By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do comical or serious ads work the best?

Which is better?

Serious 2 18.18%

Comical 9 81.82%

Total:11

Which type of ad works better; serious or comical?

Around the Network

So for example the American ad for PSASBR which is serious.

The PAL ad however is the complete opposite.

Which style works better? (not just for PSASBR)

Depends on the game. For a game like PSASBR/SSBB, a comical approach feels better suited.

For a game that's supposed to be epic/grand or something (FF,Zelda,Halo), serious is definitely the way to go.

I dislike both of these ads, but in general I think humor works better. I think it's easier to produce a couple laughs in a commercial than it is to produce something emotionally compelling in a few short seconds.

On another topic, why does it seem like every serious PS3 ad is trying to win a Clio instead of trying to win an audience?

In general?

Marketing research speaking.... For a while comedic adds worked better, however then EVERYBODY started doing them, as such... serious adds have gotten more effective as everybody is just used to joke adds by now.

In general the answer is, the adds that make your product stand out vs other adds... so long as said commercial doesn't make your product undesirable. (like the first PS3 creepy baby ads did.)

Of course... quality of ads matter.

Around the Network

That comical PSAs one reminds me of the first smash bros one and is miles better than the serious one. I say it depends on the game

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

I just watched the two ads you posted (ISP gives free BW after midnight)

wow, Comical >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Serious - That first one was painfully bad.

I tend to pay attention to comical ads,rather then straightforward ones.

Id go serious. Youll be taken seriously that way.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.