By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U has no ethernet port

runqvist said:

A moderately compressed bluray (1080p) can have a bandwith of 54mbps, 4k is roughly 6 times bigger resolution than 1080p. Stereoscopic 4k could be around 600mbps, right?

Nobody streams at Blu-ray bit rates.  It's absolutely pointless to do so.   The highest bit rate I've found from any stream provider is 10.5 mbps and that's for the highest quality 1920 x 1080 movies.

Nobody will be streaming 4k video feeds at Blu-ray bit rates.  Nobody.

mantlepiecek said:

Yeah, one can get a usb ethernet but that is kind of silly to not being included in the first place.

Yeah, one can buy a 3 TB external HDD for the Wii U but it's kind of silly to not being included in the first place.

TO ALL:
I'm not trying say it wouldn't have been a nice addition to have but the Mt Everest some of you guys are making out of this pebble in the road is ridiculous.   Even more so because of the lack of understanding of Wi-Fi technology on display in this thread that is being spouted out of ignorance is making the network administrator inside me face palm at every other post.

If you have a good router and a good ISP and the router isn't several rooms away from your gaming room, Wi-Fi will operate just fine.   You'll never notice the difference between it and a wired connection.

If you have a bad Wi-Fi connection, this could be your router, your ISP or the location of the router.  In that case, just buy the damn dongle.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
runqvist said:

A moderately compressed bluray (1080p) can have a bandwith of 54mbps, 4k is roughly 6 times bigger resolution than 1080p. Stereoscopic 4k could be around 600mbps, right?

Nobody streams at Blu-ray bit rates.  It's absolutely pointless to do so.   The highest bit rate I've found from any stream provider is 10.5 mbps and that's for the highest quality 1920 x 1080 movies.

Care to loan me your magic crystall ball? Technology goes forward, higher bandwiths will be available. We will see later next gen if there will be streaming with moderate compression.

Viper1 said:
mantlepiecek said:

Yeah, one can get a usb ethernet but that is kind of silly to not being included in the first place.

Yeah, one can buy a 3 TB external HDD for the Wii U but it's kind of silly to not being included in the first place.

That's the most ridiculous comparison ever. Congrats on missing the point completely.

Most people don't have or need 3 TB. Most people use ethernet, and if they don't it is the best possible solution for multiplayer gaming.

This whole "It is a small problem" is irrelevant. Most people who buy a Wii U probaly won't even play online. That doesn't make an ethernet port useless.

runqvist said:
Viper1 said:
runqvist said:

Care to loan me your magic crystall ball? Technology goes forward, higher bandwiths will be available. We will see later next gen if there will be streaming with moderate compression.

I don't need a crystal ball.  What I need are the trade journals I read that show everybody working on more compressions schemes.  Nobody wants to run uncompressed streams when you don't need to.  You throw away bandwidth for nothing.  

Do any music streaming services stream red book audio?  No, of course not.

mantlepiecek said:
Viper1 said:
mantlepiecek said:

That's the most ridiculous comparison ever. Congrats on missing the point completely.

Most people don't have or need 3 TB. Most people use ethernet, and if they don't it is the best possible solution for multiplayer gaming.

This whole "It is a small problem" is irrelevant. Most people who buy a Wii U probaly won't even play online. That doesn't make an ethernet port useless.

Please tell me where I said it was useless?  In fact, I specifically stated, "I'm not trying say it wouldn't have been a nice addition to have".

I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth.

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
runqvist said:
Viper1 said:
runqvist said:

I don't need a crystal ball.  What I need are the trade journals I read that show everybody working on more compressions schemes.  Nobody wants to run uncompressed streams when you don't need to.  You throw away bandwidth for nothing.  

Who said anything about uncompressed? The post you quoted said moderate compression, like in bluray disks.

runqvist said:
Viper1 said:

Who said anything about uncompressed? The post you quoted said moderate compression, like in bluray disks.

For streaming, that's considered uncompressed from the source material.  You used Blu-ray as the "source".  That high bit rate will never be streamed because it's a waste of bandwidth.   

The whole point of streaming anything is to provide the ability to as many people as possible to consume your content.  Using a data stream that only Finland can enjoy isn't economicaly fruitful.   But more to the point is that you don't have to use that bit rate to get a picture quality so close you can't even tell it's not the original source content.  

Content providers pay money for the bandwidth they utilize.   Why would you want to pay 5-10 times the money to provide content that won't gain you 5-10 times the revenue?

runqvist said:

You should be jealous of swedes, they have 1gb connections coming widely available. Will be a while before those speeds are widely available in Finland...

http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/bredband/hastighet/bredband1000/index.html

Well I am not very jealous, because of the price. I have a 100mbps connection free as in included in my maintenance fee and 1gb will cost 20€ extra. It will be cheaper than my 350mbps cable connection.

Well, I am, but I don't get why they need 1gb internet when they have this:

Now I'm curious runqvist... which screen do you use for your gaming?

Viper1 said:
runqvist said:
Viper1 said:

For streaming, that's considered uncompressed from the source material.  You used Blu-ray as the "source".  That high bit rate will never be streamed because it's a waste of bandwidth.   

The whole point of streaming anything is to provide the ability to as many people as possible to consume your content.  Using a data stream that only Finland can enjoy isn't economicaly fruitful.   But more to the point is that you don't have to use that bit rate to get a picture quality so close you can't even tell it's not the original source content.  

Content providers pay money for the bandwidth they utilize.   Why would you want to pay 5-10 times the money to provide content that won't gain you 5-10 times the revenue?

That is your opinion. If you can't see the difference, too bad.

Surely you are aware of those companies who stream mostly to scandinavian countries?  They might want to have an advantage against multinational companies like netflix, better streams could be just that. At least in Finland and Sweden we do have the infrastructure for those kind of bitrates.

Uh, duh. Do they pay? Herp derp.

Viper1 said:
mantlepiecek said:
Viper1 said:
mantlepiecek said:

Please tell me where I said it was useless?  In fact, I specifically stated, "I'm not trying say it wouldn't have been a nice addition to have".

Then why the comparison with a 3TB HDD?

No one's putting words in your mouth. You compare with something like that then you automatically contradict yourself.

Besides I said ethernet port is not useless just because not all the people who use a console use it. Whereas your post says the opposite by saying it is not such a big issue. When I never said it is a big issue anyway.