By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Guitar Hero Dev talks about the Wii

http://www.nintendorevolution.ca/04182007/17/huang_talks_nintendo_wii_guitar_hero_iii

Huang Talks Nintendo Wii Guitar Hero III

Guitar Hero III on Wii very well might wind up being the best version of the bunch. In a recent interview, RedOctane co-founder of RedOctane Kai Haung gave a few tidbits about the upcoming title.

"We are really excited about the Nintendo Wii game because there are so many options for the Wiimote," beamed Huang to IGN. "However, you will play the game with a guitar peripheral and it will be similar to a guitar you've seen in the past. It will have all the features of the other versions of Guitar Hero III and some new Wii-specific features."

"We are currently working with Neversoft and they are not only one of the best developers within Activision, I also think they're one of the best developers in the world," he continued. "We are currently working on Guitar Hero III for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii and I can assure fans that what we are working on for Guitar Hero is taking the series to a whole new level. There will be online play, more downloadable music and features that make the offline multiplayer better."

Around the Network

If they are planning a guitar peripheral for the Wii version, then what would the Wiimote be used for? I can't think of anything that would stand out in the Wii version of the game.

Arcturus said:
If they are planning a guitar peripheral for the Wii version, then what would the Wiimote be used for? I can't think of anything that would stand out in the Wii version of the game.

Well, in theory, you could combine the two, having a guitar remote with a slot for the Wiimote to fit in, allowing you to controll something or other by swinging your guitar around (showmanship points?) of course that's just some senseless speculation. This is probably just a case of dev's saying what they usually do - Their product will be awesome.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Arcturus said:

Well I can imagine a guitar pheripheral where you can isert the wii into. Then if you move the guitar the guitarist on screen follow your movements and you make points for good coreographies. Or, at the opposite, you must follow the movements of the guitarist on the screen while playing.

GH2 already allows you to tilt the guitar to influence the game.

I'm not sure what a Wiimote snapped into a guitar could do for this game, really.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network
Arcturus said:

Lets say they do nothing special with it, EXCEPT they simply have it pluged into the guiltar (where the nunchuck normally would be) and it sensing the tilt to activate star power, rather than putting that into the guiltar. Would this make the guiltar sold separatly cheaper? That would be a big bonus on its own.

A delayed game is good someday, a bad game is bad forever.

Narfer said:
Arcturus said:

Lets say they do nothing special with it, EXCEPT they simply have it pluged into the guiltar (where the nunchuck normally would be) and it sensing the tilt to activate star power, rather than putting that into the guiltar. Would this make the guiltar sold separatly cheaper? That would be a big bonus on its own.

Probably not. The tilt sensor probably only costs a few dollars. They would have to spend a lot more in development costs to design a whole new guitar controller for the Wii.  My guess is that they would save more by using a standard controller for all platforms than to create a separate one for the Wii.

Arcturus said:
Narfer said:
Arcturus said:

Probably not. The tilt sensor probably only costs a few dollars. They would have to spend a lot more in development costs to design a whole new guitar controller for the Wii. My guess is that they would save more by using a standard controller for all platforms than to create a separate one for the Wii.

Not necessarily. Designing a "cheaper"guitar wouldn't cost a lot (when they already have existing designs), and if production is even $10 cheaper that makes a large difference over half a mill (or more) units. Most of the electronics, bluetooth, comms - all comes for free with the Wii. Just need to interface into the Wiimote.

Haven't played enough GH2, but the Wii version *should* have better tilt 1-1 control for the guitar (which really doesn't mean much :>). Depends what other features they plan to add to GH3.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Arcturus said:

How about no HDD means they have to include all the tracks on the disc, and can't force us to buy them, just like the PS2 version?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Other then SMG & SSB  i can't wait for this one. I hope the price will be under $70. Since i only own the Wii at the moment i have yet to play any of the GH games. :(

WiiFit will be 2008 #1 selling game in NORTH AMERICA!  
End of '08 Predictions: Wii - 48m X360 - 25m  PS3 - 19m
Wii monthly NA sales will top 400k every month in '08. *Jan sales ruined it. Grrrr!*
WiiFit will top 1m in sales in its first month of release in North America.
MGS4 will NOT be released in '08. *Darn it!* FF13 will NOT be released in '08.
Rockband Wii will top 600k in first month sales in North America.
WiiFit will pass the PS3 WW sales by Xmas '09.