By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - DOTA 2 will be free-to-play, but will “have some twists,” says Gabe

The twist is only people with a beta code can play it even on launch. It's gone up to 40k constant players and I still don't have a code, Valve are mocking me.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Zarx is interested but he already has post more than a few threads on the matter. Wasn't the first one free as well, since it was basically not really even a game, but something made by users?

hey just because they invited me to the Beta doesn't mean I am interested lol. And yes the origonal was a free custom map for WC3, but more importantly League of Legends which is the biggest MOBA arround right now is free to play. 

I am interested in how these twists to F2P will be implemented because personally I don't really see how they would work from what little has been said. As for the game it's self I just don't really have the patiance to spend the time required to learn how to play a MOBA, it's not really something you can just drop in and play a fun round, not without being yelled at and going 0/15/1...

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

spurgeonryan said:
Zarx is interested but he already has post more than a few threads on the matter. Wasn't the first one free as well, since it was basically not really even a game, but something made by users?

Think of it as a mod, but you still need to buy the core game to play said mod. 

Panama said:
The twist is only people with a beta code can play it even on launch. It's gone up to 40k constant players and I still don't have a code, Valve are mocking me.

They gave them out to everyone who was scaned for the last Hardware survey lol

@TheVoxelman on twitter

zarx said:
Panama said:

Whaaaaat, I have a top comp, what were the requirements?

Around the Network
Panama said:
zarx said:
Panama said:

Whaaaaat, I have a top comp, what were the requirements?

well you have to have accepted the prompt to say you were ok with Valve collecting anonymous information about your system at some point and after that it is a random sample every few months or so. Check you inventory (little envelope in the top right) you may have a key and not know it.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

pezus said:

I hear Valve will be implementing a very good system for beginners to learn, including trainers and bots to play against.

It's still a massive investment of time to learn the game 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

pezus said:
zarx said:
pezus said:

I hear Valve will be implementing a very good system for beginners to learn, including trainers and bots to play against.

It's still a massive investment of time to learn the game 

Well, yes, but at least you won't be playing against elite guys if you're a beginner. In the end, learning to play is sooo worth it

you don't have to be playing with elites to get shit lol, have gotten shit from people worse than me, that blame everyone else for them doing bad. It's such a competitive game where everyone on the team has to do well and it's easy to fall behind with a couple early deaths and you become fodder, Valve are trying their best to keep the comunity clean and make it easier to learn but that ellement of the game is not going to go away. I was never that big on competitive gaming anyway, at least not with randoms, I have never been able to play one game until I got good it's just not me I will play 5 different games at the same time bouncing bettween them but I won't spend 200h on one it just gets boring to me, hell I have trouble finnishing games that are more than 40h.

I will drop into a match of SC2 occasionally as the matchmaking is good and it's 1 on 1 so I don't have to worry about letting a team down. But even with that I am not going to spend the hours to get good so I am still in bronze/Silver. And I love SC2, and if I can get a few freinds to play even better. I mean if I had 5 freinds together at arround my skill level to play DOTA 2 as a team I may do that but that probably isn't going to happen, I only know 2 other people that play DOTA 2 and they just started because I sent them my spare keys.

Things change but I don't see myself getting into it any time soon. Unless freinds pressure me into it, they do that occasionally.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Pretty much as expected.

I bet they'll run a system a lot like League of Legends... which is also technically Free 2 Play.

Yep, pretty excited about this. I always played a variant of DOTA which was made for age of mythology.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive