By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Upcoming Mexican Elections: Who should I vote for?

So, this year, there are elections in my country (Mexico). I don't like any of the candidates, I dont know what to do.

There will be 3 candidates, the one with thw most popular vote wins. That simple.

The candidates are:

Enrique Peña Nieto by the PRI, PANAL and Green party coalition.

He is the candidate of the PRI (Party of the institutionalized Revolution), the party that governed Mexico for 71 years straight (from the end of the revolution until year 2000). It commited a lot of fraud to stay in power and was almost a state party. It was very corrupt, but after the revolution the country was completely broke, and they rebuild the country. The other parties, PANAL, was created by the corrupt leader of the teachers syndicate and the green one is almost like a family business with no concern for the ecology.

This is the candidate:

Name: Enrique Peña Nieto

He studied in law school and has a master in public management. He is moderetely right winged.

Before he was a local congressman of The state of mexico, after that he became governor of that state.

He has a lot of support by the media. The problem, he looks an ignorant man, who doesn't has any culture, and looks more like an actor. He was made by the TV, he is not a leader, hasn't any idea of anything, he just has lots of advisors. Plus it would be the return of the corrupt PRI... I don't want that. Plus, he appears on TV, and talks a lot, but never talks of any proposal.

AMLO (Andrés Manuel López Obrador) by the PRD (Party of the democratic revolution) PT (Labour party) and MC (Citizen movement) coalition.

This is the leftist coalitiion. A far left party (PT), a left party (PRD; the biggest party of the 3) and a moderate left party (MC). The PRD won the 1988 election, but after a fraud, the PRI continued on power. The last elections (2006) they were runner up (with the same candidate), they had 35.31% of the votes, the winners had 35.89%.

The candidate is:

Name: Andres Manuel lopez obrador

H is a long time politician. Has had lots of positions in different government. Including Mexico city mayor. He is a leftist, and lots of his supporters are far-leftists. I voted for him in the pasts elections. The problem is, after he lost, he said it was a fraud, paralized mexico city, and had a bad behaviour. Plus, he has been 6 years in campaign without any position. I don't like that, but i Think Mexico need to get away of thi neoliberal system we've had since 1982.Although, I think he is not the men to do that.

Finally The Pan (the party in power). Hasn't decided their candidate. They have this 3 precandidates:

One looks and acts like Mr. Bean, but the actual president wants him to be his succesor. The lady, is the best option, although se hasn't been the best public servant. The last one is a flip flopper who was als oa precandidate last time, and he hasn't a chance.

The main problem is His Party PAN (right-winged) has done a terrible job for the last 12 years. And I won't vote for a rightist party.

Now...None of the candidates looks like a good president for me. All of them would be bad presidents. What Should I do? Void my vote????? Does this happens in your country???? What can an ordinary citizen do, when al the presidential options suck????

Around the Network

I'll just keep my support for López Obrador once more; even when I think that he was kind of emotionally disturbed after the post electoral conflict, i think it's understandable and he seems pretty reasonable right now, besides I like most of his propositions and México City did pretty well when he was chief of government.

I live in Baja California, a state where we there's never been a left wing government and I'm just sick of witnessing the atrocities of the governments from the PAN and PRI.

Whichever one lets the US annex Mexico

Seriously, it looks like all the choices are bad. You either get corrupt leftists or corrupt center-right parties, it seems.

At this point, I think annexation is about your only hope, sadly.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I don't know much about Mexican politics but that first guy looks like he'd make a good President in a movie. I say we vote for him!

Which one is going to stop the drug violence?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Thanks for making the thread! I was hoping someone would do it. It's hard to choose. I have been watching Canal de Las Estrellas (because I like to be ahead in Mexican telenovelas lol) and haven't seen much of political messages from the canidates. Most of the commercials are either sponsering a party or for voting registration.  I remember watchign Univision and they had interviewed some of the presidential candidates. I remember shaking my head at all of them but it seems Andres Manuel lopez obrador is the best out of the choices.

I'll look more into their political positions. 

d21lewis said:
I don't know much about Mexican politics but that first guy looks like he'd make a good President in a movie. I say we vote for him!

Looks like the villain to me

This is Pena's family. He married the Mexican soap actress Angélica Rivera. As you can tell he fits perfectly for TV SPOTLIGHT, but as for politics I don't know. My knoweldge about the parties and candidates is far too low. He does have charisma.

Andrés Manuel López of PDR seems adequate but he lacks charisma and it's hard to follow him in all the interviews I've seen. He talks to slow -___-

Here is a Televisa interview:

He emphasizes that Mexico lacks organization and needs a REAL transformation. He notes that corruption within the government is a problem that has to be fixed. Operations have been hammered by organization that leads to lack of efficiency. The regime of corruption has to end and marks that his  tranformation would be inevitable. He adopts that values have been lost and is also a factor for the corruption and violence in the country. He states that love must be maintained within the family, community, and environment.

So far I would vote if I could for Lopez Obrador

Seece said:
d21lewis said:

Looks like the villain to me

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nations-slickedbackhair-men-rally-against-negative,2449/

Couldn't have happened at a better time. 

Nation's Slicked-Back-Hair Men Rally Against Negative Hollywood Portrayal

May 12, 2008 | ISSUE 44•20

Mexican politics are hardly my forte, but vote for whoever you believe will crack down on the cartels the most.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype