By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - US Senate candidate: Pregnancy from rape can be ‘something that God intended to happen’

Kasz216 said:
bluesinG said:
Kasz216 said:
bluesinG said:

Mitt Romney officially endorsed Richard Mourdock this past Sunday. Romney also recorded a TV ad for Mourdock, which started airing this Monday. It's the only TV ad that Romney has recorded for a senate candidate. Then yesterday, Mourdock says that if a woman becomes pregnant due to rape, it's "something God intended to happen." When asked about it this morning, Romney's campaign said that they still support Mourdock for senate, and they haven't asked Mourdock to stop airing the ad featuring Romney.

What a disgusting sequence of events.

You know... and they totally disavowed his position on that subject.  Though i'm sure that part just totally slipped your mind despite being by far a bigger headline then anything you mentioned.

The strongest language the Romney campaign has used is that they "disagree" with Mourdock, but "still support him". They haven't withdrawn their endorsement of Mourdock, or asked him to pull his campaign ad featuring Romney. Paul Ryan hasn't commented at all, which isn't particularly surprising since he opposes a woman's right to choose an abortion, even in cases of rape and incest.

As for what's the bigger headline, here are the top three headlines from Google News' Election section: "Mourdock Rape Comment Puts GOP on Defense", "Will Richard Mourdock's Rape Remarks Hurt Mitt Romney?", and "Will Richard Mourdock's Comments on God and Rape Sink the GOP?" There isn't a single headline on the front page about Romney disagreeing with Mourdock.

Bottom line: Is it too much to ask Romney to withraw his endorsement of Mourdock?

Bottom line:  Well yes.

I mean, how many people vote and support for Barack Obama despite the fact that he signed a bill that allows americans to be detained indefinitly without trial, orders drone strikes on people with very loose guidelines on what consistutites a terrorist and leads to hundreds of children being killed.

Saying one stupid thing about rape is pretty light in comparison to what other people are willing to overlook for picking "The lesser of two evils".

Kasz, you clearly value intellectual consistency, and believe that people *shouldn't* compromise their principles in order to support "the lesser of two evils". So, in your view, if Romney strongly disagrees with the position that God intends some rapes to result in pregnancy, don't you think that he *should* withdraw his support for Mourdock?

Edit: Here's the new top headline on Google: "Romney campaign stands by Mourdock".

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

I didn't say "shouldn't be allowed to," i said, "shouldn't." I'm not trying to repress freedom of speech, i'm trying to say that religious figures should avoid becoming invested in particular earthly political causes, for while it can have good benefits sometimes (like the southern churches that helped push Civil Rights in the '60s), ultimately it's distracting from the mission, because as the political class grows aware of religion's usefulness, they will work to twist it to their own ends (sometimes being objectively good ends, yes, but it works dangerously on the matter of faith)

It's hard to argue they shouldn't be involved in certain political causes when they view those political causes are vitally important to their spirtual causes.

I don't think it would be that hard for them to advocate certain causes in a non-partisan way. If their views happen to match the views of one party, so be it, but no endorsements, no consultation on legislation, etc.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

bluesinG said:
Kasz216 said:
bluesinG said:
Kasz216 said:
bluesinG said:

Mitt Romney officially endorsed Richard Mourdock this past Sunday. Romney also recorded a TV ad for Mourdock, which started airing this Monday. It's the only TV ad that Romney has recorded for a senate candidate. Then yesterday, Mourdock says that if a woman becomes pregnant due to rape, it's "something God intended to happen." When asked about it this morning, Romney's campaign said that they still support Mourdock for senate, and they haven't asked Mourdock to stop airing the ad featuring Romney.

You know... and they totally disavowed his position on that subject.  Though i'm sure that part just totally slipped your mind despite being by far a bigger headline then anything you mentioned.

The strongest language the Romney campaign has used is that they "disagree" with Mourdock, but "still support him". They haven't withdrawn their endorsement of Mourdock, or asked him to pull his campaign ad featuring Romney. Paul Ryan hasn't commented at all, which isn't particularly surprising since he opposes a woman's right to choose an abortion, even in cases of rape and incest.

As for what's the bigger headline, here are the top three headlines from Google News' Election section: "Mourdock Rape Comment Puts GOP on Defense", "Will Richard Mourdock's Rape Remarks Hurt Mitt Romney?", and "Will Richard Mourdock's Comments on God and Rape Sink the GOP?" There isn't a single headline on the front page about Romney disagreeing with Mourdock.

Bottom line: Is it too much to ask Romney to withraw his endorsement of Mourdock?

I mean, how many people vote and support for Barack Obama despite the fact that he signed a bill that allows americans to be detained indefinitly without trial, orders drone strikes on people with very loose guidelines on what consistutites a terrorist and leads to hundreds of children being killed.

Saying one stupid thing about rape is pretty light in comparison to what other people are willing to overlook for picking "The lesser of two evils".

Kasz, you clearly value intellectual consistency, and believe that people *shouldn't* compromise their principles in order to support "the lesser of two evils". So, in your view, if Romney strongly disagrees with the position that God intends some rapes to result in pregnancy, don't you think that he *should* withdraw his support for Mourdock?

Edit: Here's the new top headline on Google: "Romney campaign stands by Mourdock".

