By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Cure for cancer, aids, Alzheimer research. Gamers HELP!

Guys if you all want to help research for any of these horrible deseases go to folding@home and foldit to help out.  You may be able to help scientist cure these deseases.

Gamers Redesign a Protein That Stumped Scientists for Years

Folding: it's detestable and boring, as any Gap employee can tell you. But it's also a totally fun thing you can do in a video game! And today it's particularly exciting because players of the online game Foldit haveredesigned a protein, and their work is published in the science journal Nature Biotechnology.

It seems nobler than shooting people in the face, somehow. Granted, Foldit attracts a unique kind of gamer who enjoys obsessing over biological protein folding patterns. Proteins get their function from the way they are folded into coils like in the image above. When the amino acids in a protein interact, they create that coiled, three-dimensional structure. Scientists can manipulate the structure to make the protein more efficient. In Foldit, designs that create the most efficient proteins garner the highest scores.

University of Washington in Seattle scientists Zoran Popovic, director of the Center for Game Science, and biochemist David Baker developed Foldit (which is different fromFolding@home, Stanford software that lets people donate their idle computer processing power to create a protein-folding supercomputer). By playing it, at-home gamers have redesigned a protein for the first time, and they did it better and faster than scientists who have trained their entire careers to build better proteins. Justin Siegel, a biophysicist in Baker's group told Scientific American:

I worked for two years to make these enzymes better and I couldn't do it. Foldit players were able to make a large jump in structural space and I still don't fully understand how they did it.

Here's how it works: Researchers send a series of puzzles to Foldit's 240,000 registered users. The scientists sift through the results for the best designs and take those into the lab for real-life testing. They combed through 180,000 designs to get to the version of the protein published today. The paper details an enzyme that thanks to the crowdsourced redesign is 18-fold more active than the original version.

Now for the anticlimactic part: this particular enzyme doesn't really have any practical uses. But the researchers say it's a proof of concept, and future Foldit designs will be more useful. In fact, Baker has fed players a protein that blocks the flu virus that led to the 1918 pandemic—and their puzzle solving for this one could lead to an actual drug.

Once again guys, if you all want to help that would be great. 

Around the Network

One way to reduce cancer would be to stop eating garbage known as processed foods.

sethnintendo said:
One way to reduce cancer would be to stop eating garbage known as processed foods.

Yeah, thanks for the tip jerk.  Do you have any idea of all the things that cause cancer?  Because there is more to it than that.  My girlfriend has cancer and she is 17 so I would really appreciate you not being such a jerk and actually comment on the thread instead of giving your opinion about processed food.  There is so many things that cause cancer now these days.

JayWood2010 said:
sethnintendo said:

Yeah, thanks for the tip jerk.  Do you have any idea of all the things that cause cancer?  Because there is more to it than that.  My girlfriend has cancer and she is 17 so I would really appreciate you not being such a jerk and actually comment on the thread instead of giving your opinion about processed food.  There is so many things that cause cancer now these days.

It is a fact that what you eat directly relates to cancer rates.  Sure it isn't the cure all but it would help reduce a lot of different types of cancer.   Thanks for calling me a jerk twice though.

JayWood2010 said:
sethnintendo said:

She is 17 and got cancer?

Wich one: Leukemia, Thymoma, teratoma, thyroid, ovary?

I don't know about him, but I have a pratty good idea of most of the things that cause cancer.
Eating to much certain tipes of food, drinking alchool regulary, smoking, to much sun exposure, genetic pre-disposition, radiation, becoming old enough, etc....

Around the Network

Cancer cells arise everyday. It is up to your body to locate and kill these abnormal cells. If you want to play me off as uneducated fool then you have another thing coming. I have a BS degree which means I took a shitload of science courses. So take your high horse position trying to make me look like a prick just because you have a girlfriend with cancer. Your guilt trip is nothing but bs.  I'm done with this thread and it looks like it never took off in the first place.  Have fun.

Its all the mutants fault!  Considering that Cancer = Mutated Cells, we should atleast blame those who are responsible!

Proud user of Folding

sethnintendo said:

Cancer cells arise everyday. It is up to your body to find, locate, and kill these abnormal cells. If you guys want to play me off as uneducated fool then you have another thing coming. I have a BS degree which means I took a shitload of science courses. So take your high horse position trying to make me look like a prick just because you have a girlfriend with cancer. Your guilt trip is nothing but bs.  I'm done with this thread and it looks like it never took off in the first place.  Have fun.

I hope you're not including me, since I have reitarated the food thing.

sethnintendo said:

Cancer cells arise everyday. It is up to your body to locate and kill these abnormal cells. If you want to play me off as uneducated fool then you have another thing coming. I have a BS degree which means I took a shitload of science courses. So take your high horse position trying to make me look like a prick just because you have a girlfriend with cancer. Your guilt trip is nothing but bs.  I'm done with this thread and it looks like it never took off in the first place.  Have fun.

Dude do you think Im trying to guilt you?  No, i just think you are being a jerk simple as that.  A lot more things cause cancer than what you said.  You sound a little bitter?  Why so?

PSaiki said:
JayWood2010 said:
sethnintendo said:

She is 17 and got cancer?

Wich one: Leukemia, Thymoma, teratoma, thyroid, ovary?

I don't know about him, but I have a pratty good idea of most of the things that cause cancer.
Eating to much certain tipes of food, drinking alchool regulary, smoking, to much sun exposure, genetic pre-disposition, radiation, becoming old enough, etc....

It's ovary

And yeah it seems like everything causes cancer these days.  I drink propel which is supposedly suppose to be healthy but it is said that may cause cancer as well.  Hopefully they will find a cure one day.  And not just for cancer but for all the other diseases too.