By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Mafia Round 39 - Resonance of Fate Arena

Final-Fan said:
If all you do is lurk, your only contribution to the town is to be a suspicious person (lurkers are suspicious). Better to eliminate a "possible mafia" slot now if that's all you're going to be.

That is what I meant by detriment to the town.

Yes, and as I said, many previous games were a failure to town because of that. We actually need something to go on instead of jumping into a seemingly unimportant mis-ynch.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:

You're being vague. For starters, define your terms: what do YOU consider to be "off-topic chattering"? I also have no idea what you mean re: Rol and "game defining clue."

For reference sake, I'm looking at page 5 (50 posts/page), where you made your post. It marks the beginning of regular activity in this thread. My reading of the situation is quite different from the one you're positing here.

Although an addendum to something I said earlier: radish voted for a time limit before you did. I was wrong about that fact.

I looked at many posts and didn't see anything really worthy of the game.

And what I meant about Rol is that he coming was cool, but it was worthless for the game's progression.

Final-Fan said:
And I don't see how it makes sense that you wanted the day to end, and you didn't want to lynch anyone, yet you didn't want to vote to end the day without lynching anyone (which is what a "No Lynch" vote is).

I was waiting for something.

And not casting a vote is closer to "No Lynch"  than casting a vote.

I'm pretty satisfied with moreno's responses- imo we shouldn't lynch him today.

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

morenoingrato said:
Final-Fan said:
If all you do is lurk, your only contribution to the town is to be a suspicious person (lurkers are suspicious). Better to eliminate a "possible mafia" slot now if that's all you're going to be.

Yes, and as I said, many previous games were a failure to town because of that. We actually need something to go on instead of jumping into a seemingly unimportant mis-ynch.

You're wrong.  There is no benefit to having a person around who never posts.  The only thing that person does is draw suspicion, because they could be mafia.  They don't contribute.  There is nothing they say that people can use to draw conclusions about alignment etc.  They exist only to serve as camouflage for mafia (if they are not mafia themselves). 

It is much better to lynch such a person than to do a No Lynch.  I defy you to identify a game where the town lost because they lynched a lurker instead of No Lynching. 

It's pointless to say that town loses because of too many mislynches.  Of course they do!  But that doesn't mean that we should be paralyzed by not knowing for a fact that you're mafia.  That just gives all the killing power to the mafia. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

Maybe I misread it, but I saw that message as "I said that Rol being in the game was great, but I realise that didn't add anything to the game's progression"

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

RolStoppable said:
You know, forget what I just said. That moreno guy had the nerve to call my participation worthless to the game, even though the activity within the last day almost equals the progress of the first three days. We are closer to an actual lynch than ever before.

"That moreno guy"

I didn't mean your participation is worthless, I meant that you coming to the game and replacing another user is nothing to go by.

Final-Fan said:

You're wrong.  There is no benefit to having a person around who never posts.  The only thing that person does is draw suspicion, because they could be mafia.  They don't contribute.  There is nothing they say that people can use to draw conclusions about alignment etc.  They exist only to serve as camouflage for mafia (if they are not mafia themselves). 

It is much better to lynch such a person than to do a No Lynch.  I defy you to identify a game where the town lost because they lynched a lurker instead of No Lynching. 

It's pointless to say that town loses because of too many mislynches.  Of course they do!  But that doesn't mean that we should be paralyzed by not knowing for a fact that you're mafia.  That just gives all the killing power to the mafia. 

But mis-lynching too much is not a lot better either.

morenoingrato said:
Final-Fan said:
And I don't see how it makes sense that you wanted the day to end, and you didn't want to lynch anyone, yet you didn't want to vote to end the day without lynching anyone (which is what a "No Lynch" vote is).

I was waiting for something.

And not casting a vote is closer to "No Lynch"  than casting a vote.

1.  Such as? 

2.  Uh, what?  Seriously, I have no idea what you mean by this.  There is no better way to express your opinion that the day should end without lynching anyone than voting "No Lynch" and I would be delighted to hear your argument to the contrary. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

morenoingrato said:
Final-Fan said:

While I understand this can be true from a certain perspective, it is not correct from the realistic perspective. Someone the town lynches is likely a person that town was not feeling very confident about. Had that person be given the chance to live, sure they might be cleared, or something else might happen, but it also allows for a suspicious player to live down the line.

If we mislynch all the suspicious townies, it helps us to narrow down the mafia, because when we need to be accurate we aren't being distracted by suspicious townies putting their foot in their mouths.

Think about it. Someone who makes slips could be town or mafia. If they're town, you mislynch early...well, he could have been mafia. If you keep him alive instead, he will continue to be a doubt in people's minds, and furthermore, if he's copped, it's nearly a waste since that copping would have been more useful on a player that is hard to read.

That being said, it's not a good idea to lynch a townie NO MATTER WHAT. However, mislynches are always going to happen as lynches themselves are calculated risks, therefore, it's not a terrible idea to lynch someone you're unsure about even if they turn up town, because you will very rarely be confident in lynching even the mafia.