I don't actually have any problem with the "Lesser of two evils" move.  It's why I voted for Obama instead of McCain... since both of them wanted the bailouts, and their positions were nearly identical on basically everything, but Obama was slightly more socially liberal and his election would mean a lot to a small portion of the country.  Hell i'll probably vote Gary Johnson... and he's still a lesser of three evils at that point.  He still has a lot of flaws.

I just believe that after a certain point, the lesser of two evils statment kinda loses it's point after a while when the evil becomes to heinous.

To use a crude analaogy that i think would apply to anybody... if i lived in Nazi Germany and I could vote for Hitler, or Super Hitler who believed in everything hitler did but that the jews should be killed in a more painful way....

I still couldn't vote for Hitler.

As for if romney should remove his support?  I think that would largely depend on if he critisized someone else for standing by someone who committed a lesser offense.

Kasz216 said:
bluesinG said:
Kasz216 said:
bluesinG said:
Kasz216 said:
bluesinG said:

I don't actually have any problem with the "Lesser of two evils" move.  It's why I voted for Obama instead of McCain... since both of them wanted the bailouts, and their positions were nearly identical on basically everything, but Obama was slightly more socially liberal and his election would mean a lot to a small portion of the country.  Hell i'll probably vote Gary Johnson... and he's still a lesser of three evils at that point.  He still has a lot of flaws.

I just believe that after a certain point, the lesser of two evils statment kinda loses it's point after a while when the evil becomes to heinous.

To use a crude analaogy that i think would apply to anybody... if i lived in Nazi Germany and I could vote for Hitler, or Super Hitler who believed in everything hitler did but that the jews should be killed in a more painful way....

As for if romney should remove his support?  I think that would largely depend on if he critisized someone else for standing by someone who committed a lesser offense.

But Super Hitler is going to give everyone free ice cream

Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

I didn't say "shouldn't be allowed to," i said, "shouldn't." I'm not trying to repress freedom of speech, i'm trying to say that religious figures should avoid becoming invested in particular earthly political causes, for while it can have good benefits sometimes (like the southern churches that helped push Civil Rights in the '60s), ultimately it's distracting from the mission, because as the political class grows aware of religion's usefulness, they will work to twist it to their own ends (sometimes being objectively good ends, yes, but it works dangerously on the matter of faith)

It's hard to argue they shouldn't be involved in certain political causes when they view those political causes are vitally important to their spirtual causes.

I don't think it would be that hard for them to advocate certain causes in a non-partisan way. If their views happen to match the views of one party, so be it, but no endorsements, no consultation on legislation, etc.

They used to do this... and it never worked, and everybody knew who they supported anyway.

Besides we have freaking newspapers specifically endorsing candiadtes.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
bluesinG said:
Kasz216 said:
bluesinG said:
Kasz216 said:
bluesinG said:

About the validity of choosing between the "lesser of two evils": Fair enough.

But I disagree that Mourdock's view--that God intends for some women to become pregnant through rape--constitutes a small evil. He had clearly thought a lot about the issue before expressing his view, he's stood by his comments today, and if elected he would support legislation banning abortion even in the case of rape. What bigger evil is Joe Donnelly (Mourdock's opponent) guilty of, that Mourdock isn't also guilty of? I'm guessing that Mourdock supports drone strikes or indefinite detention.

bluesinG said:
Kasz216 said:
bluesinG said:

About the validity of choosing between the "lesser of two evils": Fair enough.

But I disagree that Mourdock's view--that God intends for some women to become pregnant through rape--constitutes a small evil. He had clearly thought a lot about the issue before expressing his view, he's stood by his comments today, and if elected he would support legislation banning abortion even in the case of rape. What bigger evil is Joe Donnelly (Mourdock's opponent) guilty of, that Mourdock isn't also guilty of? I'm guessing that Mourdock supports drone strikes or indefinite detention.

See.. what your conflating here now... is your (and my) view of evil, with Mitt Romney's and Mourdocks.

Sure based on what you or I know about the election... we'd vote donnelly however...

Mitt Romney doesn't see Drone strikes as evil, and i don't know his opinion on the NDAA.  So such things would be irrelevent on if he should remove his support.  The reference was just showing that to most democrats, even things that bad, that generally fly against most liberals (all?) beliefs aren't enough to shake support.

Mitt Romney, at the moment is at least positioning himself as Pro Life.  Whether this is actually the case or not i'm unsure based on his past history.

Assuming he is telling the truth though... generally the Pro Life position tends to be "A fetus = a baby."

So if I were to critisize Mitt Romney for anything.  It would be that he WASN'T supporting Mourdocks comments... and that if you see a fetus as a babies it's pretty henious to support legislation that allows the killing of some babies based on their heritage.   I don't see it that way, but as far as I can tell... his positions come to that conclusion.

well it wasnt a problem for God to rape Adam in his sleep to create Eve so whats the deal now.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Is it me, or has there been a trend in recent weeks with these type of statements coming from Republicans...

Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

They used to do this... and it never worked, and everybody knew who they supported anyway.

Besides we have freaking newspapers specifically endorsing candiadtes.

Which also shouldn't be done. Newspapers of all businesses should know they can't afford to piss off any customers.