By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How bad is the PSV really doing vs the PSP? (actual numbers within)

superchunk said:
small44 said:

GTA  sold more then 7 millions in psp while in ps3 gta sold 9 millions it's not a big differences the same for God of War in psp 3 millions and in ps3 4 millions.

This prove i was true.

GTA3 (PS2+XBOX... mostly PS2) 14m+ (2001)

Liberty City sold 7m+ (2005... before PS3 launched or GTA4 and living off of massive GTA3 hype)
Vice City sold 4m+ (2006... same as before but sold 1/2 the number)
Chinatown (psp) sold under 1m (2009 after GTA4)
Chinatown (DS) sold 1m+
Chinatown both sold 2m

GTA4 (PS3) sold 9m+ (2008)
GTA4 (360) sold 9m+
GTA4 both sold 18m+

Sorry, but sales prove you wrong. The only GTA games that sold decent sold 1/2 of their home console counter part and then proved to have a massive decline in sales for their sequels while home console sequels (GTA3 to GTA4) showed strong growth.

God of War 2 (PS2) sold 4.2m (2007)
God of War 3 (PS3) sold 4.4m (2010)
God of War ... Olympus (PSP) sold 3m (2008)
God  of War ... Sparta (PSP) sold 800k (2010 after GOW3)
God of War Collection (PS3) sold 2.3m (2009)

Again. Home version did better than portable version and their sequels increased the sales trend. In fact the only portable version to do decently was the one that game out well before a home console version and look how well its sequel did. Hell the port of two old PS2 games almost did better than both portable copies. But really GoW isnt' a system seller in itself anyways.

I never said portable knock offs couldn't possible sell well. I said they won't sell systems. In both cases the portable versions sold initially well due to popularity of PS2 games. Then their sequels bombed in comparison. But the PS3 sequels both increased the sales from their PS2 counter parts... even considering PS3's far lower user base.

However, why don't you take say Pokemon of any color variation and compare it to any home console version. You'll see the exact opposite because here the main game... the unique experience is on the portable. That is the difference and that is a big reason why Nintendo handhelds dominate. Even at $200 the 3DSXL will sale well because of this. I now I plan on buying three before this year is out for my kids. But I wouldn't even consider the PSV yet as for $250 it has nothing I can't get out of my PS3.

You compare the gta in psp with the GTA sale in ps2+xbox and ps3+xbox360 so mario in gamecube and wii sold better than mario in 3ds

Like i said in 2009-2010 people lost interest in all psp games if Ghost of Sparta was lunching in 2007 it will sold like Olympus.

I psp games has a lower budget than ps3 .

How do you know God Of War and  Gta has not a system sellers?

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network

It needs a price cut. Then maybe it will start shifting off store shelves.

small44 said:

I actually didn't say that for GTA, but I did say that for GOW.

Look at the times when God of War launched. Did the hardware see a jump in sales and a sustained increase of some kind? No it didnt'.

However, look at what happenend to Wii when Wii Fit launched or Mario Kart Wii. Wii saw a jump in sales and continued to have higher levels for quite some time.

360 did the same with the first Gears of War and Kinect. PS3 did that really with only price and hardware changes. Nothing else individually jumped its hardware, at least nothing I can directly think of.

PSP saw big shift with Monster Hunter.

DS saw big shifts with Brain Training, NSMB, and Mario Kart.

3DS saw it with a price cut+Mario Kart (probably mostly price cut) and will probably see another long term shift with NSMB2. Watch when this year 3DS has a large YOY increase in sales both during and afer the holidays.

superchunk said:
small44 said:

I actually didn't say that for GTA, but I did say that for GOW.

Look at the times when God of War launched. Did the hardware see a jump in sales and a sustained increase of some kind? No it didnt'.

However, look at what happenend to Wii when Wii Fit launched or Mario Kart Wii. Wii saw a jump in sales and continued to have higher levels for quite some time.

360 did the same with the first Gears of War and Kinect. PS3 did that really with only price and hardware changes. Nothing else individually jumped its hardware, at least nothing I can directly think of.

PSP saw big shift with Monster Hunter.

DS saw big shifts with Brain Training, NSMB, and Mario Kart.

3DS saw it with a price cut+Mario Kart (probably mostly price cut) and will probably see another long term shift with NSMB2. Watch when this year 3DS has a large YOY increase in sales both during and afer the holidays.

Gamecube got a mario but it fail .

Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

45k per week is not a good thing....

Around the Network
logic56 said:

only one million units behind, for a moment there I thought it was selling bad lol

superchuck I have to ask, what your obsession with the Vita, does it make you sad that despite it's sales it's still receiving a lot of games and support? does it break your heart that the people that own one really enjoy it? Seriously man it's getting sad, this thread has literally no reason to exist, it's telling no one anything they didn't already know and or could easily find out with all the other handheld sales threads so why are you trying so hard? is Mario truly that boring?

One million behind while PSP was only available in Japan and North America. In a few more months when PSP data would include PAL regions....

I don't have an obsession with Vita. I've made two threads for it. One saying it should have been a smartphone (I would have gotten it then as well as that being an original topic) and this one mostly because I wanted to use the new charts for something and of all the threads about Vita so far, non actually compared its sales to anything. I was curious how it was actually doing in comparison to PSP, which I view as a success for Sony.

small44 said:

Gamecube made Nintendo a lot money for its measely 22m sales. But relatively speaking... yes it was failure. However, I don't see how that is any part of our discussion on the lack of system selling IPs on Vita. btw, Gamecube had arguably the worst Mario game ever created.

mario in gamecube sold well but gamecube fail what i would say a console can succeed just will 1 popular IP like Mario or Monster Hunter.

Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

3DS - 80m

superchunk said:
small44 said:

Gamecube made Nintendo a lot money for its measely 24m sales. But relatively speaking... yes it was failure. However, I don't see how that is any part of our discussion on the lack of system selling IPs on Vita. btw, Gamecube had arguably the worst Mario game ever created.

Was there ever any kind of official confirmation that the gamecube made Nintendo money?  I mean, I can believe it, they seem to have had a smart business model in the past.  But I thought all of their profits from that era were muddled in with the GBA dominating the market, making it difficult to tell how much money - if any - the Gamecube made.  Unless there's some other information I haven't seen, of course.

edit: Not to add insult to injury too, but Gamecube was 22m, it was Xbox that was 24m.

Sunshine is amazing, imo its better than Galaxy