By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - I want to buy a new laptop!!! Help!

I need suggestions on what kind of laptop I should buy! I already have the idea one picked out, but its a little over my budget currently, so I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions that could save me maybe a hundred dollars or so, and maybe get me a little more performance for my buck! :P
(Also I live in Canada, so I need some online retailer that would ship here!!
CURRENT PC:
Sony Vaio F-Series
Processor:   Intel i7 Q740 1.73 GHz (Quad Core)
Memory:     6GB DDR3
Display:        1920x1080 16.4" LCD
Graphics:     Nvidia Geforce GT 330M (1GB Memory)
Optical Dr:   BR(Read)/DVD/CD
Hardrive:      600GB 5600rpm
I bought it for roughly $2000.00 about 2 and a half years ago in store (Overpaid by a nice bit)

What I'm looking at:
ASUS N56VZ-DH71
Processor:   Intel i7 3630QM 2.4GHz (Quad Core)
Memory:     8GB DDR3
Display:       1920x1080 15.6" LED
Graphics:     Nvidia Geforce GT 650M (2GB Memory)
Optical Dr:  BR(Read)/DVD/CD
Hardrive:     750GB 7200rpm (Plus external usb 3.0 ports)
Taxes and all it comes to about CDN $1350.00 which I'll admit isn't pad, at least in my thinking... From what i've seen the keyboard is also backlit, however it doesn't list it on this particular model, but the casing and keyboard seem identical to other models i've seen video reviews of...
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/asus-asus-15-6-3rd-gen-intel-core-i7-3630qm-windows-8-laptop-n56vz-dh71-english-black-silver-n56vz-dh71/10231961.aspx?path=577d8fac00310a6afafb18de3cf07479en02

So vgc, any better offers for a canadian laptop seeker? :P

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits
Around the Network

Why are you upgrading if budget is an issue? Your old computer looks just fine.

Galaki said:

For the most part it is, but its starting to show its age physically:
-Power adapter is so loose on pc that I ahve to tape my power cord on to the side in a certain position
-the built in speakers are more or less shot, turning them up louder than half way results in just a distorted mess.
-It completely crashed 2 months back for no apparant reason, and I lost all my data, and hasn't been the same since
-Is prone to over heating, and after taking it apart to remove large clumps of dust multiple times Im starting to think it may be time to move on
-Just the extra power I guess :P Just to be able to run some games on max specs that right now, that I have to run on low to prevent overheating on my current pc would be nice!

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits
__XBrawlX__ said:
Galaki said:

For the most part it is, but its starting to show its age physically:
-Power adapter is so loose on pc that I ahve to tape my power cord on to the side in a certain position
-the built in speakers are more or less shot, turning them up louder than half way results in just a distorted mess.
-It completely crashed 2 months back for no apparant reason, and I lost all my data, and hasn't been the same since
-Is prone to over heating, and after taking it apart to remove large clumps of dust multiple times Im starting to think it may be time to move on
-Just the extra power I guess :P Just to be able to run some games on max specs that right now, that I have to run on low to prevent overheating on my current pc would be nice!

My laptop (lenovo x60) from '06-'07 is still in great condition, aside from the keyboard surfaces that's been smoothed out from usage. Not even a broken button.

You either is abusive to your laptop or it's just a crappy built. My battery is long dead, though. It last about 5 minutes full charge, lol. And I had to buy a new power adapter, too, since that's the piece that died.

I'd say, read up on reviews regarding brands and builts, and see which ones are durable. Laptops are quite useful even it's old and you can just pass it down to kids that are learning and you don't want them to mess up perfectly new laptops.

Most brand have their business editions and they are built much much better than the ones you usually see at retail displays.

Easiest way to see how bad built is is to google "so and so problems" or "so and so broken". Most laptops have problems with the hinges since that's the mechanical part that is most used.

If you check Asus site, the model you posted is a "Multimedia" edition. Then check the "Business" model. You'll see one advertise how it's gone through various stress/durability test. That one is much more likely to last longer.

Price will also be higher :)

that pc your buying is hardly better than the one you already have.

Around the Network

seems like a decent laptop to me and will get the job done

but i am no expert in finding better deals,maybe you should stick to a budget if it is important though

Above & Beyond

Galaki said:

Yeah... i mean I just bought pretty much the exact same laptop two days ago to upgrade the hand me down i've been bringing in to my work.

How about Lenovo Ideapad Y580
15.6-Inch 1920 x 1080
Intel Core i7-3630QM(2.3GHz)
750GB 5400RPM 16GB SSD
8GB DDR3
Nvidia GT 660M (2G DDR3 VRAM)
Windows 8

If interested, check the details here
http://gaminglaptop1000.com/

You sure you're taking good care of your laptop, my toshiba from 07 still runs like a charm, only issue is a broken backspace key, battery dies within 10min though.

If you really want to upgrade go ahead, but those specs seem fine and perhaps you will adjust to your computers issues.