By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Abu Dhabi - FORMULA 1 2015

Sutil secures Force India race seat 28 Feb 2013

Force India have confirmed that Adrian Sutil will race for them in 2013, ending the long-running speculation over who would claim the vacant seat at the team alongside Paul di Resta.

Sutil, 30, competed for the Silverstone-based squad between 2007 and 2011, before losing his drive to fellow German Nico Hulkenberg. However, after giving Sutil a run in their new Mercedes-powered VJM06 at last week’s Barcelona test, Force India have opted to re-sign him.

“I’m delighted to be back in Formula One, especially with a team I know so well,” said Sutil. “I’m very happy and I want to thank Sahara Force India for giving me a second chance. Having been away from the sport, I’m even more determined to achieve my goals in Formula One.

“Things went really well at the Barcelona test last week and it almost feels as though I’ve never been away. Driving the car felt so natural and I was able to get back in the groove quickly and find the limit. Now my focus is on making the most of the final test session this week, working with the team in the simulator and getting myself in the best possible shape for Melbourne.”

Force India team principal Vijay Mallya said the decision to hire Sutil instead of the team’s 2012 reserve driver Jules Bianchi was not easy: “It was a close call, but ultimately we felt that Adrian’s experience and historic links to the team gave him the edge, and will provide us with the best possible chance of realising our ambitions for the coming season.

“If he can rediscover the exceptional form he showed in the second half of 2011, I’m confident that we can pick up where we left off at the end of 2012.

“As for Jules Bianchi, he has impressed us enormously with his speed and work ethic, and I’m hopeful we can continue working with him this year to help him develop into a future Grand Prix driver.”

Sutil’s confirmation means that all 11 teams have now announced their 2013 driver line-ups. Sutil, who has 90 Grand Prix starts behind him, will get his second outing behind the wheel of the VJM06 in Barcelona on Friday. He’ll continue driving duties on Saturday before handing the car back to team mate Di Resta for the final day of pre-season testing on Sunday.

Around the Network
FASTEST TIMES
P Driver Team Time
1  Webber Red Bull  1m27.487s [medium tyres]
2  Gutierrez Sauber  1m27.942s  +0.455
3  Perez McLaren  1m29.337s  +1.850
4  Hamilton Mercedes  1m31.184s  +3.697
5  Bottas Williams  1m31.187s  +3.700
6  Massa Ferrari  1m31.773s  +4.286
7  Pic Caterham  1m33.139s  +5.652
8  Chilton Marussia  1m40.419s  +12.932
9  Grosjean Lotus  1m41.306s  +13.819
10  Vergne Toro Rosso  1m42.155s  +14.668
11  di Resta Force India  1m43.608s  +16.121
All timing unofficial. Updated: 15:05 GMT

Will post the final times in an hour and a half.

Webber grabbed Red Bulls first chart topper on the first day of the last test session setting his time of  1m22.693s of the soft tire.

The Australian set his fastest time of the day in the afternoon after heavy rain had blighted the morning session. Lewis Hamilton was second fastest for Mercedes, with Jean-Eric Vergne third for Toro Rosso.

P Driver Team Time
1  Webber Red Bull  1m22.693s [90 laps]
2  Hamilton Mercedes  1m24.348s  +1.655 [113 laps]
3  Vergne Toro Rosso  1m25.017s  +2.324 [59 laps]
4  Bottas Williams  1m26.458s  +3.765 [85 laps]
5  Perez McLaren  1m26.538s  +3.845 [100 laps]
6  Gutierrez Sauber  1m26.574s  +3.881 [92 laps]
7  di Resta Force India  1m27.107s  +4.414 [57 laps]
8  Massa Ferrari  1m27.541s  +4.848 [112 laps]
9  Chilton Marussia  1m28.166s  +5.473 [78 laps]
10  Pic Caterham  1m28.644s  +5.951 [83 laps]
11  Grosjean Lotus  1m34.928s  +12.235 [52 laps]

Tires available today were the:

• supersoft
  • soft
  • medium
  • hard
  • intermidiate
  • wet

Testing resumes at the Barcelona F1 track tomorrow.

all teams full then now,we'll have to mention the new drivers on the teams

qualy and race conditions is when we'll know if anyone can battle vettel and Alonso

I wonder if they have changed anything about qualy this year

Above & Beyond

zuvuyeay said:

qualy and race conditions is when we'll know if anyone can battle vettel and Alonso

Italic: I reckon Raikonnon might put up a true fight with the new and improved E21, perhaps Webber, Massa and Button as well.

Bold: as far as I'm aware the previously stated changes [DRS only in zones], team curfew hours are the only real ones.

Around the Network
Proclus said:
zuvuyeay said:

Italic: I reckon Raikonnon might put up a true fight with the new and improved E21, perhaps Webber, Massa and Button as well.

Bold: as far as I'm aware the previously stated changes [DRS only in zones], team curfew hours are the only real ones.

thats right drs like the race not all the time,i think,

i agree raikonnen could bust some balls with vettel and alonso and if button,webber,perez and massa sort their shizzle out they always have a chance i guess

don't know about mercs but obviously if its quick enough hamilton will get you there

Above & Beyond

zuvuyeay said:
Proclus said:
zuvuyeay said:

thats right drs like the race not all the time,i think,

i agree raikonnen could bust some balls with vettel and alonso and if button,webber,perez and massa sort their shizzle out they always have a chance i guess

don't know about mercs but obviously if its quick enough hamilton will get you there

Hmmm, I think Hamilton or Rosberg have said Mercedes isn't quite there yet, probably reliability or something. :)

Romain Grosjean has become the first driver to top the times more than once in pre-season testing using the soft tires.

The Frenchman finishes 0.465 seconds faster than Jenson Button in second who was using the medium tires.

Pastor Maldonado finishes third and reigning World Champion Sebastian Vettel finishes fourth on another day that saw the morning session plagued by rain before drying up.

STANDINGS
1) Grosjean - 1:22.716 - 88 laps
2) Button - 1:23.181 - 72
3) Maldonado - 1:23.628 - 75
4) Vettel - 1:23.743 - 65
5) Hulkenberg - 1:23.744 - 79
6) Sutil - 1:24.215 - 62
7) Ricciardo - 1:25.483 - 61
8) Chilton - 1:25.598 - 75
9) Van der Garde - 1:26.316 - 48
10) Rosberg - 1:27.6655 - 120
11) Alonso - 1:27.878 - 102

Well this is a major surprise that Jules Bianchi will now replace Luis Razia for Marussia even before starting his Formula 1 career: http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/17581/8532251/Jules-Bianchi-replaces-Luiz-Razia-at-Marussia

Rainbow Yoshi said:
Well this is a major surprise that Jules Bianchi will now replace Luis Razia for Marussia even before starting his Formula 1 career: http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/17581/8532251/Jules-Bianchi-replaces-Luiz-Razia-at-Marussia

That took less than a month, shortest drive ever for a F1 team? :P Guess the financial situation was a big severe.