By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DF Face-Off: Trine 2 on Wii U (Finnaly a Better Port)

Tagged games:

"Trine 2 - the Digital Foundry verdict

It's not often that we see a title come along that blends interesting and innovative gameplay with accomplished technology, but Trine 2 is as visually alluring as it is captivating to play. Frozenbyte has achieved a minor miracle here, with only the PS3 version falling a little short owing to a cheap FXAA implementation that blurs the beautiful imagery, impacting significantly upon the look of the lovingly realised artwork.

"A lovely game on all systems, Trine 2 is especially beautiful on PC at high settings, with the Wii U version the pick of the crop on console."

There are no such problems on the Wii U and 360, which both come with a sharper image that makes the most of the intricate artwork - and isn't overly blurred. Although the use of FXAA does still result in some smoothing over of fine detail, the soft focus look actually suits the game when the blur isn't dialled up to extreme levels. Naturally, these concerns are irrelevant on the PC where the use of super-sampling (in combination with FXAA) smoothes over any unwanted jaggies without tampering with the quality of the artwork. In 1080p with 4x SSAA with maximum settings engaged the game is simply gorgeous to look at, with the art design and technical choices working to create a magical visual experience - and there's NVIDIA 3D Vision support too, which looks beautiful.

The Wii U version also deserves credit, of course. The game not only features many of the graphical upgrades found on the PC, but does so while delivering better image quality than the 360 and PS3 without compromising on the solid frame-rate. The more washed-out image is a concern compared to the darker look of the other versions, but only for those with HDTVs that don't come with an option to select full or limited range RGB levels over HDMI (usually called HDMI black level), in which changing this setting to low (and lowering the brightness in the game's menu) solves the problem. However, the bottom line is that we shouldn't have to work so hard to get the best look from the game and we're a little surprised that Trine 2 shipped like this - we noted several complaints about the lighting on NeoGAF, but our contention is that the lighting model is absolutely fine, it's the gamma level that seems significantly skewed. It's a small blemish in what is a lovely-looking game, and hopefully it'll be patched up soon."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-trine-2-face-off

Around the Network

I didn't read the article yet but I give a look at the pictures... the game is better on Wii U but the limited RGB support is killing the colors.

Well that's it.

+ Better graphics
+ Same performance
+ Locked framerate
+ Exclusive Add-ons

- Bad collors (like others Wii U games)

good good

so what's up next? Aliens game?

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
good good

Yes, Aliens is the next non-exclusive major tittle for the system and that will be the ultimate test. The devs have said multiple times that the Wii U version will be the best looking one. The DF face-off will be interesting in that game.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
osed125 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
good good

Yes, Aliens is the next non-exclusive major tittle for the system and that will be the ultimate test. The devs have said multiple times that the Wii U version will be the best looking one. The DF face-off will be interesting in that game.

yeah that's what I thought as well. Have they done a DF for all the current games tho? I feel like it's missing at least one..AC? COD? 

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

It's a shame the game itself isn't worth playing.

M.U.G.E.N said:
osed125 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
good good

yeah that's what I thought as well. Have they done a DF for all the current games tho? I feel like it's missing at least one..AC? COD? 

They did CoD but I can't remember AC III so I think that's the only one left.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Does anybody have any idea if nintendo is working on patching in an option for full range RGB? (or if that is even possible?)

Who is John Galt?

3DS Friend Code : 2535-4338-9000 

AMD FX 8150 , 8 GB DDR3 Kingston Memory,  EVGA GTX 560 TI 2 GB superclocked, Samsung 256 GB SSD

The colors are going to get fixed, from the comments:

Joel from Frozenbyte here. Great to see this, very nice. Worth of note is that the game actually has a dynamic resolution scaling feature on PS3 and Xbox 360 to keep a steady 30 frames per second. This shows in some levels (e.g. the 11th level Icewarden Keep has a scene in the beginning where this is somewhat visible, if I remember right). On Wii U the resolution is 720p solid.

Just to be clear, we will indeed be updating the "washed out" look. The observation about gamma level is correct, as there was a bug in the game that applied excessive gamma to the final output. It went unnoticed until release but we have now fixed it. So the game will soon look even better (similar in colour to the other versions). We're estimating a mid-December release for the update, give or take a few days, and it will also include support for Wii U Pro Controller, Voice Chat, some languages, and some minor things.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback too, glad to hear you folks are enjoying the game.

-Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine 2: Director's Cut

Everything on the WiiU is in limited RGB, which is easily 'fixed' by adjusting brightness and contrast on the monitor.

Anyway I still haven't finished the game, got bored halfway through. Maybe it's more fun in co-op. Single player started getting repetitive really soon.