By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - iPad mini display quality falls short of Android rivals, according to tests

I was hoping DisplayMate would chime in on the Mini's screen. Interestingly, he graded the Mini overall slightly higher than the Nexus due to better colour calibration, even though the Nexus has a better gamut.

The bigger news to me is that Mini has the worst battery of the bunch, by quite a margin.

If it's available where you live and you can stand the software, looks like Kindle HD actually has more or less the best hardware.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

It looks like the same screen as the iPad two had, which now with the retina displays, and the nice hirez display on the Nexus 7 feels like a step back. For example, the text under the icons feels a bit like when you don't set the native resolution for your new LCD monitor - not sharp. The fact that it is so wide, does help usability. the vgchartz.com homepage fits nicely on it in portrait, while on the Nexus7 it's a bit crowded. But in this situation interestingly, you do notice the low resolution, since everything is smaller.
It's very thin, fells like a portable tablet should, sliding in and out of your bag or pocket like a tablet should (I imagine, never slid one anywhere). Needs hirez screen more than the iPad 2 does/did.

PS: not my personal tablets.

With the great displays Apple has, I'm surprised they gimped out on this one. Must of gotten in the way of 200% profit margins.

The Mini is underwhelming in almost every regard outside of form factor. I expect better from Apple.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

pezus said:
famousringo said:
I was hoping DisplayMate would chime in on the Mini's screen. Interestingly, he graded the Mini overall slightly higher than the Nexus due to better colour calibration, even though the Nexus has a better gamut.

The bigger news to me is that Mini has the worst battery of the bunch, by quite a margin.

If it's available where you live and you can stand the software, looks like Kindle HD actually has more or less the best hardware.

Except that it's absolutely crippled in countries where they don't have a marketplace (like here in Iceland). And yeah, the software of Nexus 7 imo makes it a far better choice for most things. Kindle HD is maybe better for book reading, I dunno.

Yeah, I was trying to include the availability of Amazon's markets and services when I used the word "availability."

Kindle Fire - 6 countries

Nexus 7 - 8 countries

iPad mini - 34 countries

And if you want to see where the content ecosystems are avilable:

http://www.macstories.net/stories/mapping-the-entertainment-ecosystems-of-apple-microsoft-google-amazon/

This is one of Apple's often-overlooked advantages. It leads in pretty much every category of content distribution except books.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

*hugs his ipad 2*

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile