom, return this piece of shit to the store! It can't even display the fucking screen correctly! It probably can't even display games in native 1080p!"

allenmaher said:
Adjusting the WiiU screen is already part of the setup... I did it on day when it was released. Take a look in the settings.

In settings I see

TV Connection Type

TV Resolution

Aspect Ratio

TV Audio-Ouput Type

There isn't an option to move the screen around.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
allenmaher said:

In settings I see

TV Connection Type

TV Resolution

Aspect Ratio

TV Audio-Ouput Type

There isn't an option to move the screen around.

You don't need to move the screen around.
Maybe in TV resolution you have an option to display 'dot by dot', or 'pixel to pixel' or 'native'

I have the opposite problem, certain apps and the whole Wii BC emulation have black borders all around. Not big enough to use the zoom function on the tv, just big enough to be annoying.
I have the choice of dot by dot, smart stretch, stretch and zoom. smart stretch and stretch only stretch horizontally and zoom is for 16:9 content in a 4:3 frame. The Wii emulation and some apps have 1/3rd the size of 16:9 borders all around.

You disable your overscan from your TV. Every modern TV has it. As for black boarders around games. Companies took advantage of overscan and left empty areas. Since you didn't see them. Those black edges are part of the image. Go play a NES game. It's resoution isn't 4:3 aspect ratio. Even GB games aren't 4:3.

I have an option called "fit screen" on my LG which solved the problem for me.

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Another thread from a person that has not the slightest knowledge about what he is writing ...

Hmm I've never heard of this problem and luckily Avnet experienced it (I generally have all sorts of problems getting picture position right on my TV, XBMC has been a nightmare to get set up perfectly).